The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U235XXX
On the cambridge website some colleges have "preparatory study at interview" for economics as an assement means. What exactly is that?

When you get there, but before your interview, they'll give you something to read, and then in the interview itself they'll ask you questions on it.
Hi,
Anyone sent off their UCAS application yet ?
Reply 2602
Original post by economyst
Hi,
Anyone sent off their UCAS application yet ?

Nope, waiting for references etc. :smile:
Where do you put your UMS for Cambridge? My school says that they mention good module scores in their references but is there somewhere on the SAQ where you put it in? Also same question for UCL except they don't have a SAQ :confused:
Anyone else struggling to write a good conclusion for the personal statement?
Anyone got any good tips??
Original post by crazy1234
Anyone else struggling to write a good conclusion for the personal statement?
Anyone got any good tips??

My conclusion is horrible compared to the rest of my PS, school are saying it's of Oxbridge quality and then it gets to the last 3 lines and... well the teachers aren't loving it like they love the rest :frown:
Original post by 94george94
My conclusion is horrible compared to the rest of my PS, school are saying it's of Oxbridge quality and then it gets to the last 3 lines and... well the teachers aren't loving it like they love the rest :frown:

Same here! Well my conclusion is not horrible but it is by far the least interesting part of my PS... So I will try to change that somehow but it is really not easy ...
Original post by nightmare91
Same here! Well my conclusion is not horrible but it is by far the least interesting part of my PS... So I will try to change that somehow but it is really not easy ...

And when I look at the example PSs for Econ. on TSR they all seem very similar, I want to go out with a bang!
And when I look at the example PSs for Econ. on TSR they all seem very similar, I want to go out with a bang!

True! But what is there to say in the end. You have basically already stated why you are interested in the subject and in the end you can only conclude that those things show your suitability for the course... I don't know. It really is difficult and as you already said, all the PS on TSR kind of have a similar conclusion.
Reply 2609
Original post by Psychotic546
Where do you put your UMS for Cambridge? My school says that they mention good module scores in their references but is there somewhere on the SAQ where you put it in? Also same question for UCL except they don't have a SAQ :confused:

There is place on the Cambridge SAQ, and for UCL you can put it in the 'Other' box for the modules, so you put it as say grade A and then in the other box write (52/60) or whatever the score was :smile:
About writing a conclusion...I remember something about linking it back to the begining from gcse english lessons. Refering to economics specifically may be more relevant in this case.
Reply 2611
Original post by perrytheplatypus
About writing a conclusion...I remember something about linking it back to the begining from gcse english lessons. Refering to economics specifically may be more relevant in this case.

At first my ending was really general like a lot of PSs I have read, but my PS helper told me to make it more specific to economics instead of going with the traditional "I feel I can add a lot to the university by participating in XYZ" which I agree with I suppose :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
At first my ending was really general like a lot of PSs I have read, but my PS helper told me to make it more specific to economics instead of going with the traditional "I feel I can add a lot to the university by participating in XYZ" which I agree with I suppose :tongue:

Mine is mainly related to Econ. though I have used something quite generic about adding to the student community etc.
It's best to remember, we are applying for very competitive universities.

I had to get rid of some extra curriculars. A word of wisdom for all: don't add any ec for the sake of it. Link it to YOU being awesome! (without saying i.e. Young enterprise made me awesome, etc.)
Reply 2614
Mine is mainly related to Econ. though I have used something quite generic about adding to the student community etc.

It's best to remember, we are applying for very competitive universities.

I had to get rid of some extra curriculars. A word of wisdom for all: don't add any ec for the sake of it. Link it to YOU being awesome! (without saying i.e. Young enterprise made me awesome, etc.)

I literally don't mention anything that I don't relate to economics. I did young enterprise and didn't even mention it, do you think this is a bad thing? :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco
I literally don't mention anything that I don't relate to economics. I did young enterprise and didn't even mention it, do you think this is a bad thing? :s-smilie:

I did the same and I'm happy with my statement, so no, I think it's perfectly fine. If something can add more value to your statement, then you should put it in instead of YE.

My young enterprise stuff was terrible anyway :colonhash:
Reply 2616
I did the same and I'm happy with my statement, so no, I think it's perfectly fine. If something can add more value to your statement, then you should put it in instead of YE.

My young enterprise stuff was terrible anyway :colonhash:

I'm gonna leave it then, hopefully it will be something a bit different from the standard :smile:

Mine too, such a waste of time :facepalm:
Original post by Tateco

Don't worry, I didn't put YE, neither did I put going to LSE lectures in so...
But still I reckon quality over quantity.
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco

Don't think so. I did the same. Leave anything like that perhaps to the reference.
Original post by Tateco

LOL same. I did YE but I didnt put it in my PS, i simply dont have the space :cry2:

Besidese, EVERY economics applicant has YE- it aint something special anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending