The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inyourendo

Original post by Inyourendo
Hi,

Do the rooms have cork boards in them, or will I have to bring my own? I'm in UV if that make a difference. Thanks

It has a carpeted bit of wall that you can pin stuff in between the desk and shelves. So you won't need a cork board, but will need pins :p:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 61
I have a couple of questions.

1. I registered online, but the link won't work to link my bank to the website. I've done everything else and don't know if it's a problem everyone's having, if they'll be available later or whether to ask someone.

2. When people say they received a welcome pack from the UEA do they mean just the student handbook or other stuff as well?

3. How do we book stuff for freshers week as I've not seen any info on that yet.

Ok, that's it! Certainly for now, any help would be much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I have no idea for a "normal" course tbh. Best thing to do would be to find the academic year dates (they're on the UEA website) and work it out that way. Sorry! :o:

I don't know how I didn't find this thread sooner :colondollar:

How long is the medicine course in weeks etc. or how many holidays do you get? Also, do you get special accommodation plans for these longer courses or is it limited to 38 weeks? :biggrin:
Original post by HanniBean
I have a couple of questions.

1. I registered online, but the link won't work to link my bank to the website. I've done everything else and don't know if it's a problem everyone's having, if they'll be available later or whether to ask someone.

2. When people say they received a welcome pack from the UEA do they mean just the student handbook or other stuff as well?

3. How do we book stuff for freshers week as I've not seen any info on that yet.

Ok, that's it! Certainly for now, any help would be much appreciated. :smile:

1. I didn't have to link my back during the registration process... :confused

2. Yea the student handbook (the one with the diary thing in there) is the welcome pack and waas the only thing included in it.

3. Go to: http://www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/events/Default.aspx for a list of events you can book
Original post by Joseppea

Original post by Joseppea
I don't know how I didn't find this thread sooner :colondollar:

How long is the medicine course in weeks etc. or how many holidays do you get? Also, do you get special accommodation plans for these longer courses or is it limited to 38 weeks? :biggrin:

MODULE 1
Mon 19 Sep 2011
Fri 16 Dec 2011

XMAS
Mon 19 Dec 2011
Fri 13 Jan 2012

MODULE 1 (cont)
Mon 16 Jan 2012
Fri 27 Jan 2012

MODULE 2
Mon 30 Jan 2012
Fri 23 Mar 2012

EASTER
Mon 26 Mar 2012
Fri 13 Apr 2012

MODULE 2
Mon 16 Apr 2012
Fri 1 Jun 2012

INTEGRATIVE PERIOD
Mon 4 Jun 2012–
Fri 22 Jun 2012

You can work out the weeks :p:

And no, you have special lengthened accommodation contracts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but..... if we go home during the holidays, do we still pay for the accommodation even though we won't be using it?

Also while I;m here, when is the last day of UEA?
Original post by mrdoovde1

Sorry if this is a stupid question but..... if we go home during the holidays, do we still pay for the accommodation even though we won't be using it?

Also while I;m here, when is the last day of UEA?

Yes. But it means you don't have to move your stuff out :awesome:

And officially it's the 8th of June, but depending what course you're on, your exams may finish way earlier so you can leave earlier :yep:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yes. But it means you don't have to move your stuff out :awesome:

And officially it's the 8th of June, but depending what course you're on, your exams may finish way earlier so you can leave earlier :yep:

:frown: I'd rather move my stuff out rather than pay around £1,000 for a room I'm not gonna be in
They only charge you for the weeks you're actually there. So you don't pay for your room over the holidays, but you can keep your stuff there. So much less effort than moving everything in and out three times a year.
Original post by pigwigeon
They only charge you for the weeks you're actually there. So you don't pay for your room over the holidays, but you can keep your stuff there. So much less effort than moving everything in and out three times a year.

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up
:frown: I'd rather move my stuff out rather than pay around £1,000 for a room I'm not gonna be in

Original post by pigwigeon

Yes, they do charge you for the holidays. A standard academic year is 30 weeks but a standard accommodation license is 38, to cover the Christmas and Easter holidays. It means that the room is yours for the whole year and you can stay in it and leave your stuff in it for as long as you want. But yes, you do have to pay for that time.
Just to clear this up!

The contract you sign with us is the same as any other fixed term contact you would sign anywhere else. The room will be yours (and you will pay for it) between the dates shown on it. This means that you will be able to use it for storage between these dates even if you not sleeping in it. Many students use their rooms during the holiday periods and not everyone goes home. There is quite a community living on campus 365 days a year.

This will normally be about 38 weeks but for certain courses are longer.

Also we charge on a nightly rate so a 38 week licence will not be exactly 38 weeks (or 38 x the weekly rate) it may be a few days more or less either side.

Hope this helps. I know some unis do things a little differently (like asking some students to move out at Easter so they can use the rooms for conferences) but we don't think that is fair to people that need to live here so we don't!
Reply 72
ok, so my firm choice is going to be the university of east anglia but i was wondering just how diverse it is? im black, and i have lived in london nearly all my life so im used to a wide range of cultures, and all sorts of different people, is this any way similar to the university of east anglia? not too bothered about it, just wondering really :smile:
& also im quite a big clubber, are there many clubs that offer a wide range of genres there?
any comments will be very useful!
Original post by CallMeLo
ok, so my firm choice is going to be the university of east anglia but i was wondering just how diverse it is? im black, and i have lived in london nearly all my life so im used to a wide range of cultures, and all sorts of different people, is this any way similar to the university of east anglia? not too bothered about it, just wondering really :smile:
& also im quite a big clubber, are there many clubs that offer a wide range of genres there?
any comments will be very useful!

To be frank its not particularly diverse especially when compared with London. The majority of students I saw when I went to the open day wer white British, with a fairly sizeable minority of internationals, mostly Chinese from what I saw when I was there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Well being situated in an area where the surrounding populations are predominatly white, its not really suprising.
Reply 76
The university is pretty diverse - much more so than Norwich generally. In fact some days it's like the United Nations.
Reply 77
Found this through Google...

UEA is a campus-based institution with just over 12,000 full-time and 2000 part-time students, spread across 4 Faculties. There are approximately 1800 International and 400 EU students, many concentrated in three Schools in the Social Sciences Faculty. Over 3500 of our students live on campus, approximately 35 percent of whom are International students. Over 100 different countries are represented at UEA, but 68 percent are from ten countries: China, United States, Nigeria, India, Egypt, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and Russia. In the 2001 census, only 3.2 percent of the population of Norwich declared as being non-white, which, we believe, is relevant to the experiences of some of our International students.
Reply 78
ahhh, now i dont know if i should still put it as my first choice :/ yeah i know its all about the studies and stuff but i would feel really weird if it was predominately caucasian. hmm acc might as well still apply, i have to get to used to the fact that not everywhere may be as culture rich as london, right?

thanks for the help btw :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by CallMeLo
i would feel really weird if it was predominately caucasian

In that case you are rather limiting your options.

The only universities in the UK that are not predominantly Caucasian are:

The School of Pharmacy (75% ethnic minority)
Brunel (57%)
Queen Mary (56%)
University of East London (54%)
Middlesex (54%)
Aston (53%)

http://www.bitc.org.uk/workplace/diversity_and_inclusion/race/hesa_report.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending