The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jin3011
If you don't mind me asking, are you going to reapply this year or next. I'm just not sure whether it's worth me applying this year.

I'm going to give it a go this year, just to give it a go and there maybe being the tiniest of tiny chance that I get in. And if it doesn't work out (which my gut feeling is suggesting will happen) I will reapply for 2013 entry. If you don't mind me asking, why do you not think it's worth it?

Original post by Besakt
Same. I'm so stressed out, so much work and it's only been a week of school for me. I've got my brother constantly talking about how he is going to start his dentistry course this year and how amazing it will be, makes me feel like a failure. :frown:

I've learnt from last year that stressing isn't going to help unless you chanel it into something active. Keep Calm and Carry On :smile: I've been repeating that to myself and am going to put up a poster of it in my room haha :biggrin:
Reply 221
Original post by Ally312
I'm going to give it a go this year, just to give it a go and there maybe being the tiniest of tiny chance that I get in. And if it doesn't work out (which my gut feeling is suggesting will happen) I will reapply for 2013 entry. If you don't mind me asking, why do you not think it's worth it?

I've learnt from last year that stressing isn't going to help unless you chanel it into something active. Keep Calm and Carry On :smile: I've been repeating that to myself and am going to put up a poster of it in my room haha :biggrin:

I wasn't really aware that all these foundation courses were available till recently so I guess it'd be a bit too late to take my med application seriously now. I was also set back a bit when only getting AAB. So I need to sit one maths exam to get that B to an A, but even then many med schools don't really consider resit candidates who don't have extenuating circumstances.
Reply 222
Original post by Ally312

All I learnt from last year is revise until you memorise it and can recite it in your sleep.
Reply 223
Original post by Jin3011
I wasn't really aware that all these foundation courses were available till recently so I guess it'd be a bit too late to take my med application seriously now. I was also set back a bit when only getting AAB. So I need to sit one maths exam to get that B to an A, but even then many med schools don't really consider resit candidates who don't have extenuating circumstances.

So are you not going to apply at all, I think it's worth a shot with those grades.
Original post by Jin3011

AAB is really good! Did you see my grades?! And are you Y13, because if you are, you still have a good chance as anyone else if you do well in your resits this year. Most med schools do allow module retakes, so it's no biggie as that B can easily be pulled up to an A.
Original post by Besakt
All I learnt from last year is revise until you memorise it and can recite it in your sleep.

I tried that, and with me I could recite the textbook off the top off my head but I couldn't actually understand it, so it meant that when a detailed question came up, I couldn't do it. One of my friends has a brilliant memory and she knew everything and she somehow got an E in AS. I felt so bad for her.
This year I think it's practise, practise, practise. I know I can do it, but I've got to work my socks off. :smile: You'll be fine this year!! :biggrin:
Reply 226
Original post by Ally312
I tried that, and with me I could recite the textbook off the top off my head but I couldn't actually understand it, so it meant that when a detailed question came up, I couldn't do it. One of my friends has a brilliant memory and she knew everything and she somehow got an E in AS. I felt so bad for her.
This year I think it's practise, practise, practise. I know I can do it, but I've got to work my socks off. :smile: You'll be fine this year!! :biggrin:

One of my favourite quotes. "The lower you fall, the higher you'll fly.". :cool:
Original post by Besakt
One of my favourite quotes. "The lower you fall, the higher you'll fly.". :cool:

Aww :smile: I like that too
Is there anyone here who applied, and got an interview or onto, the medicine BM6 course at Southampton? Or the A104 course at UEA? Can I ask what your actual AS grades were and A2 predictions were if you did?
Reply 229
Original post by Besakt
So are you not going to apply at all, I think it's worth a shot with those grades.

I was just wandering whether I'm eligible to apply for the BM6 course this. But even so, I've left all the applicant stuff fairly late. I've not even redrafted my personal statement or done any UKCAT prep. I still booked the UKCAT in May for Oct 1st through bursary, but I'm not even sure what to do really:frown:.
This your second time applying? What were your A-Level grades?
Reply 230
Original post by Jin3011
I was just wandering whether I'm eligible to apply for the BM6 course this. But even so, I've left all the applicant stuff fairly late. I've not even redrafted my personal statement or done any UKCAT prep. I still booked the UKCAT in May for Oct 1st through bursary, but I'm not even sure what to do really:frown:.

First time I've just got my AS-Levels BBBc but predicted AAA and resitting my c to get it to a B.
Reply 231
Original post by Besakt
First time I've just got my AS-Levels BBBc but predicted AAA and resitting my c to get it to a B.

Oh that's good, just make sure you work really hard this year to get AAA because if all goes to worst, you've at least got your grades to fall back on. Are you applying for any 5yr courses?
Reply 232
Original post by Jin3011
Oh that's good, just make sure you work really hard this year to get AAA because if all goes to worst, you've at least got your grades to fall back on. Are you applying for any 5yr courses?

I'm applying to 3, 6 year courses and 2 bio med course which give the option to transfer after the first year.
Reply 233
Original post by Besakt
I'm applying to 3, 6 year courses and 2 bio med course which give the option to transfer after the first year.

I got an offer for a foundation course last year with an option to transfer to medicine after the 1st year but decided against it based on the fact that I would be spending 4 years on a course that I don't want to do if I failed to transfer to medicine.
Hello to all the new faces! I am Beth and I've just completed the BM6 year and am about to start my first year of BM5! Welcome to the group.

Original post by Jin3011

Southampton will accept one year of resits (1 subject for BM5, one year for BM6 afaik, but this may be a little muddled). The UKCAT is needed to apply to BM6 but not considered so you don't need to practice for that. Just get together a kick ass personal statement. You've got nothing to lose.

There is loads of PS help available here and in the TSR personal statement help. Gogogo! :biggrin:

Original post by Jin3011
Am I eligible to apply for BM6 course?
I have AABa at A- level and fulfill the criteria:
* First generation applicant to higher education
* In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant (not anymore since not in college)
* Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Is the course only to widen access to people with non-scientific qualifications?
Thanks.

Yes you are eligible to apply for BM6 as long as you're doing Biology (or Bio & Chem at AS I think, but double check).

It's to enable those with the potential to succeed in medicine to do so when more traditional courses favour things they can't offer, or for people who may struggle either timewise or financially to go straight into full time study (so gap year, have young children etc).

Whereas a lot of access courses require you to have done non-science courses, this one requires Biology. It's simply a step into BM5 at Soton (as you just join that class after a year).

Original post by Ally312
Southampton BM6 is where I'm definately applying to :smile: . I was going to anyway but I'm really counting on it now after the disaster that is my AS levels and Sixth Form. I'm also thinking about UEA A104, Nottingham A104, and the A2L for Medicine, though I think I will get automatic rejections for Nottingham and Leeds :frown: .
Anyone else planning on applying to UEA A104 too? And does anyone know the ratios of applicants per place? For Nottingham I know there are only 10 places available, so there's going to be a lot competition for them.

Applicants per place for BM6 @ Soton is 19:1 so it's quite high compared to others but it's doable :smile:

Roughly 200 interviews, 45 offers and 30 places.

Any questions please do ask! I'm usually around. Happy to respond to PM's too :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by BethaneyJ
Hello to all the new faces! I am Beth and I've just completed the BM6 year and am about to start my first year of BM5! Welcome to the group.

Southampton will accept one year of resits (1 subject for BM5, one year for BM6 afaik, but this may be a little muddled). The UKCAT is needed to apply to BM6 but not considered so you don't need to practice for that. Just get together a kick ass personal statement. You've got nothing to lose.

There is loads of PS help available here and in the TSR personal statement help. Gogogo! :biggrin:

Yes you are eligible to apply for BM6 as long as you're doing Biology (or Bio & Chem at AS I think, but double check).

It's to enable those with the potential to succeed in medicine to do so when more traditional courses favour things they can't offer, or for people who may struggle either timewise or financially to go straight into full time study (so gap year, have young children etc).

Whereas a lot of access courses require you to have done non-science courses, this one requires Biology. It's simply a step into BM5 at Soton (as you just join that class after a year).

Applicants per place for BM6 @ Soton is 19:1 so it's quite high compared to others but it's doable :smile:

Roughly 200 interviews, 45 offers and 30 places.

Any questions please do ask! I'm usually around. Happy to respond to PM's too :smile:

How many applicants roughly? What sort of grades and work experience/voluntering and extra curricular did you have?
Original post by Ally312
Is there anyone here who applied, and got an interview or onto, the medicine BM6 course at Southampton? Or the A104 course at UEA? Can I ask what your actual AS grades were and A2 predictions were if you did?

I got an interview for both, and an offer for bm6 for this year. Did miss my offer so reapplying but got ABBC for AS before retakes, and was predicted ABB :smile:
Original post by Besakt
How many applicants roughly? What sort of grades and work experience/voluntering and extra curricular did you have?

As I said above there were 19 applicants per place last year, and there are 30 places. The applicants have been going up so you can expect around 600 applicants.

Southampton only look at predicted and final, but I had been predicted AAA. I had tonnes of work experience and volunteering but almost no extracurricular. However it is all about what you learn from those experiences rather than what/where and how much. I talked a lot more about volunteering at a blind society than I did about watching open heart surgery.

Original post by Ally312

I had an interview and an offer and have just finished the year. My AS grades I think are AABB, but Southampton don't look at AS or module grades, only predicted and final. I was predicted AAA (Bio, Chem, Law) and the offer was CCC (though this is now BCC).

They also don't use the UKCAT for BM6 though you need to take it.

Do have a flick back through the group if you have time. Lots of questions you may not have thought of yet have been answered and might be helpful :smile:
Reply 238
Also, I just thought I would add that most people applying will have good reasons for applying to the BM6 over the other courses. Simply saying you don't quite have the grades to get into the others is not a good enough reason. Admissions are really good at filtering out these people.

Also if your grades are say ABB or above and you apply against someone with BCC, it doesn't mean you have got a better chance of being accepted. As long as you meet the requirements you will be considered along with the rest of your application so those with lower grades do not stress.

Hello to all newbies on the post and good luck to all applying :smile:
Original post by kickasskaz01
For your AS what was it for chemistry and biology and what were your predicted grades, did it include an A in chemistry? And what did you get for ukcat? Thanks for your help :biggrin:

My AS results were
Biology - B
Physics - C
Chemistry - D

I was only predicted BBB but still got the A2L offer. My UKCAT was 570.

Quick Reply