The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Original post by crazy1234
Don't worry, I didn't put YE, neither did I put going to LSE lectures in so...
But still I reckon quality over quantity.

Definitely :smile:

Original post by StarChamber
Don't think so. I did the same. Leave anything like that perhaps to the reference.

That's reassuring :smile:
Reply 2621
My PS is 73.33% joke its roughly 75% academic based. LSE want academics, they said this on the inet and to me on the phone, they pretty much dont give a **** whether you are a nerd . Skills pay the bills! But this doesnt leave alot of space for ec.

Warwick on the otherhand like ec, so what should I do cus i have done only one paragraph on EC.
Im looking at Economics or maybe Accounting and Finance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alpha5

Warwick on the otherhand like ec, so what should I do cus i have done only one paragraph on EC.

You say "only one paragraph", you definitely don't want more than one paragraph on extra-curriculars, unless they're relevant to the course. And if they're not relevant then it should be a short paragraph :yep:
Original post by Alpha5
My PS is 73.33% joke its roughly 75% academic based. LSE want academics, they said this on the inet and to me on the phone, they pretty much dont give a **** whether you are a nerd . Skills pay the bills! But this doesnt leave alot of space for ec.

Yeah mine are about the same , I think my ECs are only 21% of my PS and the majority of them are more academic ECs like Model UN - which has some relevance to Economics (Economic & Social Committee).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2624
Original post by Alpha5

75:25 sounds like a fair balance to me. Other universities appreciate you aren't just applying to them and they know different universities are looking for different things, I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 2625
Original post by 94george94
Yeah mine are about the same , I think my ECs are only 21% of my PS and the majority of them are more academic ECs like Model UN.

Same :yes:
Original post by Tateco
Same :yes:

By majority I mean all of them. :colondollar:

What have you included?
Original post by Tateco
There is place on the Cambridge SAQ, and for UCL you can put it in the 'Other' box for the modules, so you put it as say grade A and then in the other box write (52/60) or whatever the score was :smile:

Is that what you assume or have been told to do for UCL by teachers/ UCL admissions tutors?
Sorry I don't want to seem rude as I know that sounds but I just want to confirm :redface:
Reply 2628
By majority I mean all of them. :colondollar:

What have you included?

Same :tongue: Target 2.0, Young Economist of the Year, you?

Original post by Psychotic546
Is that what you assume or have been told to do for UCL by teachers/ UCL admissions tutors?
Sorry I don't want to seem rude as I know that sounds but I just want to confirm :redface:

I think Groat spoke to an admissions tutor from UCL and that's what they said, not 100% sure though! I'd like it confirmed too, it might seem a bit pretentious putting it in otherwise :colondollar:
Reply 2629
Original post by Tateco
75:25 sounds like a fair balance to me. Other universities appreciate you aren't just applying to them and they know different universities are looking for different things, I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

HI,
but a friend who done Economics at Warwick like 5 year ago, read my PS said it does show intiative and passion for your subject and is well written, but wanted me develop my ec side.

So im kinda stuck. How many lines would you say i should do on EC, ive currently done about 8. But have more stuff to talk about.
Reply 2630
Original post by Alpha5
HI,
but a friend who done Economics at Warwick like 5 year ago, read my PS said it does show intiative and passion for your subject and is well written, but wanted me develop my ec side.

So im kinda stuck. How many lines would you say i should do on EC, ive currently done about 8. But have more stuff to talk about.

Ask one of the PS helpers, but from what I have heard 1/4 is more than enough for economics.
Original post by Alpha5
HI,

Original post by Tateco
Ask one of the PS helpers, but from what I have heard 1/4 is more than enough for economics.

It's very hard to say. People do it differently all the time. I'd say no more than 20-25% extra curriculars. If they are linked to Economics, that would be good.
Original post by Tateco

I think Groat spoke to an admissions tutor from UCL and that's what they said, not 100% sure though! I'd like it confirmed too, it might seem a bit pretentious putting it in otherwise :colondollar:

Very true. Although even if they want it, it'll look a bit pretentious to your other choices won't it? I'm going to email the admissions tutor just to find out.
Original post by Tateco
Same :tongue: Target 2.0, Young Economist of the Year, you?

Similar to you. Just looked up the 'Young Economist of the Year' looks fantastic, wish I had found out about that earlier, how did you enter? Also did you win anything? :biggrin:
Reply 2634
Similar to you. Just looked up the 'Young Economist of the Year' looks fantastic, wish I had found out about that earlier, how did you enter? Also did you win anything? :biggrin:

Just sent off my entry :smile: And I didn't hear back so I assume not, but that's not the point! :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Just sent off my entry :smile: And I didn't hear back so I assume not, but that's not the point! :tongue:

May I have the link please? :puppyeyes:

EDIT: It doesn't start 'til Spring GRRRR :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2636
May I have the link please? :puppyeyes:

EDIT: It doesn't start 'til Spring GRRRR :angry:

:sadnod:

Original post by NelsonlikesEconomics
So how did you word it to actually sound like an achievement?

I mean, sending a one word document would technically count as an entry.

Because I didn't just say "I entered it" I talked about what I wrote and linked it to what got me interested etc.
Reply 2637
Fair enough I guess, the universities will know you didn't win anything though.

So it would be better to talk about one of the irrelevant things I have 'won' than a relevant essay I wrote? :rolleyes:
Reply 2638
Your choice.

The winners of the competition are going to be applying to the same universities as you are, the admissions officer will read your PS and their PS, they won and you didn't.

I would've found something else to talk about personally.

Sure, but if you look at the previous winners of the competition and read their essays the actual essays more like stories or pieces of creative writing than academic pieces of work. I used the competition as an opportunity to focus on something that would further my understanding in that particular area and while I may not have had the most exciting, interesting or creative essay I got a good response from teachers for it and it was academically accurate. Thanks for the tip though.
Who cares.

They're the 'Young Economist of the Year', you're just some random kid who entered like along with a 1000 others.

But the question is...

IS IT WORTH GETTING BULLIED FOR?

Latest

Trending

Trending