The Student Room Group

Skype Language Learning Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Xurvi
Yeah, keeping the old list for reference sounds like a good idea.

There is hardly any discussion at the moment but I suppose you could try and promulgate it, and maybe ask new people to PM you to get added instead of posting here.
Like asking people to write about their own skype experience, maybe try to schedule a skype session with more than only 2 people, this kind of stuff - though to be fair I'm not sure if there would be a lot of people who would do that, and maybe the constant posting of new people bumping the thread helps it being visible (even though it's stickied)
- or make a society with two associated threads, this one for the list and applications, and another for the discussions and scheduling of sessions?

edit : a couple things regarding the list:
- one member for Mandarin was listed outside the spoiler for Chinese
- Portuguese isn't spelled Portugeuse :p:
- I think a list for English would be nice to have as well since I believe some members native of non-English speaking countries wanted to practise their English too

That sounds like a good plan! :biggrin: I'll probably do something similar.
And arghh! I swear I keep changing Portuguese but then it ends up the wrong spelling again lmao!
Reply 221
Original post by emzaz
That sounds like a good plan! :biggrin: I'll probably do something similar.
And arghh! I swear I keep changing Portuguese but then it ends up the wrong spelling again lmao!

And while I'm at it, in Other Languages, there's a member who's a beginner but the language they're a beginner in isn't said :p:
Reply 222
I'd definitely be up for it :smile:

French - A2
Spanish - Somewhere between A2/1
Russian - A1

All of these for GCSE :smile:
Does anyone want to skype me, practising Spanish?!
Reply 224
I can help anyone if they want to improve their Tamil.
Reply 225
Original post by emzaz
Firstly, major apoligies for being so late in updating! I've been away on holiday but I'm back now so yay.
I'm quoting you so you know you're in the process of being added and I'll put a message below you once I've finished. This also helps me 'cause I can copy and paste stuff and keep track of who I've done.

EDIT: Deleted the quotes - looked silly and I've added everyone now anyway.

Oh dear - I don't fancy PMing every singly person too much!! I think I might reset the list but keep the original one too (but spoilered so it's hidden nicely away) so that I can move people across/rectify problems easily. Will keep people one who have been added from July onwards as I'll assume they're the same level and are continuing. Also, I might tell people who are new how to do the code so all I have to do is copy and paste it :P
What do you reckon? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

can I have the list for English?
Reply 226
Anyone to Skype to help practice my/their French?
Reply 227
Original post by luke
I'd definitely be up for it :smile:

French - A2
Spanish - Somewhere between A2/1
Russian - A1

All of these for GCSE :smile:

Hi, do you mean you only want to help people with that at gcse level? :smile:

Original post by rabbit99
can I have the list for English?

Hi, I've just added a section but I haven't put anyone in it. Do you want to be added as a learner or a helper and if you're a helper are you fluent etc. Thanks :biggrin:

I'm in the process of vaguely trying to make a society thingy - just to see how it goes so that people can organise skype calls or something and it could possibly end up as a standalone thing without the sticky/list 'cause I dunno how useful the list is... does anyone have any feedback about that? For instance, does anyone actually use the list to find people to skype? Feedback would be useful ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by emzaz
Hi, do you mean you only want to help people with that at gcse level? :smile:

Hi, I've just added a section but I haven't put anyone in it. Do you want to be added as a learner or a helper and if you're a helper are you fluent etc. Thanks :biggrin:

I'm in the process of vaguely trying to make a society thingy - just to see how it goes so that people can organise skype calls or something and it could possibly end up as a standalone thing without the sticky/list 'cause I dunno how useful the list is... does anyone have any feedback about that? For instance, does anyone actually use the list to find people to skype? Feedback would be useful ^_^

I'm a learner.
Reply 229
Original post by rabbit99
I'm a learner.

Okay, thank you :smile:

Original post by Axtrate
Anyone to Skype to help practice my/their French?

Hello, I recently made a group with a thread for just this reason so I'm slightly hijacking your post :wink:
Thread link is here

EVERYONE READ THIS PLEASE :biggrin:
NEW - We have a group(!) which can be found here and has an associated thread thing which can be used for finding people to skype or something - we'll see how it turns out. Please join the group and use the thread if you're already on the list! That would be useful!
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, so I speak English fluently, I speak Greek (Modern) at home so I'm next to fluent, and I've just done my A level French and I scored 67/70 for the speaking so although I wouldn't say that I was fluent, I'd say that I'm as close as an A level French student can feasibly get. I also did German at GCSE but I would be lying if I didn't admit to having forgotten the vast majority of it...

French is primarily what I'm looking to practice, but I'm happy to help with the other languages mentioned above if I can be of any use to anyone :smile:
Reply 231
Original post by emzaz
NEW - We have a group(!) which can be found here and has an associated thread thing which can be used for finding people to skype or something - we'll see how it turns out. Please join the group and use the thread if you're already on the list! That would be useful! This thread is also linked to the group. If you ask to be added to this list then please join the group too :smile:

I'm currently looking for deputies - I don't know what they do but if you're a regular TSR user and you know what a deputy does within a group on TSR and want to be one then please get in touch :biggrin:

A deputy isn't much different from a normal member. They merely can disassociate threads from the group and take over the group when the leader is absent for a long time.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=social_groups#faq_leaders_and_deputies
Reply 232
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Okay, so I speak English fluently, I speak Greek (Modern) at home so I'm next to fluent, and I've just done my A level French and I scored 67/70 for the speaking so although I wouldn't say that I was fluent, I'd say that I'm as close as an A level French student can feasibly get. I also did German at GCSE but I would be lying if I didn't admit to having forgotten the vast majority of it...

French is primarily what I'm looking to practice, but I'm happy to help with the other languages mentioned above if I can be of any use to anyone :smile:

Cool, I'll put you on the list ^_^
P.s. Well done on the A level french speaking!

Original post by Xurvi
A deputy isn't much different from a normal member. They merely can disassociate threads from the group and take over the group when the leader is absent for a long time.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=social_groups#faq_leaders_and_deputies

Ohhh, that makes sense :smile: Thanks once again!
Original post by emzaz
Cool, I'll put you on the list ^_^
P.s. Well done on the A level french speaking!

Thank you x2 ^_^ How do things work from now though sorry? Is it all within the group thingy?
Reply 234
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Thank you x2 ^_^ How do things work from now though sorry? Is it all within the group thingy?

I'd been thinking that people should continue this thread to sign up so it can be used to look up people to PM by language and then the other thread can be used for asking generally e.g. "Does anyone want to go on skype to speak in german on thursday" rather than PMing every person from the german list.
That's the plan anyways hahah! Maybe it's too complex? >_<
(edited 12 years ago)
German A-Level
-need to seriously improve from my AS grade!! :s-smilie: x
Reply 236
Original post by bclarkeyy28
German A-Level
-need to seriously improve from my AS grade!! :s-smilie: x

Added :smile:
I just noticed the level thing at the top of the thread. I'm not sure if I've given you my Eurpoean Framework level correctly if that was what you were asking for. By A2 I meant that I've just done my second year of A levels, so B2 according to the categorization. Just making sure that there hasn't been any mix up, I only just read the beginning of the thread properly sorry... :smile:
Reply 238
Anyone feel like chatting in French/German/Mandarin with me? All AS/A2 (although my Mandarin is abysmal!)
So, I offer science barter. I may teach you some Russian phrases, you may need travelling on your own somewhere at former USSR territories. In return I would like to make with you small educational videos, which will promote my blog, where I'll open your countrymen eyes on some interesting aspects of tourism at Russia, on the example of Moscow and my town. I mean I plan to write - how much does a tourist spend as average, and how much does the tour-operator earns, and how much does it cost in reality. :tongue: My goal is to prove that one Ph.D lawyer (as I plan to become in nearby future) alone can provide all the work of the whole tour-operator firm, so there will be no need to finance all their stuff.
Certainly people who will take part in this educational experiment will get interesting opportunities for the next summer. I'll describe what do I mean during Skype connections. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending