The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyam
Manual labour for years and years.

I shouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure they'll be pretty accommodating and helpful when you get there.

Lol. As an English student I probably should have phrased my post better :tongue:. I just don't want to arrive there and be told I can't enroll or something...
Reply 2981
Original post by confusedllama
Lol. As an English student I probably should have phrased my post better :tongue:. I just don't want to arrive there and be told I can't enroll or something...

Nah, I don't think they expect the money instantly anyway. At Christ's we're told to pay no later than 14 days after going up, so that's quite a bit of time to sort out student loans or whatever. I'd be surprised if you weren't given a similar amount of time to make arrangements and pay. :smile:

Still, if your worries don't desist, e-mail them. :smile:
Original post by Lyam
Is it cool if I just don't wear a tie to matriculation? Not my style, bro.

Edit: I wasn't really asking for permission, despite how it sounded. I was asking for whether you think it'd be permissible. :P

Not really. Matriculation is the moment when you sign the big shiny (very old!) book which formally makes you a member of your college. Until you die (:lolwut:). Needless to say, it's taken pretty seriously and at best you'd look very out of place without a tie - at worst, you'd look disorganised (forgot to pack one) or disrespectful for not adhering to the dress code. :dontknow: Sorry. But the very formal occasions are few and far between, so it's not that bad really. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half from start to finish anyway (including the photo), so it's not like being back at school. :wink:
Reply 2983
Original post by confusedllama
Does anyone know how you (physically) pay your tuition fees + college fees if you didn't get a loan? - can't find anything about it on the website.
And also, how long do skirts have to be for matric?

At Christ's, you pay either with Cash, Cheque or by online bank transfer.
I'm guessing it's the same at most other colleges :smile:
As for the skirt length, depends from college to college methinks, but to be safe I would say knee length.

Original post by Cast.Iron
We. Are. Screwed.

Amen.

CRAP. CRAP. CRAP.
19 days until I leave for Cambridge... 19 days IS NOT ENOUGH TO BUY EVERYTHING D:
Reply 2984
Original post by Tortious
Not really. Matriculation is the moment when you sign the big shiny (very old!) book which formally makes you a member of your college. Until you die (:lolwut:). Needless to say, it's taken pretty seriously and at best you'd look very out of place without a tie - at worst, you'd look disorganised (forgot to pack one) or disrespectful for not adhering to the dress code. :dontknow: Sorry. But the very formal occasions are few and far between, so it's not that bad really. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half from start to finish anyway (including the photo), so it's not like being back at school. :wink:

I had planned to dress formally, don't worry, I was just going to skip the tie. I guess I'mm buy one then. What kind of tie are we talking? Just a normal black tie, I presume? :smile:
Original post by Lyam
I had planned to dress formally, don't worry, I was just going to skip the tie. I guess I'mm buy one then. What kind of tie are we talking? Just a normal black tie, I presume? :smile:

Any colour's fine :smile:

(You get extra points if you wear the wrong colour shirt and end up in the middle of the photo. When you get to Christ's, go into the bar and have a look at the 2009 Matric photo. Guy bang in the middle is wearing a bright blue shirt, throws off the "black and white" thing entirely :biggrin:)
Original post by Lyam

Nope, you're quite welcome to opt for patterns or colours - just keep it tasteful! Something like this would be fine, but steer clear of stripes (could look too much like a school tie/college drinking society) or skinny ties which might look too informal. You should dress like you would for a job interview. :smile:

(Some people wear ties with the college crest, but don't feel you have to - if anything there's a chance you might look like a porter! :p:)
Original post by gethsemane342
Any colour's fine :smile:

(You get extra points if you wear the wrong colour shirt and end up in the middle of the photo. When you get to Christ's, go into the bar and have a look at the 2009 Matric photo. Guy bang in the middle is wearing a bright blue shirt, throws off the "black and white" thing entirely :biggrin:)

Ooh, since you're here, do you think a navy suit is OK for matriculation? TimmonaPortella was asking and I thought he'd probably get away with it since he'll have his gown over the top.

(I saw you in H&R the other day in the molestation thread. I didn't know you lurk there... :lurk:)
Ooh, since you're here, do you think a navy suit is OK for matriculation? TimmonaPortella was asking and I thought he'd probably get away with it since he'll have his gown over the top.

(I saw you in H&R the other day in the molestation thread. I didn't know you lurk there... :lurk:)

I thought you meant "here" as in Cambridge and I was just thinking "er ... no I'm not" :tongue:

Navy suit is probably fine. I mean, no one's going to look closely enough at the photo to notice the difference between black and navy.

(Ha ha, I don't! It came up on "latest discussions". If I'm bored and see an odd or interesting topic title, I click on it, regardless of forum. As a result, I also pop up occasionally in motoring, entertainment, politics, current affairs and gaming :wink:)
Original post by gethsemane342
(Ha ha, I don't! It came up on "latest discussions". If I'm bored and see an odd or interesting topic title, I click on it, regardless of forum. As a result, I also pop up occasionally in motoring, entertainment, politics, current affairs and gaming :wink:)

I know who's trying out for the Christ's University Challenge team this year then. :p: Apparently Pembroke's on TV at the end of September... :gah:

...it's only the third time we've made it onto TV since Paxman started hosting it. :indiff:
I know who's trying out for the Christ's University Challenge team this year then. :p: Apparently Pembroke's on TV at the end of September... :gah:

...it's only the third time we've made it onto TV since Paxman started hosting it. :indiff:

No chance! I don't know any of the answers. The only episode I've seen, I knew 2 answers. One was the picture of the Man on the Moon and the other was the translation of a word found on wikipedia (most people got it from "rechercher". Me being the weirdo I am, I didn't understand the french, despite doing the GCSE in it, but I knew the Romanian "cautere"...)
Reply 2991
Tortious
Needless to say, it's taken pretty seriously and at best you'd look very out of place without a tie

Is a bow tie alright?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Give
Is a bow tie alright?

No, I don't think that'd be seen as appropriate for this. The dress code is very much businesswear - just stick to a plain suit and a necktie and you'll be fine. :top:
Original post by Lyam
Enjoy my random pos. :P

Why thank you, kind sir. :hat:
Reply 2994
No, I don't think that'd be seen as appropriate for this. The dress code is very much businesswear - just stick to a plain suit and a necktie and you'll be fine. :top:

Thanks.
Reply 2995
Nope, you're quite welcome to opt for patterns or colours - just keep it tasteful! Something like this would be fine, but steer clear of stripes (could look too much like a school tie/college drinking society) or skinny ties which might look too informal. You should dress like you would for a job interview. :smile:

(Some people wear ties with the college crest, but don't feel you have to - if anything there's a chance you might look like a porter! :p:)

http://www.tie-rack.co.uk/men_s/ties1/t0115200147fusbu00

Just ordered this. Thanks for letting me know that patterns are okay. :smile:
Original post by Lyam
http://www.tie-rack.co.uk/men_s/ties1/t0115200147fusbu00

Just ordered this. Thanks for letting me know that patterns are okay. :smile:

No worries. I'd be inclined to take a few different ties - that way you'll have a choice. :h:

That was me :mad:!

:colondollar:
Reply 2998
Anyone else done prep work? Or am I being extra keen? :moon:
Original post by l4ith
Anyone else done prep work? Or am I being extra keen? :moon:

Yep, I have done mine :wink: (the preparatory problems for engineers includes 30 pure maths questions, 15 mechanics questions and 12 electricity questions!)

Quick Reply