The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mushi_master
There was one girl who never showed up for enrollment, but somehow remained on the list for our GP visits, tutorials, IPE etc etc, they never got the message.

Another girl I know, spoke to her a little during revision time this Easter, never saw her at exams and there is no trace of her on facebook. Very strange.

Original post by Medicine Man
Very similar thing here last year. We had a girl who was meant to be in my pbl group, EPC group (GP shiznit) and MedSoc group (Hospital shiznit), but she never turned up. It was the strangest thing ever. No one had heard of her before from our year. She wasn't in the year above us because another girl I was with in those groups was repeating the year and had never heard of her (I know thats not good enough evidence). I don't think anyone knew who she was. And she never turned up for anything. Freaky... :iiam:

We had a ghost student too! He was on all the registers and no one had a clue who he was... it turned out he hadn't managed to get a visa in time, so couldn't start the course, but he became legendary :faydreaming:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
We had a ghost student too! He was on all the registers and no one had a clue who he was... it turned out he hadn't managed to get a visa in time, so couldn't start the course, but he became legendary :faydreaming:

We reckon that was what happened to our ghost. Luckily they'd removed her from the lists for second year.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
And then a month later only 10% of it's actually being used :teehee:

See all the essays and stuff is kind of what puts me off doing an intercalated degree. I think I'd be awful at any normal degree :rolleyes:

Tbh, I think the same thing. I can imagine it being so different to the way I work on the normal degree - so much self directed reading which isn't a major thing on the normal MBBS. What's weird for me is that there aren't any (recommended) textbooks I can fall back on if I don't understand something - it's all based on primary research papers/tutorials/pbls on actual pbls - that is the bulk of our course. Errr... :unsure:

Have you started here yet? :teeth:
Oh, and apparently the incoming freshers here at Barts consists of 87% grads on the standard 5 year course! :eek3: Apparently that's because the grads wanted to miss the increased fees from 2012 entry. Now, that's not a turn in the right direction IMO. I would not like to be a school leaver with that many grads in my year. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the grads on our course and tbh, most of my friends here are grads, but it's also nice to start your degree with a vast majority of people who this is also new to, not people who've done it all before. And i thought 60% grads on the 5 year course in the year below me was tough on school leavers! Hmmm. We have like 40% in our year iirc. Soon, the 5 year course will eventually become a prolonged Grad Entry Programme...

Also, sorry for the triple post. It's well dodgy multi quoting on my phone. :s
And I thought UEA was high with ~50%!
Have you started here yet? :teeth:

I arrive a week tomorrow :colone:
Oh, and apparently the incoming freshers here at Barts consists of 87% grads on the standard 5 year course! :eek3: Apparently that's because the grads wanted to miss the increased fees from 2012 entry. Now, that's not a turn in the right direction IMO. I would not like to be a school leaver with that many grads in my year. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the grads on our course and tbh, most of my friends here are grads, but it's also nice to start your degree with a vast majority of people who this is also new to, not people who've done it all before. And i thought 60% grads on the 5 year course in the year below me was tough on school leavers! Hmmm. We have like 40% in our year iirc. Soon, the 5 year course will eventually become a prolonged Grad Entry Programme...

Also, sorry for the triple post. It's well dodgy multi quoting on my phone. :s

That's insane, beyond anything there must have been so many disappointed school leaver applicants this year! I would certainly have felt somewhat intimidated if there were that many on my course. I have no idea about what % my year group is, but it can't be more than 30% (probably less).
Reply 5448
Very similar thing here last year. We had a girl who was meant to be in my pbl group, EPC group (GP shiznit) and MedSoc group (Hospital shiznit), but she never turned up. It was the strangest thing ever. No one had heard of her before from our year. She wasn't in the year above us because another girl I was with in those groups was repeating the year and had never heard of her (I know thats not good enough evidence). I don't think anyone knew who she was. And she never turned up for anything. Freaky... :iiam:

When I was in year 3, there was on the exam lists who had apparently been there for 30 years or so, at least according to the one of the Pharmacology department secretaries (ancient dinossaur-like woman) we talked to, and he was already a mature student when he enrolled. :biggrin:
First of my old friends from school to get married tomorrow, another having his first child in 4 weeks. Suddenly makes me feel all growed up.

Bet this kind of thing will keep happening whilst I'm still at uni.
Original post by Mushi_master
That's insane, beyond anything there must have been so many disappointed school leaver applicants this year! I would certainly have felt somewhat intimidated if there were that many on my course. I have no idea about what % my year group is, but it can't be more than 30% (probably less).

I know!

But I heard something ridiculous like there being 2500 applications for 40 or so GEP places at GKT this year. :zomg:

Excellent :colone:

:ninja:
Excellent :colone:

:ninja:

87% grads? Where did you find this out though? If it's true they might as well pack it in and call it extended GEP.. school leavers shouldn't waste a space on their UCAS if Barts openly favour GEPs like this.
Original post by Stanley90
87% grads? Where did you find this out though? If it's true they might as well pack it in and call it extended GEP.. school leavers shouldn't waste a space on their UCAS if Barts openly favour GEPs like this.

I've heard it from 2 different sources. :ninja: Oh this is so 007! :teeth:

It was mentioned in our RAG meeting and from one of the people I know on the SPC this year. I hope it's not true.
I've heard it from 2 different sources. :ninja: Oh this is so 007! :teeth:

It was mentioned in our RAG meeting and from one of the people I know on the SPC this year. I hope it's not true.

That's outrageous. I'd be so pissed off if I was the 13% from school. I was annoyed that there was 60% grad when I was expecting ~30%. Don't get me wrong, I get on fine with grads but they are older and the vast majority of school leavers will not gel anywhere near as well as people in their early 20s as those in their late teens.

First BL have their pile of **** "UCAS points" to try to atificially put themselves up meaningless league tables and now this. This was not the medical school I applied to and firmed over two others two years ago.

:awesome:

Soon you'll have to suffer me for a year :colone:
Original post by Stanley90

Even ignoring the GEP issue, I heard Barts were now ranking applicants by predicted grades? Seems a wasted choice now unless you can persuade your teachers to predict A*A*A*... :dontknow:
Dooooooom!

How is everybody?
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
And I thought UEA was high with ~50%!

I've just realised my old anatomy demonstrator will be in your year, wonder if you know her...
And since when did you get alerts for bath medical school stuff? Way to ruin the fun, not like we have loads of in jokes around here.

Latest

Trending

Trending