The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone studied the 'Enviornment & Society in East Asia' module and know what it is like to study/how hard it is?

I'm having a little trouble deciding what modules to choose for Japanese Studies!
(edited 12 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 441
My choice for German got rejected and the explanation is confusing! The email said that I need to select 10 more credits immediately and then it said underneath that I can discuss taking German on the 20th during enrollment.... :/ huh? Won't I be over my 120 credits if I choose something else now?
Reply 442
Original post by 07734
My choice for German got rejected and the explanation is confusing! The email said that I need to select 10 more credits immediately and then it said underneath that I can discuss taking German on the 20th during enrollment.... :/ huh? Won't I be over my 120 credits if I choose something else now?

Sounds to me like

German got rejected, so you lost 10 credits you're at 110 credits

You have to pick something else for now to make it 120 credits again

During enrollment you can discuss it and they'll swap what you picked with German

Did you do German before? You might have been auto-rejected because you have a GCSE in German or something. :s-smilie:
Reply 443
Original post by avila
Sounds to me like

German got rejected, so you lost 10 credits you're at 110 credits

You have to pick something else for now to make it 120 credits again

During enrollment you can discuss it and they'll swap what you picked with German

Did you do German before? You might have been auto-rejected because you have a GCSE in German or something. :s-smilie:

I got rejected because I need 10 credits more in specific modules. The other 20 are free but they can't approve them until intro week :'(. The German I asked for was for people with GCSE D and lower or complete beginners, so that shouldn't have been a problem.

Can you make your choices yet?
Reply 444
Original post by 07734
I got rejected because I need 10 credits more in specific modules. The other 20 are free but they can't approve them until intro week :'(. The German I asked for was for people with GCSE D and lower or complete beginners, so that shouldn't have been a problem.

Can you make your choices yet?

Not officially. I e-mailed the Director of Undergraduate Studies that I wanted to take

> * EAS137 Japanese Politics
> * EAS144 Japan's Economy and Management
> * EAS133 Chinese Economic Development
> * EAS135 Contemporary Chinese Politics

and she approved them manually for me. :x

You say you need 10 credits more in specific modules. My crystal ball tells me that the online module selector stuff is basing it on the 2011 policies, but the 2010 policies still apply internally. :s-smilie:

I did mention that the 2011 policies seemed weird in my email, but all the response said about it was "Your module selection is in accordance with you degree regulations" :frown:
Reply 445
Original post by avila
Not officially. I e-mailed the Director of Undergraduate Studies that I wanted to take

> * EAS137 Japanese Politics
> * EAS144 Japan's Economy and Management
> * EAS133 Chinese Economic Development
> * EAS135 Contemporary Chinese Politics

and she approved them manually for me. :x

I did mention that the 2011 policies seemed weird in my email, but all the response said about it was "Your module selection is in accordance with you degree regulations" :frown:

I need to pick either Japanese lit, Economic or East Asian history. All sound boring though :/ I was going to go for Economic but the description put me to sleep. The lecturer seems nice though so I may give it a chance.

Anyone know what East Asian History is like/the tutor is like?
Reply 446
Original post by 07734
I need to pick either Japanese lit, Economic or East Asian history. All sound boring though :/ I was going to go for Economic but the description put me to sleep. The lecturer seems nice though so I may give it a chance.

Anyone know what East Asian History is like/the tutor is like?

Supposedly, Lit isn't avaliable for our year. A lot of people depressed over that :s-smilie:
Reply 447
Original post by Susant
Supposedly, Lit isn't avaliable for our year. A lot of people depressed over that :s-smilie:

Really? Wow, strange. So we have only three choices and we have to pick two. The classes will be much bigger this year.
I haven't been able to choose my modules either, because my college was really slow in sending my certificates and they won't accept the photocopied transcript that I was given by them... argh.

I don't know what the proper list of modules is either, so I have no idea what to pick, and I don't know how to schedule them without seeing a timetable.

awpoekpowa. -_-

edit: weird grammatical error
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 449
Original post by 07734
Really? Wow, strange. So we have only three choices and we have to pick two. The classes will be much bigger this year.

I wouldn't worry about it. You have 4 choices (Politics, History, Economy, and East Asian History) - the same number we had. So I shouldn't imagine the classes will be really any bigger - there will always be lots of people, perhaps 40-80 in a lecture.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 450
Original post by GuineaPrig
I haven't been able to choose my modules either, because my college was really slow in sending my certificates and they won't accept the photocopied transcript that I was given by them... argh.

I don't know what the proper list of modules is either, so I have no idea what to pick, and I don't know how to schedule them without seeing a timetable.

Modules- http://webapps.shef.ac.uk/module-registration/assets/pdf/eas.pdf
Timetable for modules - http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_tt.timetable?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies

You NEED to pick two of these-

EAS137 Japanese Politics 10 aut
EAS138 Japanese History 10 aut
EAS143 East Asian History 20 spr (only one if you pick this one)
EAS144 Japan's Economy and Management 10 spr

You can then choose two other modules from anywhere in the uni but it can't be approved until intro week. Hope that helps. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 451
Original post by 07734

You NEED to pick two of these-

EAS137 Japanese Politics 10 aut
EAS138 Japanese History 10 aut
EAS143 East Asian History 20 spr (only one if you pick this one)
EAS144 Japan's Economy and Management 10 spr

You can then choose two other modules from anywhere in the uni but it can't be approved until intro week. Hope that helps. :biggrin:

You don't have to pick two of these. You have to pick 20 credits out of these. If you pick East Asian History, you won't need to choose any other module from there, as EAH already fills up the 20 credits you need.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 452
Hey everyone. I will be studying Japanese in Sheffield university, and was hoping to meet some people on here before I arrive next sunday. I'm not much of a drinker and am not the type for clubbing and have noticed that a lot of you are similar in this respect.

Has anyone arrived yet? I have a week left and the wait is killing me.
Reply 453
Original post by Ryuzaki21
Hey everyone. I will be studying Japanese in Sheffield university, and was hoping to meet some people on here before I arrive next sunday. I'm not much of a drinker and am not the type for clubbing and have noticed that a lot of you are similar in this respect.

Has anyone arrived yet? I have a week left and the wait is killing me.

Hi, *waves* :biggrin:

I move in next Saturday in Broad Lane Court, how about you? Someone told me that there is a big meet up for the Japanese students in Bar One next Sunday night. I don't drink either but a glass of coke is okay and it's not like it's a club atmosphere (bright lights and loud repetitiveness music kill me -_-) so wanna come along? I know a few others who don't drink and planning to attend to :biggrin:.
Reply 454
I'm moving into Endcliffe village flats and it will be the first time living away. I'm 21 so its about time I get a change of venue.

Id be glad to hang out with you guys. I won't know anyone so the more friends I make the better. Also it doesn't hurt that you guy are interested in Japanese which is an adequate icebreaker.

Let me know about the arrangements of the night out?
Reply 455
I'm moving into Endcliffe village flats and it will be the first time living away. I'm 21 so its about time I get a change of venue.

Id be glad to hang out with you guys. I won't know anyone so the more friends I make the better. Also it doesn't hurt that you guy are interested in Japanese which is an adequate icebreaker.

Let me know about the arrangements of the night out?

Hai! Need to find someone with a facebook account though so *scans around* HELPERS NEEDED! :biggrin: I was planning on visiting the villages on maybe Sunday or Monday so hehe, might pop in and say hi. If memory serves a very nice 2nd year is picking people up from Endcliffe and taking them to the bar around 8pm.

P.s. I'm 21 too *waves*
Reply 456
2 more days for me before I move in. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about forgetting things.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189031671162372

That's the facebook page for the Meet and Greet event :wink:
Reply 457
Original post by Chain
2 more days for me before I move in. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about forgetting things.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189031671162372

That's the facebook page for the Meet and Greet event :wink:

*Bows* thank you of lifesaver. I can't see it as I need to log in my my sister comes home from work soon :P I will use her account then :biggrin:
Reply 458
Original post by 07734
Hai! Need to find someone with a facebook account though so *scans around* HELPERS NEEDED! :biggrin: I was planning on visiting the villages on maybe Sunday or Monday so hehe, might pop in and say hi. If memory serves a very nice 2nd year is picking people up from Endcliffe and taking them to the bar around 8pm.

P.s. I'm 21 too *waves*

Haha, a fellow 21 year old eh? I look forward to meeting you all. btw my name is Callum. Any Death Note fans out there? I'm sure we would get along quite well
Reply 459
Haha, a fellow 21 year old eh? I look forward to meeting you all. btw my name is Callum. Any Death Note fans out there? I'm sure we would get along quite well

I loved the manga. But I have to admit that I've never finished the anime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending