The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Also, hello everyone :smile:
Reply 241
I've been thinking about whether people will be less likely to apply this year, just due to the £9000 tuition fees. Anyone have any thoughts on this? :smile: and the best of luck to everyone applying for BM6!!
Original post by BethaneyJ

I had an interview and an offer and have just finished the year. My AS grades I think are AABB, but Southampton don't look at AS or module grades, only predicted and final. I was predicted AAA (Bio, Chem, Law) and the offer was CCC (though this is now BCC).

They also don't use the UKCAT for BM6 though you need to take it.

Do have a flick back through the group if you have time. Lots of questions you may not have thought of yet have been answered and might be helpful :smile:

So although I have CCDE grades at AS, :frown: (Bio, Chem, English Language and Maths) and school predicts me BBB at least, will I still be "in the running", grade wise?
Reply 243
Original post by Ally312
So although I have CCDE grades at AS, :frown: (Bio, Chem, English Language and Maths) and school predicts me BBB at least, will I still be "in the running", grade wise?

Don't loose hope! Yes, you should be, because your predicted grades meet their minimum requirement. You just need to make sure you get those grades! So that really means working hard because it doesn't get any easier! Good Luck.
Reply 244
Original post by carl_senior
Also, hello everyone :smile:

Welcome back!! :biggrin:
Original post by carl_senior
My AS results were
Biology - B
Physics - C
Chemistry - D

I was only predicted BBB but still got the A2L offer. My UKCAT was 570.

Hi :smile: I'm thinking of applying to medicine via the A2L route. Although you were predicted BBB, did Leeds still give you the ABB offer, or your predicted grades offer? I think I will be predicted BBB too, though I have CCD (bio, chem, english lang), (E maths, but resitting to get a c/b) at AS and 595 average UKCAT score :frown:
Original post by Aiboz
Don't loose hope! Yes, you should be, because your predicted grades meet their minimum requirement. You just need to make sure you get those grades! So that really means working hard because it doesn't get any easier! Good Luck.

Thanks :biggrin: yes I'm putting my head down and pulling my socks up!
Original post by Ally312

Yep. As has been said it is all about meeting the minimum. There are people with BCC and people with AAAA in each class. It really varies, because BM6 is really not just about the grades despite what a lot of people think (grumbles about some arrogant BM5 she met a while back).

Once you meet the minimum you're all treated the same. Otherwise what is the point of asking for lower grades! :smile:

Remember, Soton DO NOT consider AS grades. So if your predicted are okay, then you're in with a definite chance!
Yep. As has been said it is all about meeting the minimum. There are people with BCC and people with AAAA in each class. It really varies, because BM6 is really not just about the grades despite what a lot of people think (grumbles about some arrogant BM5 she met a while back).

Once you meet the minimum you're all treated the same. Otherwise what is the point of asking for lower grades! :smile:

Remember, Soton DO NOT consider AS grades. So if your predicted are okay, then you're in with a definite chance!

Ahh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up :smile: I was just panicking about it all after how bad the last year went. Can I ask what happened with the arrogant BM5? Sorry, you've mentioned it and now I'm just curious :smile:
Original post by Ally312
Ahh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up :smile: I was just panicking about it all after how bad the last year went. Can I ask what happened with the arrogant BM5? Sorry, you've mentioned it and now I'm just curious :smile:

Haha well, I volunteered at the open day, and overheard a lad telling a prospective student and her parents that BM5 was for "special people" meaning idiots. Turned out she was very interested in the course so he looked like an idiot. One or two BM5s are extremely arrogant when it comes to BM6. It's a real minority, but some seem to think that being a doctor is a right you're born with and don't earn. One chap said if my parents couldn't afford to educate me properly I didn't deserve to do medicine. I wondered, if his parents weren't smart enough to teach him manners then perhaps he shouldn't work with people but never mind.

It's a shame, but there are one or two who like to think they're better. Then BM6ers do better in exams than straight BM5s and they quickly learn to hold their tongue.

That said, the rest of the 200ish BM5s are lovely and wonderful people :biggrin:
Haha well, I volunteered at the open day, and overheard a lad telling a prospective student and her parents that BM6 was for "special people" meaning idiots. Turned out she was very interested in the course so he looked like an idiot. One or two BM5s are extremely arrogant when it comes to BM6. It's a real minority, but some seem to think that being a doctor is a right you're born with and don't earn. One chap said if my parents couldn't afford to educate me properly I didn't deserve to do medicine. I wondered, if his parents weren't smart enough to teach him manners then perhaps he shouldn't work with people but never mind.

It's a shame, but there are one or two who like to think they're better. Then BM6ers do better in exams than straight BM5s and they quickly learn to hold their tongue.

That said, the rest of the 200ish BM5s are lovely and wonderful people :biggrin:

God, that's bad. Well he ended up looking like an idiot so ha! to him :smile: It's good to know that BM6s do better than BM5s, and that all the other BM5s are nice at least :biggrin:
Reply 251
Haha well, I volunteered at the open day, and overheard a lad telling a prospective student and her parents that BM5 was for "special people" meaning idiots. Turned out she was very interested in the course so he looked like an idiot. One or two BM5s are extremely arrogant when it comes to BM6. It's a real minority, but some seem to think that being a doctor is a right you're born with and don't earn. One chap said if my parents couldn't afford to educate me properly I didn't deserve to do medicine. I wondered, if his parents weren't smart enough to teach him manners then perhaps he shouldn't work with people but never mind.

My parents don't have any qualifications. How would I prove this?
Original post by Besakt
My parents don't have any qualifications. How would I prove this?

That's not something you have to prove if I recall :smile:

Edit: As in, they'll just believe you
Hi guys. My sister is really interested in doing medicine but she's been put off by the AAA entry requirements but would absolutely love to do medicine.

She finished her A Levels last year and got BBC in Sociology, English and Chemistry. The reason for this is she is hopeless at exams. The pressure gets to her and panics. She has the ability to get an A in Chemistry as she knows and can explain a lot of stuff.

I was wondering whether this course was worth her applying to???

Will she have to take the UKCAT???

Thanks.
Original post by chaz1992
Hi guys. My sister is really interested in doing medicine but she's been put off by the AAA entry requirements but would absolutely love to do medicine.

She finished her A Levels last year and got BBC in Sociology, English and Chemistry. The reason for this is she is hopeless at exams. The pressure gets to her and panics. She has the ability to get an A in Chemistry as she knows and can explain a lot of stuff.

I was wondering whether this course was worth her applying to???

Will she have to take the UKCAT???

Thanks.

Although she has the right grades, Biology is a requirement for the BM6 programme as far as I know. (I think there was talk of accepting those with Bio and Chem at AS level if Biology wasn't taken to A2, might want to ring admissions.)

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

A levels:

A level grades BCC including chemistry and biology (or equivalent qualifications). Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. biology/ sports studies, mathematics/further mathematics) may not be offered in combination at A level. General studies and key skills are not accepted. We will not consider individual unit grades for A and AS levels as part of our selection process.

She would have to do the UKCAT to apply, however they don't really use it (though I think it's becoming something they use to differentiate between students, unlike BM5 where there is a cut off).

There are also non academic requirements of meeting two of the following:

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

If she doesn't want to do Biology, there are other access to medicine courses aimed at non-sciencey A level applicants.

My only concern for her would be that medicine and med school is riddled with exams, however with the support offered at uni I'm sure she'd be supported through her exam worries!

Hope this helps!
Reply 255
when they send you a form to verify you meet the criteria, do you get your head of year to sign it and send it with evidence i.e Tax Revenue letter and ema letters? What do you do when you get a letter regarding house income?
Original post by mashalli
when they send you a form to verify you meet the criteria, do you get your head of year to sign it and send it with evidence i.e Tax Revenue letter and ema letters? What do you do when you get a letter regarding house income?

It's just one form they send. It will list everything you need to enclose and end back. It's nothing hard, like EMA agreements etc. I didn't have to get it signed or anything like that.
Reply 257
It's just one form they send. It will list everything you need to enclose and end back. It's nothing hard, like EMA agreements etc. I didn't have to get it signed or anything like that.

When and how do you get this form?
Original post by Besakt
When and how do you get this form?

They send it in the post in November/December. Most people will get one.
Although she has the right grades, Biology is a requirement for the BM6 programme as far as I know. (I think there was talk of accepting those with Bio and Chem at AS level if Biology wasn't taken to A2, might want to ring admissions.)

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

A levels:

A level grades BCC including chemistry and biology (or equivalent qualifications). Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. biology/ sports studies, mathematics/further mathematics) may not be offered in combination at A level. General studies and key skills are not accepted. We will not consider individual unit grades for A and AS levels as part of our selection process.

She would have to do the UKCAT to apply, however they don't really use it (though I think it's becoming something they use to differentiate between students, unlike BM5 where there is a cut off).

There are also non academic requirements of meeting two of the following:

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

If she doesn't want to do Biology, there are other access to medicine courses aimed at non-sciencey A level applicants.

My only concern for her would be that medicine and med school is riddled with exams, however with the support offered at uni I'm sure she'd be supported through her exam worries!

Hope this helps!

Ah, thanks. She did Bio at AS and got an E as the college messed up and they had no teacher for about half a year. She's accepted her offer to do chemistry at loughborough so would it be a better option for her to do post grad medicine?

Quick Reply