The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maemg
I cant beleive you were actually allowed into surgery, in northern ireland we cant get in , we watched a video of the surgery , a camera was placed inside the patient were the operation(gall-bladder removal) was taking place it was still pretty good though.

well, err, I am now 18. :frown: I'm reapplying and I wanted more experience and it's a lot easier to get into surgery when you are 18.

Also my daddy works there...
Reply 7021
Haha i was actually watching my dad doing the surgery on the video...
Reply 7022
Original post by sean morris
cool, what unis are you applying to?

not sure yet i have to see how ukcat goes you ?
EVERYONE! MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.

I just phoned newcastle and last years cut off was 2670 (average 667.5) and they said this years cut off will be decided once everybody's applications are in. So in an effort to reduce the cut off, I'd like to ask everybody with a really low UKCAT to apply, so that I can reapply there and hopefully not get rejected straight away! thanks. (That was a joke (to some extent :colone:), I just was trying to make my post about the UKCAT more interesting.) :smile:
Reply 7024
Hey guys,

I said my UKCAT was MEANT to be today... Well I arrived at the pearson vue ''verified test centre'' with a racing pulse and it felt like my heart was pumping in my head.....and then was told that they stopped being a test centre for pearson vue for a while now and that I should go away. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or annoyed?!! :eek:
Well anyways, Pearson vue will contact me soon to reschedule my exam without having to pay again.:smile:

I think I'll go and do a little more work on QR I guess :rolleyes:
okay, so I'm writing my personal statement and now I am getting worried about my predictions. Do I have to apply through a school for UCAS?
Reply 7026
Original post by areyousure?
okay, so I'm writing my personal statement and now I am getting worried about my predictions. Do I have to apply through a school for UCAS?

No you don't. You can apply as an individual.
Original post by Vulpes
No you don't. You can apply as an individual.

So that way I can just get a teacher to write my reference and my predictions right?
Reply 7028
Original post by areyousure?
So that way I can just get a teacher to write my reference and my predictions right?

Not sure about getting a teacher to do so. Try asking this in the UCAS applications forum.
Why can't I find anything about the new method Barts will be using to short list for interview on their website?
Original post by Long Time Coming
Why can't I find anything about the new method Barts will be using to short list for interview on their website?

Not sure, but it has been confirmed by several of us that it will be a case of if you meet the entry requirements and have a UKCAT of +600 average, your UCAS Tariff is worked out, and all applicants are ranked by that. Similar to UKCAT cut offs, it seems BaTL will be using a UCAS Tariff cut off this year.
Hey :smile: How are my chances at getting into Med School?

GCSE: 4A*, 6A, 4B (From a highly under-acheving high school)
AS: Biology A (281/300), Chemistry A (246/300), Maths A (262/300) and the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification
UKCAT: VR:540, QR: 710, AR: 710, DA: 480, Avr: 610 (bad i know =/)

Im thinking of applying to Keele, Lancaster, Liverpool, Sheffield, and Keele again for Biomedical Sciences.

Please Reply :smile:x
Original post by Normandy114
Not sure, but it has been confirmed by several of us that it will be a case of if you meet the entry requirements and have a UKCAT of +600 average, your UCAS Tariff is worked out, and all applicants are ranked by that. Similar to UKCAT cut offs, it seems BaTL will be using a UCAS Tariff cut off this year.

But it's not on their website right? (Just confirming.)
Original post by benrowlands36

AS: Biology A (281/300), Chemistry A (246/300), Maths A (262/300) and the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification

Im thinking of applying to Keele, Lancaster, Liverpool, Sheffield, and Keele again for Biomedical Sciences.

Oh boy, looks like DA screwed you up.

Sheffield ask for 722+ :tongue: but the others should be fine I guess.
Reply 7034

Sheffield was looking for 717.5 for 2011 Entry. However, they are apparently increasing the number of candidates they interview this year so the cutoff may potentially drop. That said, an average of 610 will give you a minimal chance at Sheffield I'm afraid.

Your chances of getting an Interview at Sheffield is very unlikely, last year anyone with a UKCAT score of below 717.5 average was rejected, regardless of the rest of their application. Keele depends completely on how strong your personal statement and references are, and I'm not too sure as to how Lancaster or Liverpool select for interview, I wasn't even aware you could apply to both of them.

But it's not on their website right? (Just confirming.)

Not that I am aware of.
Original post by Vulpes
Sheffield was looking for 717.5 for 2011 Entry. However, they are apparently increasing the number of candidates they interview this year so the cutoff may potentially drop. That said, an average of 610 will give you a minimal chance at Sheffield I'm afraid.

What about the rest?
Oh boy, looks like DA screwed you up.

Sheffield ask for 722+ :tongue: but the others should be fine I guess.

Really? I'm sure Sheffield decide their cutoff after the application deadline?? :confused:

And @ benrowlands36, I'd still agree actually Sheffield probably isnt a good idea but the others look fine :smile:
Reply 7038
What about the rest?

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Really? I'm sure Sheffield decide their cutoff after the application deadline?? :confused:

And @ benrowlands36, I'd still agree actually Sheffield probably isnt a good idea but the others look fine :smile:

UKCAT-wise, the other universities look fine. Sheffield does decide their cutoff after they have received all the applications.
Original post by spoinkytheduck

Yes, but based on last years application it's around 720 (apparently 717.5 precisely and not 722 as I thought :colondollar:).

Latest