The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chaz1992
Ah, thanks. She did Bio at AS and got an E as the college messed up and they had no teacher for about half a year. She's accepted her offer to do chemistry at loughborough so would it be a better option for her to do post grad medicine?

I'd say probably. She'd need to do very well (2:1 or a 1st), and keep up with extracurricular work experience as graduate entry is very competitive but if medicine is what she want's to do then she should go for it. Don't let anyone tell her she can't do it.

If you were to speak to admissions (perhaps phone them) and find out if they'd accept the bio/chem AS (I know they used to). However, there is no guarantee she'd get a place, and it'd mean rejecting the offer and taking a gap year (perhaps to do biology but that might upset things even more).

I'd personally try to go the graduate route, but it's her decision and it's quite a personal one.

Good luck to her and all the best!
Original post by BethaneyJ
I'd say probably. She'd need to do very well (2:1 or a 1st), and keep up with extracurricular work experience as graduate entry is very competitive but if medicine is what she want's to do then she should go for it. Don't let anyone tell her she can't do it.

If you were to speak to admissions (perhaps phone them) and find out if they'd accept the bio/chem AS (I know they used to). However, there is no guarantee she'd get a place, and it'd mean rejecting the offer and taking a gap year (perhaps to do biology but that might upset things even more).

I'd personally try to go the graduate route, but it's her decision and it's quite a personal one.

Good luck to her and all the best!

Thanks. Very helpful. + rep.

Yeh having spoken to her she's decided to not deviate from her plan on doing postgrad.
Reply 262
GCSE: 4 A*s 4 As

AS: ABBC (Eng, Bio, Chem, Eco)

Predicted: AAA

Would I look stupid to apply to the BM6 course... my reasoning is sort of a second back up plan?

What other sensible reasons could I give for going down the foundation year route?

Perhaps that I wanted to come to Southampton and wanted to be interviewed?

Thanks.
Reply 263
Original post by jcb123

Would I look stupid to apply to the BM6 course... my reasoning is sort of a second back up plan?

What other sensible reasons could I give for going down the foundation year route?

Thanks.

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

You need to fulfil two of those.
Reply 264
Original post by Besakt
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

You need to fulfil two of those.

I meet 3 of those...
Reply 265
Original post by jcb123

Thanks.

If you're eligible for the five year course, why apply to this one?
Reply 266
Original post by BethaneyJ
Although she has the right grades, Biology is a requirement for the BM6 programme as far as I know. (I think there was talk of accepting those with Bio and Chem at AS level if Biology wasn't taken to A2, might want to ring admissions.)

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

A levels:

A level grades BCC including chemistry and biology (or equivalent qualifications). Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. biology/ sports studies, mathematics/further mathematics) may not be offered in combination at A level. General studies and key skills are not accepted. We will not consider individual unit grades for A and AS levels as part of our selection process.

She would have to do the UKCAT to apply, however they don't really use it (though I think it's becoming something they use to differentiate between students, unlike BM5 where there is a cut off).

There are also non academic requirements of meeting two of the following:

If she doesn't want to do Biology, there are other access to medicine courses aimed at non-sciencey A level applicants.

My only concern for her would be that medicine and med school is riddled with exams, however with the support offered at uni I'm sure she'd be supported through her exam worries!

Hope this helps!

I contacted them 3 times about this. They told me that in order to be in the best position, Chemistry and Biology should be studied at A2 level.

Original post by jcb123

Thanks.

A back-up? Seriously. People work really hard to get into this course and you are applying as a back-up.

Why are you asking us "what other sensible reasons could I give for going down the foundation year route"? If you actually had a good reason you wouldn't be asking us for excuses.

No one else on this thread is applying unless they have serious reasons and they deserve it.

You are better off using your 4 Medicine choices for 5 year courses as you have a very good academic profile. You are much more likely to get offers for these courses and there is less competition too. If you wish to come to Southampton apply to the BM5.

Sorry if that sounded sharp, it's very frustrating when the course is spoken like that and when people don't understand what these foundation courses really are for.

I wish you luck with your application this year and I have no doubt that you will get where you want to. :smile:
Reply 267
Original post by xcoral23

A back-up? Seriously. People work really hard to get into this course and you are applying as a back-up.

Why are you asking us "what other sensible reasons could I give for going down the foundation year route"? If you actually had a good reason you wouldn't be asking us for excuses.

No one else on this thread is applying unless they have serious reasons and they deserve it.

You are better off using your 4 Medicine choices for 5 year courses as you have a very good academic profile. You are much more likely to get offers for these courses and there is less competition too. If you wish to come to Southampton apply to the BM5.

Sorry if that sounded sharp, it's very frustrating when the course is spoken like that and when people don't understand what these foundation courses really are for.

I wish you luck with your application this year and I have no doubt that you will get where you want to. :smile:

I completely agree.
Reply 268
I contacted them 3 times about this. They told me that in order to be in the best position, Chemistry and Biology should be studied at A2 level.

Sorry I just re-read what I posted and it sounds very rude!... didn't mean to come across like that at all.

My main reasoning would be because I don't really think I am going to get AAA, even though I have been predicted this.
Reply 269
Original post by jcb123
Sorry I just re-read what I posted and it sounds very rude!... didn't mean to come across like that at all.

My main reasoning would be because I don't really think I am going to get AAA, even though I have been predicted this.

You're not very confident in your abilities are you? If you teachers predicted you them grades they obviously think you are capable.
Reply 270
Original post by Besakt
You're not very confident in your abilities are you? If you teachers predicted you them grades they obviously think you are capable.

Not really no... well I was originally predicted ABB, but it was moved up to AAA because I'm applying for medicine!
Reply 271
Original post by jcb123
Not really no... well I was originally predicted ABB, but it was moved up to AAA because I'm applying for medicine!

My school would never do that, they said "There is no room for negotiating your predicted grades, they are what they are." and that was that.
Reply 272
Original post by Besakt
My school would never do that, they said "There is no room for negotiating your predicted grades, they are what they are." and that was that.

They only ever have to do it for a few people, as mostly everyone gets AAAA! (my school is top 3 in the country)... makes me feel terrible :s-smilie:
Original post by jcb123

Thanks.

They only ever have to do it for a few people, as mostly everyone gets AAAA! (my school is top 3 in the country)... makes me feel terrible :s-smilie:

As XCoral has said, if you're applying because of the grades, they'll see straight through it.

Your school may also be raised at interview. If you're predicted AAA (although so was I) and you go to a top school, they'll wonder why you're applying as you've had the support that other people have not. Also being predicted AAA means you'll need a strong reason for why BM6 and not BM5. Be prepared for this. Wanting an interview is not a reason to apply to BM6 not BM5. They'll not be impressed I am afraid.

If you're seriously about applying, do some research about the course, think about the extra year and extra fees. Remember there is more competition for BM6 and it might not be your best option to get in, as there are only 30 places, despite the lower grades. Your grades are something you can control, so if you can get those A's you'll be more likely to get a place in BM5.

Yeh, I imagine that's because those without Biology struggled this year. It's a new rule I believe :smile:

Original post by Besakt

It's not unheard of :smile:

Original post by chaz1992
Thanks. Very helpful. + rep.

Yeh having spoken to her she's decided to not deviate from her plan on doing postgrad.

Thank you! You must be very influential as my rep has just jumped by 6 points! Wish her all the best for everything, if you're still about TSR in a few years check back and let us know what happened! :biggrin:
Reply 274
I've been thinking about whether people will be less likely to apply this year, just due to the £9000 tuition fees. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

The best of luck to everyone applying for BM6 this year, let's hope we all get an offer and a place!! and thank you to the person who started this thread, because it's been a real help! :smile:
Reply 275
Original post by tobnot
I've been thinking about whether people will be less likely to apply this year, just due to the £9000 tuition fees. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

The best of luck to everyone applying for BM6 this year, let's hope we all get an offer and a place!! and thank you to the person who started this thread, because it's been a real help! :smile:

Probably not, it will probably put people off mickey mouse course but stuff like Law, medicine, dentistry, vet. medicine, will stay the same. Everybody is going to take out a loan and it will be deducted from your pay check once you start earning over £21k (something like that can't remember the actual figure), it will be like taxes so you won't even see the money in the first place it will already be deducted when you get your pay check.

It's been over hyped, in my opinion.
Reply 276
Original post by jcb123

It's ok, it's not so much rude. It's the principles really. I honestly think you should apply for 5 year courses. I imagine you are a very capable person and your GCSE grades are also very strong.

I think it would be a massive risk because the admissions are likely to see right through you and the reasons why you are applying. You are better off aiming for the courses with less competition and just work that extra hard to get there. It will save you a year at university and £9,000 extra and will be worth it just to try that extra bit more to hit your grades. Some people get ABB/AAB offers remember - just research where to apply and go from there.

Believe in yourself, if you walk into an exam thinking you are going to fail you probably will. Have confidence and believe you can do this! :smile:

Original post by tobnot

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :colone: I AM THE GREATEST paha.. I wish :colondollar: no problem.. we are all here to help and support each other :biggrin:
Reply 277
Original post by Besakt
Probably not, it will probably put people off mickey mouse course but stuff like Law, medicine, dentistry, vet. medicine, will stay the same. Everybody is going to take out a loan and it will be deducted from your pay check once you start earning over £21k (something like that can't remember the actual figure), it will be like taxes so you won't even see the money in the first place it will already be deducted when you get your pay check.

It's been over hyped, in my opinion.

I also agree here. Those degrees that are rather, well, pointless will have less people applying; like a lot less.

Medicine, Law, Healthcare, Nursing, Dentistry, Vet, Policing, Politics ect will either have the same or more applicants as students will realize they will need a good, well paid, stable career at the end of their degree.

There is a very high application rate to jobs in the NHS because they are deemed 'stable' jobs as the country will always require healthcare.

I just want to do it because I Love Medicine and helping people - I just hope rich little kids don't slip through the net this year and those with real qualities and passion get the places. :smile:
Hi guys!
I've completed my A levels and got AAA, but I'm limited to where I can apply because my GCSE grades were fairly low and I got a C in my 4th AS, not a B. I'm just wondering if it is wise to apply for the BM6 and the BM5 course. Also, Aberdeen told me that I can't apply there because I had to take an A2 module twice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hi guys!
I've completed my A levels and got AAA, but I'm limited to where I can apply because my GCSE grades were fairly low and I got a C in my 4th AS, not a B. I'm just wondering if it is wise to apply for the BM6 and the BM5 course. Also, Aberdeen told me that I can't apply there because I had to take an A2 module twice.

BM6 is not just about grades, and there are other requirements too so you'd need to check this. It's about widening access to though who don't have the usual medicine background.

You can apply to both that isn't a problem, however if your reasons are only that you have poor GCSEs and got a C at AS you'll be less likely to get a place. Also remember it counts as one of your choices so that only leaves you with 2 other options.

This is various uni's resit policies:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Did you take it twice within a year or outside? Either way, Southampton will be okay with that, as will a few others.

What are your GCSEs? These are (not sure if they're current) GCSE requirements:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Have you considered redoing some GCSEs? Why were they poor? These are the questions they'll be asking you and are good to think about.

If you're interested in the course, meet the criteria (it's listed in a post recently in this thread) and have other reasons than grades, then by all means apply, give it a go and good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending