The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by NelsonlikesEconomics
Who cares.

They're the 'Young Economist of the Year', you're just some random kid who entered like along with a 1000 others.

Maybe you should be a PS helper, you give such polite, constructive criticisms.
Original post by gradjobplease
But the question is...

IS IT WORTH GETTING BULLIED FOR?

:rofl:
Competition can bring the worst out in people. :laugh:
Original post by Tateco
Sure, but if you look at the previous winners of the competition and read their essays the actual essays more like stories or pieces of creative writing than academic pieces of work. I used the competition as an opportunity to focus on something that would further my understanding in that particular area and while I may not have had the most exciting, interesting or creative essay I got a good response from teachers for it and it was academically accurate. Thanks for the tip though.

Meh, just some advice.

I think the fact that he didn't win is irrelevant. He entered and therefore showed initiative and eagerness to further his economic understanding. Besides, there will only be one winner so by claiming that "others will be applying who have won and you haven't" is ridiculous - since the likelihood that a single winner will apply to the same university at the same college(s) as him is pretty low. Well done Tateco, Wish you luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2644
Original post by Psychotic546
Very true. Although even if they want it, it'll look a bit pretentious to your other choices won't it? I'm going to email the admissions tutor just to find out.

I don't think writing your UMS in UCAS is pretentious, you're just trying to give yourself as much chance of an offer by giving more information. Besides, if UCL want them, you have no choice.
Reply 2645
Original post by -Illmatic-
Competition can bring the worst out in people. :laugh:

I know :s-smilie: All I have done on this thread is try and help people and this guy comes in and starts criticising me (I don't mind people giving advice, but they don't have to be rude about it!).
Reply 2646
Original post by Extricated
I think the fact that he didn't win is irrelevant. He entered and therefore showed initiative and eagerness to further his economic understanding. Besides, there will only be one winner so by claiming that "others will be applying who have won and you haven't" is ridiculous - since the likelihood that a single winner will apply to the same university at the same college(s) as him is pretty low. Well done Tateco, Wish you luck :smile:

I think even if the winner was applying to the same place it wouldn't matter, I only mentioned I wrote it as part of the competition, and then go on to discuss what I wrote so I don't really see it as a problem, but this guy isn't going to agree whatever, so I'll just leave it :tongue:

Thanks :smile: I'm sure you'll do amazingly if you manage to handle those A-levels!
Your choice.

The winners of the competition are going to be applying to the same universities as you are, the admissions officer will read your PS and their PS, they won and you didn't.

Who cares.

They're the 'Young Economist of the Year', you're just some random kid who entered like along with a 1000 others.

This argument would be more persuasive if the university in question was only going to give out a single offer.

If it helps you demonstrate your interest then great, you don't have to have won every single thing you've ever entered to get an offer or no university would give any offers to anyone.
Interesting video of DSK here
Reply 2649
Do the likes of Cambridge/Oxford/UCL/LSE/Warwick look at your best 8 GCSEs and give them a weighing according to how many A*s you got? Or do they look at all you GCSEs are calculate the % of A* you got? Because I've heard this talk about your 'best 8' GCSEs, why is it not the full 10 or however many you took?
Reply 2650
Original post by somaiyar
Do the likes of Cambridge/Oxford/UCL/LSE/Warwick look at your best 8 GCSEs and give them a weighing according to how many A*s you got? Or do they look at all you GCSEs are calculate the % of A* you got? Because I've heard this talk about your 'best 8' GCSEs, why is it not the full 10 or however many you took?

I think the 8 best GCSEs thing came from the system Cambridge use when working out how to rate schools (and from that how to adjust GCSE scores of the applicant). But as far as I'm aware when considering you individually they look at all of your GCSE grades (if I remember correctly). This is only what I've read for Cambridge though, not sure about other universities.
Original post by Tateco
I think the 8 best GCSEs thing came from the system Cambridge use when working out how to rate schools (and from that how to adjust GCSE scores of the applicant). But as far as I'm aware when considering you individually they look at all of your GCSE grades (if I remember correctly). This is only what I've read for Cambridge though, not sure about other universities.

Yes, you're remembering correctly (I just checked today >_>) Although I should add in for somaiyar, they don't include half GCSEs in your score.
Reply 2652
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Yes, you're remembering correctly (I just checked today >_>) Although I should add in for somaiyar, they don't include half GCSEs in your score.

Do they look at them as a percentage or as x A*s and y As
Reply 2653
Original post by zxh800
Do they look at them as a percentage or as x A*s and y As

They score you 1 for each A*, and 0.6 (?) for each A (or there abouts). And then they adjust your score by adding points depending on the overall performance of your school.
Reply 2654
Original post by charlie224
Hi,
I'm applying for economics next year, but am unsure of what calibre of university to apply to, I'd like to apply to atleast one top 5 one, and I think my AS levels are good enough; Maths 100%, Economics 98%, Politics 95% and Further Maths 92%, but am concerned my GCSE's; 5A* 4A 1B will hold me back.
What does anyone think my chances would be, especially an offer from Warwick or interview for Oxford?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Very good chance for both :smile: Good luck!
Original post by Tateco
They score you 1 for each A*, and 0.6 (?) for each A (or there abouts). And then they adjust your score by adding points depending on the overall performance of your school.

Do you know what an avg score for an Oxbridge interviewee for econ is? I can find the stats for ox medicine, but not for econ :s-smilie:
Original post by charlie224
Hi,
I'm applying for economics next year, but am unsure of what calibre of university to apply to, I'd like to apply to atleast one top 5 one, and I think my AS levels are good enough; Maths 100%, Economics 98%, Politics 95% and Further Maths 92%, but am concerned my GCSE's; 5A* 4A 1B will hold me back.
What does anyone think my chances would be, especially an offer from Warwick or interview for Oxford?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey :smile:
Your percentages in your AS levels are VERY good. You must have worked hard. The GCSEs though are below average for Oxford. Since Oxford puts a lot of emphasis on GCSEs that might be a problem also because they don't care about your high AS percentages... Have you thought about Cambridge? With those percentages you would stand a very good chance plus they don't care about GCSEs as much as Oxford does. And in regard to Warwick, there you will also stand a very good chance! You should also consider LSE :wink:
Reply 2657
Original post by tooambitious
Do you know what an avg score for an Oxbridge interviewee for econ is? I can find the stats for ox medicine, but not for econ :s-smilie:

Are you seriously worrying about your GCSEs? Oxbridge place less weighting on GCSEs and yours are amazing anyway?!
Reply 2658
Original post by nightmare91
Hey :smile:
Your percentages in your AS levels are VERY good. You must have worked hard. The GCSEs though are below average for Oxford. Since Oxford puts a lot of emphasis on GCSEs that might be a problem also because they don't care about your high AS percentages... Have you thought about Cambridge? With those percentages you would stand a very good chance plus they don't care about GCSEs as much as Oxford does. And in regard to Warwick, there you will also stand a very good chance! You should also consider LSE :wink:

Good advice

But if you prefer Oxford you still have a very good chance so if that's what you want to go for then go with it :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Are you seriously worrying about your GCSEs? Oxbridge place less weighting on GCSEs and yours are amazing anyway?!

I know I'm being stupid :colondollar:, but a new girl joined my school with 11A*s an A in AS French and is doing ASs in naths fm, econ, history, physics, and she also wants to apply for ox E&M, and my school has only sent 1 person in the last 6 years for the course (although I don't know how many applied) compared to about 15 to cam econ :s-smilie:, it's just like if it's gonna be one of us it's gonna be her, bit I know other factors are important like tsa and I'm just being stupid :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending