The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anyone_can_fly
I'm doing three advanced highers, having done five highers last year - although technically I'll have four AHs, as I did maths a year early. No, people only go to college to do technical/vocational courses. There aren't many "sixth form colleges" up here. Oh and also, we don't have reception but begin Primary 1 aged 4.5 - 5.5, so we graduate half a year younger than you do.
I think even in England my area is quite unusual in having "academic" colleges.

So your years still run run September -> July (ish) but just on average the age of your year group is half a year younger? Does that mean that for quite a few people, they start university aged 17?

Original post by Incarnadine91
Newspaper/souvenier stand.
Original post by BJack
A tiny newsagent's.
Ah :biggrin: Thanks. Shame it's not the TARDIS...
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.
I got AAAA for History, Economics, Maths and Physics at AS. Now that it's A2, I've decided to drop Physics, because I found the prospect of being able to 'concentrate' more on the first three subjects very attractive indeed. I've not been going for Physics classes for a month, and it's been such a relief having three subjects.

Thing is, teachers say that having anything less than FOUR A2s would significantly downgrade my application. Like, it would significantly reduce my chances of getting an offer because apparently, having "just" 3.5 gives the admissions tutor in Oxford the impression that I'm not trying hard enough, I'm not hardworking and that I'm not willing to push myself through a bit of a challenge. I mean, I'm not completely unconvinced - even I (now pretending to be an admissions tutor) find the combination Economics, History, Maths and Physics a lot more interesting than if it didn't have Physics. Is that reasonable? :s

I can still take Physics up at this point, except that I'll have to do some serious catching up - which I'm confident I'll be able to do fine.

But give me your opinion guys - does having 4 instead of 3.5 REALLY make a difference on what the admissions tutor will make of me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amirrozlan
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.
I got AAAA for History, Economics, Maths and Physics at AS. Now that it's A2, I've decided to drop Physics, because I found the prospect of being able to 'concentrate' more on the first three subjects very attractive indeed. I've not been going for Physics classes for a month, and it's been such a relief having three subjects.

Thing is, teachers say that having anything less than FOUR A2s would significantly downgrade my application. Like, it would significantly reduce my chances of getting an offer because apparently, having "just" 3.5 gives the admissions tutor in Oxford the impression that I'm not trying hard enough, I'm not hardworking and that I'm not willing to push myself through a bit of a challenge. I mean, I'm not completely unconvinced - even I (now pretending to be an admissions tutor) find the combination Economics, History, Maths and Physics a lot more interesting than if it didn't have Physics. Is that reasonable? :s

I can still take Physics up at this point, except that I'll have to do some serious catching up - which I'm confident I'll be able to do fine.

But give me your opinion guys - does having 4 instead of 3.5 REALLY make a difference on what the admissions tutor will make of me?

If you're not planning to take Physics it shouldn't matter - they can only make an offer for three subjects after all, so the fact you only have three shouldn't 'downgrade' your application. Yes, there will be people who have 4/5 A-levels but don't let that worry you, it's not mandatory or anything. The only risk you'd be taking there is if you get the offer and then muck up one of your remaining subjects, you don't have a buffer. For me, taking four subjects (and sticking with Physics, incidentally) was more of a "just in case" option, so I could relax a little more when it came to my other three and not die from the stress. But that is a personal thing. I would advise sticking with your fourth for this reason, if you think you can catch up and cope with the workload, but if you're going to feel overworked/really really dislike Physics then drop it. Better to have three As then let a bad subject pull the others down.
Original post by fluteflute
I think even in England my area is quite unusual in having "academic" colleges.

So your years still run run September - July (ish) but just on average the age of your year group is half a year younger? Does that mean that for quite a few people, they start university aged 17?

Ah :biggrin: Thanks. Shame it's not the TARDIS...

Yes (well, mid-August to end of June to be pedantic). And yes, about 1/3 - 1/4 of people would be seventeen on starting uni (including me), though quite a few of those may do a gap year. Also, it's possible to go to a Scottish uni without sixth year, having just done Highers. This is rarer these days, but those who do it will also be seventeen. That's actually the reason why Scottish degree courses are four years. :smile:

We have TARDISes in Edinburgh.

Yes (well, mid-August to end of June to be pedantic). And yes, about 1/3 - 1/4 of people would be seventeen on starting uni (including me), though quite a few of those may do a gap year. Also, it's possible to go to a Scottish uni without sixth year, having just done Highers. This is rarer these days, but those who do it will also be seventeen. That's actually the reason why Scottish degree courses are four years. :smile:

Why is it a third to a quarter, not half?

Ah that does explain the four year uni thing. I was considering Edinburgh, but with lots of good close unis and it simply not making sense financially it's now off my shortlist.

And wow, I didn't see that TARDIS when I came to Edinburgh last year...
Gotta go to the Other place over the weekend for a wedding, ffs :lol:
:lol:
you guys are amazingly funny :woo:

Original post by punctuation
HI GUYS! Remember me? I forgot about this thread ... School started yesterday! Oh no.

You WHAT? :eek:

Original post by medbh4805
:hmmm:

Original post by such_a_lady
Who are you and what have you done with Julie?!
No way! :P I'm jealous...

Username:sangeen yahya
Subject:PPE
GCSE:A*AABBBBCC
AS:AAA
A2(Achieved):A*AA(Maths, Geography, Biology)
College:Worcester

i'm taking a gap year, and doing economics a level in january and then some other stuff after
best of luck with the personal statement :P
Reply 5389
Just edited my PS after submitting to the PS Help forum. Despite the immediate shock at the amount of holes poked in it, I genuinely think its improved buckets:redface: Good luck to all with their final drafts:smile:
Reply 5390
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice about notifying unis (especially Oxford) about extenuating circumstances? Obviously it needs to be mentioned in my reference, but do I need to send a separate letter to admissions to explain the situation in full? Only really affected my GCSE grades (they're still good, 7 A*s, 4 As and a B) so is it necessary at all? Thanks.
Original post by css-
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice about notifying unis (especially Oxford) about extenuating circumstances? Obviously it needs to be mentioned in my reference, but do I need to send a separate letter to admissions to explain the situation in full? Only really affected my GCSE grades (they're still good, 7 A*s, 4 As and a B) so is it necessary at all? Thanks.

Your GCSEs are about average so I would mention it if you really would have performed better if you hadn't have extenuating circumstances. But there is no seperate letter needed in my opinion. Your referee should be able to put it in the reference which is enough :smile:. What subject are you applying for?
Username: IBJune2012
Subject: Experimental Psychology
IB: English A2 HL, Chemistry HL, Economics HL, Norwegian A1 SL, Mathematics SL and Biology SL
College: Brasenose

Anyone else applied for Experimental Pscyhology at Oxford? And if, which college?
:smile: :smile:
UCAS form has been SENT!

:eek::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek2::eek4::eek3::eek2::eek4::eek2::eek4::eek2::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:

And my reference is in the process of being written, and then it will be sent, and then I will get on to TRACK!

:eek::eek4::eek3::eek4::eek2::eek4::eek3::eek2::eek4::eek2::eek4::eek2::eek3::eek4::eek3::eek4:
Reply 5394
Original post by nightmare91
Your GCSEs are about average so I would mention it if you really would have performed better if you hadn't have extenuating circumstances. But there is no seperate letter needed in my opinion. Your referee should be able to put it in the reference which is enough :smile:. What subject are you applying for?

I think I would have done, I was predicted 10 A*s and 2 As. Thanks :smile: Earth Sciences, you?
Original post by css-
I think I would have done, I was predicted 10 A*s and 2 As. Thanks :smile: Earth Sciences, you?

Oh well then yea you should definetely have it mentioned in your reference. I'm applying for Economics and Management at Merton College. :smile:
Reply 5396
Oh well then yea you should definetely have it mentioned in your reference. I'm applying for Economics and Management at Merton College. :smile:

That's exciting :smile: why Merton? Thinking Worcester myself :smile:
Original post by css-
That's exciting :smile: why Merton? Thinking Worcester myself :smile:

Well when I first thought about to what college I should apply to I asked some friends of mine who applied to Oxford last year. And one applied to Merton and she loved it. So I did some research on it and also liked it very much. Also because it is very academical compared to others. It comes up in the top 3 of the norrington table almost every year and the buildings are beautiful. Furthermore I really enjoyed the Open Day at Merton in July :smile:. But I wouldn't mind getting pooled of course :tongue: Worcester is great too! :smile: And why is it Worcester for you?
Reply 5398
Well when I first thought about to what college I should apply to I asked some friends of mine who applied to Oxford last year. And one applied to Merton and she loved it. So I did some research on it and also liked it very much. Also because it is very academical compared to others. It comes up in the top 3 of the norrington table almost every year and the buildings are beautiful. Furthermore I really enjoyed the Open Day at Merton in July :smile:. But I wouldn't mind getting pooled of course :tongue: Worcester is great too! :smile: And why is it Worcester for you?

I just fell in love with it, nowhere else really compared for me. So few colleges offer my course (seven in total I think) that the decision was fairly easy. All the accommodation was really nice and the college grounds are lovely!
:wavey: Hi! I'm a History applicant for this year, thanks for sharing your experience, I'm applying to Worcester college, fingers crossed! Balliol looks nice though, you seem pretty set on there :smile:

Original post by PhateGBR

Worcester: Quite a small college with a very small hall and amazing grounds. The JCR was probably my favourite. It's very comfy and they had a giant tv and a Wii as well as the typical board games.

Now, the interviews. I only interviewed at Balliol, so I can't really say how different they are at different colleges. My first interview was for History and was actually quite fun. I was asked a few questions relating to the essay I sent in but most of the questions, whilst related to the my topic, were on issues I hadn't studied directly and required me to speculate and imagine why X might have happened. This, presumably, was to let them see how I reasoned things through and stops candidates from just reciting pre-prepared arguments.

This sounds good! I really want an interview (obviously) where I don't have to recite masses of information, I've already forgotten the detail on my AS topics :s-smilie:

My second interview, for Politics, felt like a nightmare. The tutors were both nice enough, but I had to talk about lessons learned from the Russian Revolution (referenced in my personal statement) to an expert on Marx, which made me nervous,

:eek: that's it, I'm going through my personal statement with a fine tooth-comb to looks for any potential things they could ask for more information on...randomly scared someone who wrote a History book I reference will interview me :tongue:

Apologies if I've rambled on a bit, but, hopefully, this will give people more of an idea of what the interview week is like. If you've got any questions, just ask, and maybe, if I do ok in the HAT, I'll see some of you in December :smile:

I have to admit I'm dreading the HAT :frown: what have you done this/ last year in terms of preparation? I'm currently trying to learn my driving theory test and start my A2s, as well as having a part-time job :colondollar: therefore I really haven't done much, the exam looks really hard! (Do you know what is considered a "good" score on the HAT? Surely no-one can get 90-100% on something as subjective as this?)

Thanks for sharing your experience (btw, my friend visited Christchurch on an open day and said much the same thing...) GOOD LUCK FOR THE HAT :yep: I really hope to see everyone on here in December :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending