The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by tooambitious
I know I'm being stupid :colondollar:, but a new girl joined my school with 11A*s an A in AS French and is doing ASs in naths fm, econ, history, physics, and she also wants to apply for ox E&M, and my school has only sent 1 person in the last 6 years for the course (although I don't know how many applied) compared to about 15 to cam econ :s-smilie:, it's just like if it's gonna be one of us it's gonna be her, bit I know other factors are important like tsa and I'm just being stupid :tongue:

Yes you are! You have amazing GCSEs and I from talking to you you seem very keen and motivated so you'll be fine :h:

15 to Cambridge Econ :eek: What school do you go to?!
(edited 12 years ago)
I know I'm being stupid :colondollar:, but a new girl joined my school with 11A*s an A in AS French and is doing ASs in naths fm, econ, history, physics, and she also wants to apply for ox E&M, and my school has only sent 1 person in the last 6 years for the course (although I don't know how many applied) compared to about 15 to cam econ :s-smilie:, it's just like if it's gonna be one of us it's gonna be her, bit I know other factors are important like tsa and I'm just being stupid :tongue:

It's a good thing they don't only give out one offer a year then I guess.
nightmare91
x

Vielleicht koennen wir auf Deutsch ein Diskussion haben uber das Wirtschaft!

Auf diese Weise, kann ich nicht nur meine Deutsche verbessern (es ist furchtbar im Moment :tongue: ), sondern auch meine Kenntnis auf die Deutchse Wirthschaft erlangen.

Did that make any sense.
Original post by Tateco
Very good chance for both :smile: Good luck!

Thanks! You too :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Yes you are! You have amazing GCSEs and I from talking to you you seem very keen and motivated so you'll be fine :h:

15 to Cambridge Econ :eek: What school do you go to?!

The Henrietta Barnett school in north London,
The figures on the website are outdated but I know this year and last year there were a lot and some people turned cam down for lse
I just got comfort from remembering that two years ago two or three ppl got econ offers from Sidney Sussex
Reply 2665
The Henrietta Barnett school in north London,
The figures on the website are outdated but I know this year and last year there were a lot and some people turned cam down for lse
I just got comfort from remembering that two years ago two or three ppl got econ offers from Sidney Sussex

Wow :L
Original post by Tateco
Wow :L

Were just lucky quite a few of the teachers are Oxbridge alum and really help out :smile:
Original post by charlie224
Thanks for the advice, and quick reply!
I don't really want to go to Cambridge though, as I live near to it and my mum's the type of person who would try to pop round for a Sunday lunch every week! :eek:

Ah ok I totally understand you :tongue: I'd hate that. The reason of going to uni is to be AWAY from his parents :biggrin:

Original post by -Illmatic-
Vielleicht koennen wir auf Deutsch ein Diskussion haben uber das Wirtschaft!

Auf diese Weise, kann ich nicht nur meine Deutsche verbessern (es ist furchtbar im Moment :tongue: ), sondern auch meine Kenntnis auf die Deutchse Wirthschaft erlangen.

Did that make any sense.

Yea that was correct :biggrin: I'd love to have a conversation in German about Economics. Best thing you write a topic on my wall or pm me because if we do it on here we'll get warnings (already received one for writing in German :tongue:)
Reply 2668
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i'm currently researching universities that i should apply to, i have decided that i want to do economics at uni. I have just a few questions. I got 6A*'s, 2A's and 2B's in my GCSE's and i just started A2 this week i have been predicted:

Maths- A*
Eco- A*
Physics- A
Chemistry-A*

Would i be a strong candidate for Cambridge? Could i get into lse/ucl/warwick without further maths and these grades? what other universities should i consider?

Thanks,

Klajdi
Reply 2669
Original post by KlyD
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i'm currently researching universities that i should apply to, i have decided that i want to do economics at uni. I have just a few questions. I got 6A*'s, 2A's and 2B's in my GCSE's and i just started A2 this week i have been predicted:

Maths- A*
Eco- A*
Physics- A
Chemistry-A*

Would i be a strong candidate for Cambridge? Could i get into lse/ucl/warwick without further maths and these grades? what other universities should i consider?

Thanks,

Klajdi

It depends on your AS UMS. By the A* predictions, I guess you have 90+UMS in Maths, Econ and Chem?
Reply 2670
Original post by zxh800
It depends on your AS UMS. By the A* predictions, I guess you have 90+UMS in Maths, Econ and Chem?

chemistry- 257/300 UMS
maths- 268/300 UMS
eco- 186/200 UMS

Don't worry about it, my school is the same, 16 into cam econ for the last 3 years, and only one into oxfrod Econ and man. having said that a few have got PPE. i think certain schools have a natural bias, where more people seem to aim for out of oxbridge. I guess you have already been told not to apply to the same college, so its not direct competition asmuch :smile:
Reply 2672
Original post by KlyD
Hi,

Maths- A*
Eco- A*
Physics- A
Chemistry-A*

Thanks,

Klajdi

Strong chance at all of them, maybe apart from LSE because of the FM, but apart from that, your predictions, GCSE, UMS are all really solid
Reply 2673
Original post by Tateco
I think the 8 best GCSEs thing came from the system Cambridge use when working out how to rate schools (and from that how to adjust GCSE scores of the applicant). But as far as I'm aware when considering you individually they look at all of your GCSE grades (if I remember correctly). This is only what I've read for Cambridge though, not sure about other universities.

Oh okay I was just wondering where it came from, but thanks, hopefully the continue to use the 8 GCSE scoring system for 2012 entry
Reply 2674
Original post by KlyD
chemistry- 257/300 UMS
maths- 268/300 UMS
eco- 186/200 UMS

A quick glance would suggest the average is slightly lower than the average Cambridge applicant (I think that's the stat?). Your top 3 average would be 89.33% and an average of 90%+ is usually seen is decent. So, you're around there. Although, you'll have to stand out a bit more at the interview stage than others.
Reply 2675
Original post by somaiyar
Oh okay I was just wondering where it came from, but thanks, hopefully the continue to use the 8 GCSE scoring system for 2012 entry

Look up the Cambridge Admissions Handbook :smile:
Reply 2676
Original post by KlyD
chemistry- 257/300 UMS
maths- 268/300 UMS
eco- 186/200 UMS

Not bad, what college you thinking?
Reply 2677
Original post by Tateco
Not bad, what college you thinking?

Most probably an open application. I think that would be better no? I would love to go Cambridge however my deadline is on the 15th of September which is every soon and my personal statement isn’t coming along very well, which has got me stressed!
Reply 2678
Original post by KlyD
Most probably an open application. I think that would be better no? I would love to go Cambridge however my deadline is on the 15th of September which is every soon and my personal statement isn’t coming along very well, which has got me stressed!

All an open application does is randomly assign you to a college and you are treated as if you have applied directly to that college, so no I don't think it is better :tongue: You may as well pick a college you like the look of even if it's for a trivial reason :tongue:

Don't panic yet, it will only make things harder. Leave your personal statement for a day and go back to it, I found having breaks from it helped me a lot :smile:
Reply 2679
Original post by Tateco
All an open application does is randomly assign you to a college and you are treated as if you have applied directly to that college, so no I don't think it is better :tongue: You may as well pick a college you like the look of even if it's for a trivial reason :tongue:

Don't panic yet, it will only make things harder. Leave your personal statement for a day and go back to it, I found having breaks from it helped me a lot :smile:

Nice one. Thing is wont they put you in a college that is less subscribed so we have a higher chance of getting in?

Latest

Trending

Trending