The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7040
Im not applying for medicine this year but didnt know where else to ask this question :smile:

I have been told countless times by my tutors at school and an admissions tutor from oxford that they dont accept people who have taken their A-levels in modules, so you have to take them all at once. But im getting mixed answers as to whether this applies to AS and A2 or just A2.

Anybody actually know whether its both AS and A2 or just A2?? and please dont guess :smile: thanks
Reply 7041
Original post by sam1705
Im not applying for medicine this year but didnt know where else to ask this question :smile:

I have been told countless times by my tutors at school and an admissions tutor from oxford that they dont accept people who have taken their A-levels in modules, so you have to take them all at once. But im getting mixed answers as to whether this applies to AS and A2 or just A2.

Anybody actually know whether its both AS and A2 or just A2?? and please dont guess :smile: thanks

Not true. As long as you take all your A Level modules within a 2 year period, you're safe. I think what your tutors mean is if you took your A Levels over a period of longer than 2 years. That would be counted as "resitting your A Levels" and a lot of medical schools will look down on that.
Reply 7042
Hey guys what do you think my chances are?

GCSE: 4 A*s 4 As

AS: ABBC (Eng, Bio, Chem, Eco)

Predicted: AAA

Personal statement: Is apparently very impressive!

UKCAT: Unknown

Applying: Peninsula, Newcastle, Manchester, Brighton-Sussex or Southampton foundation
Original post by sam1705

I think it's only true for UCL. They ask you to take all the modules in June, so you only have one sitting for AS exams and one for the A2 ones with the possibility of resitting some of the AS modules in the second sitting. Other than that, you're fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7044
Original post by Vulpes
Not true. As long as you take all your A Level modules within a 2 year period, you're safe. I think what your tutors mean is if you took your A Levels over a period of longer than 2 years. That would be counted as "resitting your A Levels" and a lot of medical schools will look down on that.

That's a relief if thats true but how come one of the admissions tutors from oxford said that your A2 levels have to be taken in one go, because it shows you can retain information??
Original post by Long Time Coming
I think it's only true for UCL. They ask you to take all the modules in June, so you only have one setting for AS exams and one for the A2 ones with the possibility of resitting some of the AS modules in the second setting. Other than that, you're fine.

Is that for all subjects or just medicine? Cause I know someone who got in for a bio/chem course and we did modules in jan and june :s-smilie:
Original post by Quackers93
Is that for all subjects or just medicine? Cause I know someone who got in for a bio/chem course and we did modules in jan and june :s-smilie:

Just for medicine I think. It changed last year.

Ah right, good thing I'm not applying there as I know nothing about it :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Ah right, good thing I'm not applying there as I know nothing about it :tongue:

It's a fine medical school nonetheless.
Reply 7049
Hows everyone's PS coming along? I feel like its so hard to take out the cliche
My school gave me a deadline of Sept 28th so pretty scared for applications. :frown:
Reply 7050
I have sorted out places 1,2 and 3 need a fourth place where is good for me to apply?

GCSE: 10A*'s, 1A

A/S: 4A's

UKCAT: 630 average

Already applying to Birmingham, Cardiff and Queens

Where else should I apply guys and why?

Any suggestions appreciated
Reply 7051
hi, where is best to apply,

gcses 8.5 a* 3 a 2 distinctions, fsmq add maths a

5 as levels at a, bio, physics, chem, maths and f maths, and dropped f maths a alevel

ukcat 657.5 average,

i was thinking oxford, nottingham, keele, then edinburgh or liverpool, is there any which are stupid to apply to, ive got loads of ec and a good variety of work experience and volunteering

Hey guys, I need help on deciding my last choice for medical school. So far, I'm applying to: Oxford, Imperial and Barts.
GCSE's: 6A*'s, 10A's, 2B's.
AS Levels: AAAAA in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, RS and Further Maths
A Level: A* in Maths.
Predictions:A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths and Physics.

2 weeks in total at GP's and 1 week at the Royal London Hospital. EC's are kinda bad :colondollar: But I was in young enterprise. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7053

Do you know if this is still the case for 2012 entry?
Original post by sam43
Do you know if this is still the case for 2012 entry?

I would think so.
Reply 7055
Does anyone know of Medical Schools that looks at AS grades? Apart from Cambridge :smile:
I would think so.

Do you have a source for this? I know they don't like retakes but I was unaware that it was the same for modular exams.
Original post by Normandy114
Do you have a source for this? I know they don't like retakes but I was unaware that it was the same for modular exams.

I'm afraid not, I had read about it last year, but haven't really looked for a source. Your best bet is to ask current UCL medics or maybe look at their prospectus.

EDIT: There's a bit on the second page of this document, but it says we "recommend" rather than "require" so I don't know.
(edited 12 years ago)
I will be so glad when I can finally send my UCAS form off in a couple of weeks... this is so stressful. :emo:
Original post by Ariadne xox
I will be so glad when I can finally send my UCAS form off in a couple of weeks... this is so stressful. :emo:

My school's internal deadline is Friday, so stressed atm :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending