The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NyLonEd
What's the longest amount of time you guys have ever been in a LDR?

How was it?

Are you still together / if not, why?

13 1/2 months now. My first LDR.

Horrible but LOVE him.

Yes.

We are both over 30, I guess that makes it easier, we are calmer, and do trust each other 200% ( :biggrin: I'm not a math-person)
Reply 6341
Original post by NyLonEd

How was it?

I was once in a LDR for 4 years.. it didn't work out, but not necessarily because of the LDR. I know the distance got to him, but in the end he just wasn't a great boyfriend. He was jealous, insecure, and we fought all the time.

I've now been in my current LDR for 21 months and we're still going very strong. Putting the distance aside, our relationship is perfect. We are so amazingly compatible and I think that makes the distance easier. Luckily in a few months we'll be moving closer together :smile: We'll still be in a LDR but there won't be quite as large of a distance gap!
Seeing the bf next week...then not going to see him till second weekend in October...this'll be first test of us really! But I want him to settle in to uni and have a great first few weeks without worrying about me!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Seeing the bf next week...then not going to see him till second weekend in October...this'll be first test of us really! But I want him to settle in to uni and have a great first few weeks without worrying about me!

Hey GEG welcome to LDR :smile: have you seen this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1522974&page=494

I know exactly how you feel... I dont get to see Dipless until the end of october which sucks so if you ever need to rant or someone to talk to you know where to find me :smile:
Original post by NyLonEd

How was it?

A year and a half

It didnt work out as we just weren't compatible in the end and he did some things as well so I just couldnt stay with him

In a new LDR now though, but this time its international. Its really hard but were so good together I know if we can make it through this year (i'm fairly certain we can) we can make it through anything!
Hello. I'm going away for an academic year leaving my boyfriend behind at our university. I'm feeling really worried about this as we're having some issues and I am worried that the people who he knows might lead him astray or something.

All I want is to have a great year and not focus on being worried but I know I will be.
Original post by Anonymous

God I'm so confused, and she's out with her friends tonight (the second night in a row I'm alone with noone to talk to while she's out) so we can't talk again. It just seems like as soon as I went she totally lost interest in me, like I had to physically be there to matter?

I know from my own experience that when you're together at home and everything is lovey-dovey and rosey, it's bliss, but can quickly become difficult when you transfer this to an LDR. I think one of the reasons why she's avoiding talking to you is because it hurts too much to talk to you, firstly, for having to settle for this 'second-rate' method of communication compared to being in person. Secondly, to cope with how it hurts not being with you, she's seeking distractions in other ways i.e. seeing other friends to take her mind off the fact you're not here.
Reply 6347
In 9 days i'll leave to uni .... first time for us, we have seen each other all the time this summer :/

But thanks to god, the train is available between us and cheap, i'm really stressful for her safety in a hall between 7-20 persons, I don't know if guys at uni are not primitif and we'll harass her (because she's wonderful) :/
Reply 6348
Original post by NyLonEd

How was it?

3 years (although been together 4.5), first year was international LDR, second/third about 3 hours away and we're back to international for a little while.

We're still going strong and although its been really difficult at times it is completely worth it.
Original post by Tom_Sg
In 9 days i'll leave to uni .... first time for us, we have seen each other all the time this summer :/

But thanks to god, the train is available between us and cheap, i'm really stressful for her safety in a hall between 7-20 persons, I don't know if guys at uni are not primitif and we'll harass her (because she's wonderful) :/

She will be fine honestly :smile: It's great that you guys have a good train connection so you'll easily be able to see each other every week/every other week! (and i'm very jealous :tongue: )
Reply 6350
Yeah 3h30 by train, 37£ return, cheap. We have planned to see each other every two weeks :smile:)

3 months will pass quickly ...

At least we're lucky to be able to see each other :smile:
Original post by Jellybean91
Hey GEG welcome to LDR :smile: have you seen this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1522974&page=494

I know exactly how you feel... I dont get to see Dipless until the end of october which sucks so if you ever need to rant or someone to talk to you know where to find me :smile:

A thread for chatting and spam :ahee: feels like home! :jumphug:
Guess I should officially join this thread now :tongue:

For three weeks I was in Germany on a scholarship course thing, and fell head over heels for a young man (can you call them boys when they're 18?) who pretty much walked into my life in a cloud of self-confidence and unfortunately embodied everything I've ever been looking for in a person :tongue: We've been together just over a month now and it's quite funny us being together because we both have the reputation among our social circles for being absolutely terrible at relationships (I ended one LDR to be with him, ironically enough), and now we're attempting this.

We're both starting our last year at school. I'm going to study in England and he is applying to American unis and possibly some British ones as "backup", but I doubt he'll even register for UCAS in time. If this year alone suceeds, I hugely doubt he'll want to stay together if he goes off to Harvard or something. Yay pessimism! I was already shocked the first time that he told me that he'd unintentionally ruined his plan of it being a fling, and fallen in love, and then the time when I insisted he stop avoiding the question of whether we would break up after leaving Germany, and I would have bet every penny I owned that he would agree never to keep in touch again. I would clearly have lost.

So it's an interesting kind of relationship. It's been difficult enough getting him to realise that two-week intervals of getting in contact aren't really okay... I find out tomorrow (eek) if he's actually coming to visit me in half-term; he's asked his old judo trainer if he can have a job training a younger group of kids, through which he can afford plane fares etc. He's reluctant to borrow from his parents.

I've never been with anyone like him, really. Everything in me, like my cockiness and love of books and confidence and love of long words, is reflected right back at me through him. He's cleverer than me and much, much better-looking than me... We had some amazing times together on the course; we ended up doing Cinderella as a play and I was the princess and he was the prince :tongue:

So, I don't have MASSIVE high hopes for this relationship, but please don't misinterpret that: I want it to work more than I've wanted anything to work in my whole life; I just believe it will end within the year.

He lives in Estonia, by the way :smile:
Original post by Tom_Sg
Yeah 3h30 by train, 37£ return, cheap. We have planned to see each other every two weeks :smile:)

3 months will pass quickly ...

At least we're lucky to be able to see each other :smile:

Yeh thats not bad at all! :smile: 2 weeks is very doable!

I booked flights home last night for 26 days time because i'm missing the boy stupid amounts! It'll be our 3 months while i'm there and i'm so excited to spend it with him instead of over skype and playing games like last night for our 2 months, which, as lovely as that was, just wasnt the same as being able to cuddle up together!
Reply 6354
Original post by buchanan700
Wow. You sound just like my boyfriend. This is exactly the situation we are in, apart from the fact we've been together 3 years. Listen to me, and I'll tell you exactly the same thing I said to my bf -
Trust, Trust, Trust! Trust is all you have, without it, you can't survive. Don't you think she's worried about the same thing? That shes not worried about YOU running off with someone? Because YOU are the one casting doubts, almost willing it to not work! She should be more worried about you!
Everytime I think about my brain thinks about my bf running off and leaving me, or cheating, I take a deep breath and think about the good times. Thats what you need to do.
Plan when you are going to see each other, and talk everyday.

Good luck :smile:

Buchanan, Thank you so much, we both have had our ups and downs and have cried recently/a lot! but she says the same, she is worried about us, but in the end. We both love each other. We both want it to work. We both know its going to work so its fine :smile: Thats exactly what we/I should do and just take a step back and look at the good times we have had together :smile:

I am hopefully going to apply to her university in 2012 so I can be closer to her, or rent a flat to be closer to her and make it work.

Again, thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it. :smile: X
Reply 6355
Original post by Réglisse
You just have to trust her. Every time doubts creep in, remind yourself that she loves you and you alone. Sure, guys may try to take advantage but it's up to her to say no.
Give her the benefit of the doubt until you find you find out otherwise :smile:

I know, I said, if she cheats, its up to her, I trust her, just not boys, because I know boys can be hurtful. I love my girlfriend so much and she tells me she loves me. I know she keeps saying she will say no if ever anything occurs.

True Reglisse :smile: Thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it. :smile:X
Reply 6356
Original post by Gstar6
I know, I said, if she cheats, its up to her, I trust her, just not boys, because I know boys can be hurtful. I love my girlfriend so much and she tells me she loves me. I know she keeps saying she will say no if ever anything occurs.

True Reglisse :smile: Thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it. :smile:X

Nice attitude.

You can never control your girlfriend. Cheating is a choice she makes. If it's going to happen, let it happen: this way you'll find out what she's really like, and save yourself from working it out later on in the relationship.

But when it comes down to it, chances are that she wouldn't do it!
My boyfriends moving to Uni in October and I'm staying at home... dreading it. I've seen him every day for the past 3 years and I can't even bare to think about it. I'm so worried and anxious about him going and me being left all on my own; it's started causing issues already but I know once he's settled and we both get used to not seeing each other as often we will both relax a bit. Maybe it could bring us even closer :-)
I just hope it doesn't break us. Feel so lonely right now. :frown:
Original post by NyLonEd

How was it?

2 years and 8 days (the entirety of the relationship).
Its hard, don't get me wrong. But you do kind of get used to it. And modern communications make it so much easier :smile:
I don't think i'm coping so well :/

Eugh, it better get better after the first few weeks!

Latest

Trending

Trending