Original post by digitalis
You need to annotate first aid with:
Brs physiology
Brs path
Clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple
Lippincotts biochemistry
Hy molecular biology.

Do two readthroughs of fa.
Do USMLE world in random, timed full blocks.
Annotate each explanation into FA
Read FA again.

That's what I did. Have a healthy fear of this exam. It is no joke and will piss all over you, regardless of how well you do in med school.

eugh. better get cracking then - how long did you give for doing revision? I might book once I've studied FA once properly

gz on finishing dude, they say that's the hardest and most important "step" and I guess it prepares you well for path and finals?
Original post by n1r4v
If you don't mind me asking... where are you planning on going in the US? What made you decide to go there?

If I'm honest, ill go where I get a job. For the least competitive speciality (I'm) even with the a outstanding step 1 score (>260) only 60% of applicants with that sort of score will match. Its a tough game for IMGs.

Reasons?

I was born an expat, got itchy feet now. Time for a change soon.
I want to travel and having an American postgrad training is very desirable and transferable. I quite like Canada and doing a residency in the US is a kind of backdoor into Canada (as it is essentially impossible to do a residency as an IMG in Canada)
The postgraduate training system is much more structured there. There is a vast increase in the amount of formal training given to residents cf with the system in place here.
Takes less time to become an attending/consultant there.
No EWTD=firm based structure. Nice sense of continuity when you are on a specific rotation.
Pay is much more than here.

Oh and they still wear white coats and ties! (Says something coming from the most litigious society on Earth!!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5482
Original post by Medicine Man
The recently graduated doctors from BL I know/finalists from last year, say that the union was much better to hang out in the past. I obviously only have two years worth of experience to compare, but last year certainly wasn't as enjoyable as first year IMO. First year was crazy fun, but it probably was because we were a massive year so the union always felt relatively packed. I reckon things will be better this year though with a normal sized intake coming in... :holmes:
The union has always had it's ebbs and flows. The intake before mine were a low, the intake before them were a high. And that affects the tempo and the mood of the union for the year.
Hopefully this will aid with our trolling.

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.
Original post by Fission_Mailed

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.

Would we get half a point for knowing the speed of a migrating European swallow? Nice work :colone:
Original post by junior.doctor
Would we get half a point for knowing the speed of a migrating European swallow? Nice work :colone:

I depends on whether the swallow in question weighs more or less than a duck.

mate you have far too much time on your hands lol.
Original post by Isometrix
mate you have far too much time on your hands lol.

Yes. Yes I do.
Yes. Yes I do.

You sir, are a legend. :hat2:
Original post by Stanley90
You sir, are a legend. :hat2:

I've been told. Apparently I'm the 2nd funniest medic.
Reply 5490
I've been told. Apparently I'm the 2nd funniest medic.

who's no1? the medic that designated you that status?

hr hr hrr :colone:

can someone please fill me in on the inside joke - I don't mind being an outsider outside, but not on the interweb :C
Original post by buzzcat
who's no1? the medic that designated you that status?

hr hr hrr :colone:

can someone please fill me in on the inside joke - I don't mind being an outsider outside, but not on the interweb :C

It's probably Renal, there was a vote a few weeks ago. The inside joke is Bath medical school, look back a page or two.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Yeh, they're changing their course structure so the BSc will be less of a standalone year and more integrated into the rest of the course.

Thanks! That's a bit of a shame, but oh well :tongue:
Original post by Mushi_master
Ew embryology :tongue: not a bad choice though as it may tie in pretty well with the repro scenarios.

Bit anxious, gonna be a very different year! Looking forward to it though, have been since I started. Intro week starts on Monday so summer bliss over very soon!

Fingers crossed :tongue: Ah yes I can imagine- good luck though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Enjoy your last weekend of freedom! :biggrin:
Reply 5494

:rofl: !! Excellent. Personally I love the Bath thing.
Original post by lekky
:rofl: !! Excellent. Personally I love the Bath thing.

What's not to love? The next stage is to hack into the wiki to make a page for it.
What's not to love? The next stage is to hack into the wiki to make a page for it.

I can just imagine the joke escalating to the point you guys rent an empty building in Bath and run an open day for prospective medical students. :tongue:

..."This is yet another empty room. As with all the others, only those of you with higher levels of intellect and imagination are able to conceive what we use it for, anyone who does not know may as well leave now."
*embarassed students looking at eachother reluctant to leave*

I like the fact you have to answer 6 questions when there's 5 :teehee:

I am now back at uni, ready to start on Monday :awesome:

Awesome. I didn't really know much about the Bath thing before now, but it's pretty funny!
Original post by digitalis
Let's be honest, the union is a ****hole, it is barely ever open and only a solid clique of around 70 people I would say go to it on a reg basis. It was hardly open last year. Tbh, I am surprised QM were even bankrolling its renovation! Hats off to them.

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. In all honesty, I felt really let down by the social aspect of BL this year. I was told it would be an awesome, close knit community. What I found was a clique of ~50 people, rubbish events and a lackluster opening schedule.

I had way more fun at Essex university when I went down there. Sigh, I hate talking about stuff like this though, just stirs up thoughts that I should have gone to Leicester over and over again despite it being asinine and irrelevent as they've already told me outright they don't accept transfer or applications from students currently studying.

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show