The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Can som1 provid me with a list of programmes for black ppl?
Original post by Zweihander
You really dont need to apply for spring weeks till like December.

Do the banks give out offers on a rolling basis i.e. while applications are still coming in? Or do they only start looking at them once the deadline's past?
Original post by Warwick

Are you serious?!
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Do the banks give out offers on a rolling basis i.e. while applications are still coming in? Or do they only start looking at them once the deadline's past?

None of the banks assess spring week apps on a rolling basis, the'll pick a date when they want to start assessing apps and they wont bother till then. In fact this year we found that some people who sent off their apps too early (ie. before December) were ignored because their apps were at the "bottom of the pile" respective to people who had applied later. That's why you dont really need to apply till December. Last year I had all of my interviews after each bank's deadline, mostly in February, so you wont see people getting offers till about then. It's been like this for the past couple years actually.
None of the banks assess spring week apps on a rolling basis, the'll pick a date when they want to start assessing apps and they wont bother till then. In fact this year we found that some people who sent off their apps too early (ie. before December) were ignored because their apps were at the "bottom of the pile" respective to people who had applied later. That's why you dont really need to apply till December. Last year I had all of my interviews after each bank's deadline, mostly in February, so you wont see people getting offers till about then. It's been like this for the past couple years actually.

Cheers for the info
Are you serious?!

I think it's meant to be some sort of joke.
Original post by i_hate_teeth
I think it's meant to be some sort of joke.

I've seen some of his other posts and I don't think he's joking lol. You didn't reply to my other post - are you going to UCL in Sept?
What are the average A Level grades for applicants do you think?
Would getting AAB hinder your application or not? I'm happy with my grades but I know how crazy competitive IB is!
Reply 168
Original post by Warwick

SEO London

Rare Recruitment

Both friendly helpers, but not exclusively for black people.

If you want just "black people" perhaps try IB in prodominately black countries... Also just make black contacts in the IB firms, the black people in Front Office ( or any department - just FO is most coveted), could potentially recommend you for interview etc since they work there...

(This is not exclusive to black people - but race is kinda irrelevant at a entry / grad level)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by woods.vanessa
What are the average A Level grades for applicants do you think?
Would getting AAB hinder your application or not? I'm happy with my grades but I know how crazy competitive IB is!

I would imagine the range would be from BBC - A*A*A*+, due to the competitive nature of banking it would have people closer to the A* end of the spectrum. Normally a bank will just set a minimum standard, but with extenuating circumstances allowed.
Reply 170
I'm a maths student at Warwick about to start my second year (4 year course), and so the topic of springs weeks has been brought to my attention. Is there anywhere I can have a look at all of the different roles to apply for, hopefully with a short description of each? I'm not sure what's out there really, I'm going to apply for as much as I can but I don't have any relevant financial work experience to guide me in a general direction. I've started some spread betting / trading in my own time and I'm enjoying it, but I don't know what that would be like in a banking environment. What is there to do to enhance my application? I participate in lots of things at uni, but I'm not on the exec for any societies, my A levels are average-to-good I suppose (AAABB - 5 A levels, taken in 2009 before the A* grade was introduced). Sorry for asking questions which are probably answered elsewhere, I'll continue to browse this subforum for answers but if anyone could offer any more words of wisdom that would be fantastic :smile: Thanks.
Reply 171
MS has no longer got an SW programme.
Original post by TroTro
MS has no longer got an SW programme.

source?
Reply 173
source?

Not official of course, but it's not on their website anywhere. Last year's link doesnt work - it goes to a 'page not found' screen.

Maybe they are in transition from last year to this and are just making a new page that does not yet exist?
Reply 174
Original post by ebam_uk
SEO London

Rare Recruitment

Both friendly helpers, but not exclusively for black people.

If you want just "black people" perhaps try IB in prodominately black countries... Also just make black contacts in the IB firms, the black people in Front Office ( or any department - just FO is most coveted), could potentially recommend you for interview etc since they work there...

(This is not exclusive to black people - but race is kinda irrelevant at a entry / grad level)

thx brah
Is is possible to get through the first stage if you dont go to a target school. What mean by that is whether they will invite you for a numerical test after admitting your application
source?

Original post by TroTro
Not official of course, but it's not on their website anywhere. Last year's link doesnt work - it goes to a 'page not found' screen.

Is is possible to get through the first stage if you dont go to a target school. What mean by that is whether they will invite you for a numerical test after admitting your application

Maybe they are in transition from last year to this and are just making a new page that does not yet exist?
Reply 176
When do Spring Weeks usually take place? :smile:
Original post by mogans
When do Spring Weeks usually take place? :smile:

Autumn.

Nah, late March - early April around Easter.
Is anyone actually researching SW's seriously atm? I'll probably start looking at stuff/preparing applications in my reading week halfway through the first term of uni...
Is anyone actually researching SW's seriously atm? I'll probably start looking at stuff/preparing applications in my reading week halfway through the first term of uni...

I've got a spreadsheet of the SWs available, the deadlines, the application type (cover letter+CV or application form etc), and a link to the main info page+any useful info on interviews/ACs. Didn't take long, maybe 3 hours, but I just wanted to make the task more organised and manageable for when I did get to doing the serious work.

Leaving competency and 'why us' questions until application time when I do real firm specific research, though I did have a go at the 'Why IB' question.

Latest