The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2700
Original post by Tateco
Makes sense I suppose. Maths with Econ is 43:1 applicant:tongue:lace ratio

That's ridiculous. I know so many people in my school applying to LSE, UCL and KCL just because they're London universities, yet they have ABDD, or similar, AS-Level results.
Reply 2701
Original post by Groat
That's ridiculous. I know so many people in my school applying to LSE, UCL and KCL just because they're London universities, yet they have ABDD, or similar, AS-Level results.

What course is that for?
Reply 2702
Original post by Tateco
What course is that for?

Politics, I believe, but it just seems to be a general thing for people to over-shoot at any university other than Oxford and Cambridge. It'd be interesting to see what the ratio is for offers and applicants they could've easily given offers to instead of just applicants.
Reply 2703
Original post by Groat
Politics, I believe, but it just seems to be a general thing for people to over-shoot at any university other than Oxford and Cambridge. It'd be interesting to see what the ratio is for offers and applicants they could've easily given offers to instead of just applicants.

Hmm, I think a lot of people are over-ambitious, or maybe I'm just too pessimistic :tongue:

I mucked up that PM, but you get the idea :tongue:
Original post by Groat

I know what you mean. There are people in my school who have no chance at oxbridge (BBC, etc.) but seem to believe it's so much easier to get into LSE...
Reply 2705
Guys would you say the average A2 prediction for unis like Warwick/LSE/UCL for economics is around A*A*A assuming 3 subjects.This is what my teacher said, im predicted A*AA and i thought although i meet the minimiun requirements its not worth my applying
Reply 2706
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I know what you mean. There are people in my school who have no chance at oxbridge (BBC, etc.) but seem to believe it's so much easier to get into LSE...

When in fact LSE and UCL are probably harder... (for economics anyway)

Original post by Alpha5
Guys would you say the average A2 prediction for unis like Warwick/LSE/UCL for economics is around A*A*A assuming 3 subjects.This is what my teacher said, im predicted A*AA and i thought although i meet the minimiun requirements its not worth my applying

I think as long as you meet the minimum then predictions no longer matter. AS grades, GCSEs are probably more important. What were your grades and UMS like?
Original post by Groat
How wrong can you really go with a PS, though? :s-smilie:

I'd suggest very tbph. Some of the ones I've read :redface:
Reply 2708
Original post by Alpha5
My grades are pretty decent although far from some peoples applying for economics.

GCSE - 6A* 1A and 2B's
AS-levels - AAAA in Math (280/300), Eco (181/200), 2 sciences(mid a's).I wish i'd done f.maths.
A2 prediction - A*A*A and EPQ - A
its fairly solid, baring in mind i attend a very poor school, whether LSE considers this or not i dont know.

Whats my chances for economics at LSE or maybe even accounting and finance?:smile:

Moderate-low for LSE (it's such a lottery that it's impossible to say) Economics and very good for A&F
Reply 2709
Original post by Alpha5
My grades are pretty decent although far from some peoples applying for economics.

GCSE - 6A* 1A and 2B's
AS-levels - AAAA in Math (280/300), Eco (181/200), 2 sciences(mid a's).I wish i'd done f.maths.
A2 prediction - A*A*A and EPQ - A
its fairly solid, baring in mind i attend a very poor school, whether LSE considers this or not i dont know.

Whats my chances for economics at LSE or maybe even accounting and finance?:smile:

you have a reasonable chance, with good predictions!
Reply 2710
Original post by Tateco
Moderate-low for LSE (it's such a lottery that it's impossible to say) Economics and very good for A&F

Thanks for your help.
I guess the LSE Economics dream is gone.
I really want to go to LSE, so what percentage would you say I have for Accounting and Finance at LSE. Assuming a good PS and teacher ref.

Thanks again
Reply 2711
Original post by Alpha5
Thanks for your help.
I guess the LSE Economics dream is gone.
I really want to go to LSE, so what percentage would you say I have for Accounting and Finance at LSE. Assuming a good PS and teacher ref.

Thanks again

It's not a dream gone at all, but LSE is such a lottery that it's impossible to predict!

Remember that if you apply to LSE A&F that means you have to apply to all A&F unis or your PS won't work, you'll need to decide if it's worth it. I couldn't possibly put a % on it, I'm only giving vague advice! But I'd say you have a good chance :smile:
Reply 2712
yeah you are right it is a pure lottery.
I do like the A and F course structure, but only Warwick or LSE will do.
So its a risk aswell. But looking at A and F its AAA, my predictions exceed this so i guess I should get atleast offer from the two.

Just a general question now, does warwick want an academic personal statement, inwhich i discuss further readings, work exp , academics ect, or do they like ec.
Original post by Alpha5
yeah you are right it is a pure lottery.
I do like the A and F course structure, but only Warwick or LSE will do.
So its a risk aswell. But looking at A and F its AAA, my predictions exceed this so i guess I should get atleast offer from the two.

Just a general question now, does warwick want an academic personal statement, inwhich i discuss further readings, work exp , academics ect, or do they like ec.

LSE definetely prefer an academic personal statement! I think on their website you can read what they like in regard to the PS. If you can link some ECs to your degree though, then I would mention it.
Reply 2714
Speaking of Personal Statements, I've finally stuck my teeth into writing mine. Half way through, the other half will depend on what kind of course I apply to for LSE. If I apply for Maths and Econ, then I'll be hoping the Maths part of my PS will cause no problems for the pure courses I'm applying to seeing as they're quite quantitative in nature.
Reply 2715
Original post by zxh800
Speaking of Personal Statements, I've finally stuck my teeth into writing mine. Half way through, the other half will depend on what kind of course I apply to for LSE. If I apply for Maths and Econ, then I'll be hoping the Maths part of my PS will cause no problems for the pure courses I'm applying to seeing as they're quite quantitative in nature.

You could always apply for EME? That way they wouldn't expect you to talk about pure maths at any point.
Reply 2716
Original post by Tateco
You could always apply for EME? That way they wouldn't expect you to talk about pure maths at any point.

Econometrics and Mathematical Economics? Isn't that just as competitive as pure econ?
Original post by zxh800
Econometrics and Mathematical Economics? Isn't that just as competitive as pure econ?

I think it may be more...

It seems to be almost exactly the same as the normal course except you have less choices in the optional modules.
Reply 2718
Original post by zxh800

Not as competitive as Maths and Econ at LSE...
Reply 2719
Original post by Tateco
Not as competitive as Maths and Econ at LSE...

What, is that supposed to be more competetive than Pure Economics? Really? My school has never gotten anyone into Pure Econ but we've had a couple get into Maths and Econ.

Latest

Trending

Trending