The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

electronic and electrical engineering at ucl

im hoping my question is answered by a current or ex EEE ucl student. i want to know if i can survive the meng course without having done further maths as it wasnt offered in my school.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by king_leonidas
im hoping my question is answered by a current or ex EEE ucl student. i want to know if i can survive the meng course without having done further maths as it wasnt offered in my school.

F. Maths isn't required for that particular course so you will be taught the necessary topics. Obviously people that covered the topics at A-Level will have a head start compared to you but I imagine this stuff will be taught very quickly so everyone is more or less in the same boat.

btw I'm also starting this yr in EEE
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by i_hate_teeth
F. Maths isn't required for that particular course so you will be taught the necessary topics. Obviously people that covered the topics at A-Level will have a head start compared to you but I imagine this stuff will be taught very quickly so everyone is more or less in the same boat.

so then i wont be at a major disadvantage? i hav a bit of time be4 course strts and cud possibly finish off fp1 fp2 fp3 but i wanted 2 knw will it be worth it so close to start of semester. out of curiosity hav u dun further maths urself?>
so then i wont be at a major disadvantage? i hav a bit of time be4 course strts and cud possibly finish off fp1 fp2 fp3 but i wanted 2 knw will it be worth it so close to start of semester. out of curiosity hav u dun further maths urself?>

I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage, no point learning that stuff now..enjoy your free time while it lasts. Judging from the timetable, EEE is a pretty intensive course. Yeah I did F. Maths

I'm a second year EEE student. Basically you've probably heard this many times before but seriously FM helps a lot. Seeing as it wasnt offered @ urs, trust me you dont have to worry too much about it. Maths in only 1 module out of 8 and as long as you work consistently throughout the year, you'll be fine. Many friends of mine managed to hack the 1st year with a solid 2:1 or a 1st by doing just single maths/btechs etc. However make sure you do all the assignments that they give u throughout the year, ask loads of questions and most importantly attend all lectures.

Did you guys get a booklet in the summer with maths and electromagnetics questions? If you havent done it already then i *strongly* suggest u to do so.

I dont knwo if you guys know already but you will be having mentors from the 2nd/3rd years who will meet u every monday and help u out with stuff. So chill!

Feel free to ask any UCL/EEE related questions.
Original post by diracdeltafunc
I'm a second year EEE student. Basically you've probably heard this many times before but seriously FM helps a lot. Seeing as it wasnt offered @ urs, trust me you dont have to worry too much about it. Maths in only 1 module out of 8 and as long as you work consistently throughout the year, you'll be fine. Many friends of mine managed to hack the 1st year with a solid 2:1 or a 1st by doing just single maths/btechs etc. However make sure you do all the assignments that they give u throughout the year, ask loads of questions and most importantly attend all lectures.

Did you guys get a booklet in the summer with maths and electromagnetics questions? If you havent done it already then i *strongly* suggest u to do so.

I dont knwo if you guys know already but you will be having mentors from the 2nd/3rd years who will meet u every monday and help u out with stuff. So chill!

Feel free to ask any UCL/EEE related questions.

How easy/difficult is it to get onto an exchange program with Caltech/ Columbia?

I didn't get any maths/ EM questions. What topics would you suggest we revise?

Are there any lecturers that we should be wary of?

I took a quick look at the EEE timetable on the website, but didn't fully understand it. Is EEE really 10-5 Monday to Friday with Wednesday afternoons off?

thanks
How easy/difficult is it to get onto an exchange program with Caltech/ Columbia?

I didn't get any maths/ EM questions. What topics would you suggest we revise?

Are there any lecturers that we should be wary of?

I took a quick look at the EEE timetable on the website, but didn't fully understand it. Is EEE really 10-5 Monday to Friday with Wednesday afternoons off?

thanks

1) As far as i know, Caltech is the hardest to get into. Only 1 student is allowed in the exchange programme from all of UCL. This makes it even harder...but still possible. I believe in the departmental website they've got a profile of a guy who made it.

2) They wont check but will most certainly help. The 1st assignment (graded one) would be on partial fractions. If you think they were easy, wait till you hit the last few q's of this assignment. I suggest you contact the department and talk to Lucy Martin. She will be more than happy to email them.

3) Polina Bayvel - Electronic circuits.Mark my words :biggrin::biggrin:

4)https://cmis.adcom.ucl.ac.uk:4443/timetabling/homePage.do

Click on department >electronic and .... ( in department name) > year 1 (obv) > Press current week > Hit the next arrow till you reach the start of term. That would make more sense. PS the timetable looks exactly the same as last years! Interesting.
1) As far as i know, Caltech is the hardest to get into. Only 1 student is allowed in the exchange programme from all of UCL. This makes it even harder...but still possible. I believe in the departmental website they've got a profile of a guy who made it.

2) They wont check but will most certainly help. The 1st assignment (graded one) would be on partial fractions. If you think they were easy, wait till you hit the last few q's of this assignment. I suggest you contact the department and talk to Lucy Martin. She will be more than happy to email them.

3) Polina Bayvel - Electronic circuits.Mark my words :biggrin::biggrin:

4)https://cmis.adcom.ucl.ac.uk:4443/timetabling/homePage.do

Click on department >electronic and .... ( in department name) > year 1 (obv) > Press current week > Hit the next arrow till you reach the start of term. That would make more sense. PS the timetable looks exactly the same as last years! Interesting.

Thanks for the info/help.

Is there a reason why UCL teaches Java and not C/C++ ? Aren't most OS's programmed in C and C++?

I looked for the profile of the Caltech guy.. couldn't find it...

Whats the deal with Polina Bayvel? Are you doing th BEng or MEng?
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for the info/help.

Is there a reason why UCL teaches Java and not C/C++ ? Aren't most OS's programmed in C and C++?

I looked for the profile of the Caltech guy.. couldn't find it...

Whats the deal with Polina Bayvel? Are you doing th BEng or MEng?

Near the end of the second term, you will learn some basic C. In the exam you are expected to be able to answer questions in either languages. TO be honest once you learn java, C is just a piece of cake.

Come on man, your starting uni and should be able to do some basic research yourself.

http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentprofiles# and click on Alex Stewart.

Polinaa......where do i start hahaha! Basically its like this. The stuff itself it not hard but she moves quick. Since your going from school you would expect everything to be spoon fed to u but it wont! Especially in electronic circuits. So I would recommend you to get that book that she recommends (the authors name ends with a ski something like nashelski). There is a downloadable pdf version of it availabe online (shhhhh). The thing with her subject is that she expects u to readup stuff before and after the lecture. If you dont then trust your gonna be bafffffled.

I'm on MEng but it doesnt matter coz if you dont get atleast a 2:1 or a 1st in ur 2nd year then they automatically move u into the BEng. Also the first two years are common to all regardless of what you choose.

PS dont forget to bring in money for the Cumberland lodge trip.
Near the end of the second term, you will learn some basic C. In the exam you are expected to be able to answer questions in either languages. TO be honest once you learn java, C is just a piece of cake.

Come on man, your starting uni and should be able to do some basic research yourself.

http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentprofiles# and click on Alex Stewart.

Polinaa......where do i start hahaha! Basically its like this. The stuff itself it not hard but she moves quick. Since your going from school you would expect everything to be spoon fed to u but it wont! Especially in electronic circuits. So I would recommend you to get that book that she recommends (the authors name ends with a ski something like nashelski). There is a downloadable pdf version of it availabe online (shhhhh). The thing with her subject is that she expects u to readup stuff before and after the lecture. If you dont then trust your gonna be bafffffled.

I'm on MEng but it doesnt matter coz if you dont get atleast a 2:1 or a 1st in ur 2nd year then they automatically move u into the BEng. Also the first two years are common to all regardless of what you choose.

PS dont forget to bring in money for the Cumberland lodge trip.

LOL I just got the preparatory questions for Electronic Engineers booklet in the post. There's a lot of questions to do lol. This is kind of shocking tbh.

OP I
After looking through this booklet I think you should read up on F. Maths cause there's stuff about complex numbers in here and other things that aren't covered in c1-c4
It's some seriously hard ****. I think you wuld die without Fmaths
Original post by Computerised

LOl, yeah..these questiosn aren't easy,a nd there's soooo many of them. Are you a 2011 EEE Fresher?
LOl, yeah..these questiosn aren't easy,a nd there's soooo many of them. Are you a 2011 EEE Fresher?

No 2nd year chem student. Got EEE friends. I seen the maths they do. It's ahead of the maths we do.
Original post by Computerised

Hmmm die is a bit harsh. Stuggle might be quite the word.

Second term maths is waaay beyond FM. However the concepts of integration remain the same (duh!)

Second term maths is waaay beyond FM. However the concepts of integration remain the same (duh!)

I'm looking at this reading list that I was sent. Are we supposed to read all of these books or are we supposed to use these for reference?
I'm looking at this reading list that I was sent. Are we supposed to read all of these books or are we supposed to use these for reference?

I dont know any1 who ever did (apart from 1 guy who topped the year with 87%). However as i said read the book that is recommended for electronic circuits. It wont make any sense now but do so when the lectures start.
Reply 16
Hi, I am starting EEE this year at UCL.
Will I need to use a specific calculator (I think it is called "Casio fx 83ES") or just any scientific calculator (the one I use for A level F.maths) will do?

im still a bit worried with the latest comments about further maths but is it possible for me to get a 1st in first year without having done fpmaths and also do the other 7 courses involve material frm further maths?
Reply 18
im still a bit worried with the latest comments about further maths but is it possible for me to get a 1st in first year without having done fpmaths and also do the other 7 courses involve material frm further maths?

I have just received the "Preparatory Problems for 1st Years" booklet. If you find it OK, it should be alright for you.

would all of these books be available in the library or should some books be bought?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending