The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
Original post by muddybike
Mine has not been recognised either. However, I can access the email account so I assume the weekend affects the 24 hour promise.

Yea well I guess we have no choice but to wait..
I finally got my Registration email! I feel like a true student now! :biggrin: :dance:
Reply 3542
Mine has not been recognised either. However, I can access the email account so I assume the weekend affects the 24 hour promise.

Yay, it's recognised me now!
Although it's pretty pointless, there's nothing really relevant for me :bebored:
So I have my .ox.ac.uk e-mail address, have left my job, started buying things and have had e-mails from my college parents.

Christ, this is actually real now, isn't it!?
Reply 3544
Original post by The Anti-Hero
So I have my .ox.ac.uk e-mail address, have left my job, started buying things and have had e-mails from my college parents.

Christ, this is actually real now, isn't it!?

Indeed!

The casual posts we make these days compare rather favourably with the worrying and fretting just before Results' Day!
I lurk this thread too much.
Hey guys.

I've just made a finances spreadsheet because I'm rubbish at keeping track of things and I thought I'd share it with anyone who hasn't created or can't be bothered to create one.

Hopefully it will be of some benefit :smile:

Just put in your sources of income and then use your studentfinance letter to get the info of how much money you get a term from each source and then the spreadsheet will calculate total finances and finances available for a particular term. Then as you fill in your day to day expenses it should help give you an idea of how much money is left for alcohol/other important stuff.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/64526506/Oxford-Finances?secret_password=2jck3pag6j1hdk5kwzf4

Enjoy :smile:
Reply 3547
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Hey guys.

I've just made a finances spreadsheet because I'm rubbish at keeping track of things and I thought I'd share it with anyone who hasn't created or can't be bothered to create one.

Hopefully it will be of some benefit :smile:

Just put in your sources of income and then use your studentfinance letter to get the info of how much money you get a term from each source and then the spreadsheet will calculate total finances and finances available for a particular term. Then as you fill in your day to day expenses it should help give you an idea of how much money is left for alcohol/other important stuff.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/64526506/Oxford-Finances?secret_password=2jck3pag6j1hdk5kwzf4

Enjoy :smile:

Wow, that looks brilliant. Thanks for putting all the effort into that then sharing it, :smile: It's too early in the morning for me to attempt to understand it, but it looks wonderful and will definitely be investigated later!!

Thanks again.
On the subject of finances, does anyone know how the bursaries work?
Reply 3549

As far as I can tell the Opportunity Bursary is calculated from the information you give Student Finance, and at some point they let you know if you're entitled to anything. Obviously read the website for reliable information.

Send in your household income to Student Finance - your parents fill in some sponsor forms - then they will send it to Oxford, and if you're eligible for the Opportunity Bursary, Oxford will give it to you. It's all done automatically, I think.

Annoyed. My parents still haven't done their household income forms, so I'm just getting the bare minimum from SLC so far.
Reply 3551
Letters for the OOB will be sent out on Friday. You can look on the correspondence part of your student finance account to see it online after it's been posted.
Reply 3552
Can't decide if I'm being stupid or not but have we received letter about how much accommodation and that sort of stuff is? I'm in Trinity btw. Also, what other payments like that are there? Like any other payments on our battels that arn't stuff like food?
Reply 3553
Original post by Rosa100
Can't decide if I'm being stupid or not but have we received letter about how much accommodation and that sort of stuff is? I'm in Trinity btw. Also, what other payments like that are there? Like any other payments on our battels that arn't stuff like food?

That sort of information will probably be somewhere in your college contract, I'd have thought. For Merton you can put some JCR-related payments on your battels, not sure about anything else.
Original post by Rosa100

I don't think we get info about accommodation until we get there...or at least I haven't heard of anyone else at Trinity getting accommodation info unless they're internationals.

Also, Battels I think can be used for various things like fines, or bursaries which 'credit' a certain amount according to your battels. I guess all will become clear in october =S Even reading the finance guide I'm not exactly sure how it works...
(edited 12 years ago)
How quickly do we have to settle up our battels the following term? They seem like a stealthy nightmare, if you're not careful.

Oh, and do we have to pay our rent the following term, too?
Here's a random question from an international student...for sub fusc and formal events, do I need a tuxedo? All I have is a regular black suit for formal events. I guess the white bowtie for sub fusc doesn't really go with a regular suit, does it?
Battels are amazing. It's like free money... well until the start of next term!

At my college we have until the start of 2nd week to pay our battels. Probably varies by college.

I think different colleges use the battel system differently - at mine we can battel bop tickets, JCR meal tickets, other JCR functions, guest tickets for formals, Pimms at the boathouse... JCR levies are battelled... As well as exciting things like rent, utilities and so on.

Rent is divided between the 3 terms. But we only had to pay a one off charge for utilities.

It's like a pro if you can battel a ticket for an event, more people will attend!
Original post by abraxas108
Here's a random question from an international student...for sub fusc and formal events, do I need a tuxedo? All I have is a regular black suit for formal events. I guess the white bowtie for sub fusc doesn't really go with a regular suit, does it?

you just wear a dark suit for sub fusc - not a dinner suit (tuxedo).

It shouldn't be a dinner jacket and dress shirt.

As for formal events - a dinner suit would be a good addition to your wardrobe if you plan on attending any black tie functions.
Reply 3559
Original post by abraxas108

As Poppyxx said, for subfusc the suit is just a regular (dark) business suit. I'm getting the impression there are easily enough black tie events to justify buying a dinner suit if you want one (M&S do them fairly cheaply, and charity shops often have decent second-hand formalwear).

On the topic of formalwear, as a general service announcement to the world, please don't wear a white bow tie with a regular dinner suit. It looks horrendous. White ties are for white tie, which is a whole level of formality above that.

And to the people who are already students; I remember seeing a shop that with a sign advertising dinner jackets for some ridiculous low price (they also had dresses in the window, I think), near a bridge. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending