The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
OK gotta hand in my application soon, last minute question

Those of you who have just gotten jobs for your gap year, are you putting it down under the employment section of your UCAS form? do you have to put it down?

bumping this question
Original post by twelve
I hadn't even thought of this! Any previous reapplicants got an answer?

bumping this question

I have since it's employment
I've put both of them from my start date to present. for the HCA one since i should be starting it around now I said sept to present.
Original post by joemullally
I've put both of them from my start date to present. for the HCA one since i should be starting it around now I said sept to present.

does it matter if you dont put it down? ie if you have employment on your statement but not on your ucas officially

Can you then leave it off your statement then to save space? Or would they rather be able to read what you got out of it as well?

ARGHHHH!!
does it matter if you dont put it down? ie if you have employment on your statement but not on your ucas officially

I don't know but if it's official employment then I think it's better not to omit it from your form, it only benfits you, even if you're a binman you're doing something, showing you know how the world works, shows maturity and social awereness you need to work to get money, shows that you can get a job in this climate which in turn is commitment to medicine (it's like a look I got a job and it's not half bad but I still wanna do med). I guess, I'd include anything personally, even a paper round shows responsibility.

Unless, you're a hitman, I wouldn't include that unless it's taught you some anatomy.

Original post by Limesasquatch
Can you then leave it off your statement then to save space? Or would they rather be able to read what you got out of it as well?

ARGHHHH!!

If you've got a relevant job it's better than any work experience IMO because you actually do stuff.
On work ex there's a lot of standing about, if you're working, well, they don't pay you to turn up and smile, they pay you to work and smile too.
I'd include it and maybee omit things like medlink / preperation courses.
Plus there's no chance that you get nothing from a job. You WILL learn something in any job.
I've learnt how many people actually need these tests every day from my MLA job.
In my area there aren't many people, and I've had the tests that I deal with like once or twice in my life (urine test for UTI)

we get a minnimum of 250 urines a day just for microbiology tests in a really sparsly populated area.
It's amazing how many sick people there are and I was a bit shocked when I started.

I've learnt a lot about microbiology and other things too (I've even been given a book to read on molecular biology by a BMS from Histo which is dead interesting)
But the reliance on services like the NHS by people every day is something that I think is extremely valuable. It really shows that every level of the NHS makes a massive difference in peoples lives, from cleaners , HCA's, kitchen staff, Lab assistants etc all the way through to the top.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by superdude10
So I'm basically a re-applicant too, and I'm lost...to those who have a job eg HCA how did you get it, because I've applied to so many and keep getting turned down!

Also in the personal statement do you actually write your gap year plans, like "I plan to do this" etc?

:smile:

I'd reccomend writing your plans.

Also just keep applying, it's a tough job market out there, persevere and something will come.
Haha is that facebook group link a special group just for peeps on TSR that are re-applicants? Not sure if I want to reveal my identity to anyone on here though *cue evil laugh* mhahaha.
I don't know but if it's official employment then I think it's better not to omit it from your form, it only benfits you, even if you're a binman you're doing something, showing you know how the world works, shows maturity and social awereness you need to work to get money, shows that you can get a job in this climate which in turn is commitment to medicine (it's like a look I got a job and it's not half bad but I still wanna do med). I guess, I'd include anything personally, even a paper round shows responsibility.

Unless, you're a hitman, I wouldn't include that unless it's taught you some anatomy.

If you've got a relevant job it's better than any work experience IMO because you actually do stuff.
On work ex there's a lot of standing about, if you're working, well, they don't pay you to turn up and smile, they pay you to work and smile too.
I'd include it and maybee omit things like medlink / preperation courses.
Plus there's no chance that you get nothing from a job. You WILL learn something in any job.
I've learnt how many people actually need these tests every day from my MLA job.
In my area there aren't many people, and I've had the tests that I deal with like once or twice in my life (urine test for UTI)

we get a minnimum of 250 urines a day just for microbiology tests in a really sparsly populated area.
It's amazing how many sick people there are and I was a bit shocked when I started.

I've learnt a lot about microbiology and other things too (I've even been given a book to read on molecular biology by a BMS from Histo which is dead interesting)
But the reliance on services like the NHS by people every day is something that I think is extremely valuable. It really shows that every level of the NHS makes a massive difference in peoples lives, from cleaners , HCA's, kitchen staff, Lab assistants etc all the way through to the top.

Yeah, I shall write about my job, I think it might give them opportunity to ask me Qs in an interview. My Gap year plans are tard-a-liscious.
Yeah, I shall write about my job, I think it might give them opportunity to ask me Qs in an interview. My Gap year plans are tard-a-liscious.

haha yeah

actually i was wondering, how long are all your gap year sections? compared to my work experience and extra curricular sections its really short. i basically just mentioned 3 things -

-further work experience
-part time job
-volunteering abroad/travelling

i cant think of what else to put down, im hoping they dont reject me on the basis of being a lazy **** during my gap year. are you writing a lot more than that or is it enough ?
haha yeah

actually i was wondering, how long are all your gap year sections? compared to my work experience and extra curricular sections its really short. i basically just mentioned 3 things -

-further work experience
-part time job

i cant think of what else to put down, im hoping they dont reject me on the basis of being a lazy **** during my gap year. are you writing a lot more than that or is it enough ?

that sounds like plenty to me (but then again im not an admissions tutor :redface: )

i havent started mine yet (oops) but im kiiiiinda worried about the extra curriculars seeing as basically all of mine were clubs/societies/committees from school and obv can't do them anymore waah
Reply 3530
Am I the only one that keeps getting massive lectures from my parents about what I need to do this year?
haha yeah

-further work experience
-part time job

That seems alright :smile:

I haven't actually cut mine down yet - still nearly 5000 characters - but mines about 3 sentences (~400 characters)

I've basically said I've got a full time (that's a lie, I'm a supply that works a full day) and I'm continuing it through the gap year & for moni :colone: I want to travel a lot to make me better (or something like that, gosh mine is ****) and I am volunteering abroad. I hope they ask me lots about my holiday, err, volunteering sorry. But throughout my statement, I sort of mentioned things that I obviously intend to carry on, such as music and sport and SJA.

Is there a gap year for medics thread anywhere? I might make one if there ain't :P

I haven't actually cut mine down yet - still nearly 5000 characters - but mines about 3 sentences (~400 characters)

Is there a gap year for medics thread anywhere? I might make one if there ain't :P
How many characters is it meant to be again :/
My gap year bit is literally two lines. heh.
how m
Original post by Eragon.
Am I the only one that keeps getting massive lectures from my parents about what I need to do this year?

Nah mine are just like
done your personal statement? hows your personal statement? personal statement? when was the last time you did your personal statement?
or
don't worry it'll be you going to uni next year it'll fly by yadda yadda forget about your friends yadda yadda
Original post by atomos
that sounds like plenty to me (but then again im not an admissions tutor :redface: )

i havent started mine yet (oops) but im kiiiiinda worried about the extra curriculars seeing as basically all of mine were clubs/societies/committees from school and obv can't do them anymore waah

Ditto. ive fallen into the "exam time trap" of sitting down at my desk with the stuff i need to do for said ucas or exams and SOMEHOW realising two hours later ive done **** all and microsoft word hasnt even been clicked on never mind my Personal statement been edited.
:facepalm:

2/4 of my favourite friends are now at uni. Once the fourth and final friend has also left me then MY GAP YAH SHALL COMMENCE :u:
Original post by baztech
Haha is that facebook group link a special group just for peeps on TSR that are re-applicants? Not sure if I want to reveal my identity to anyone on here though *cue evil laugh* mhahaha.

OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU'RE SECRETLY A 47 YEAR OLD TURKISH MAN ?!
:eyeball:

Aye, I've left mine vague about what i've learnt about medical science from my lab job. I've basically said, I learnt some more about medical science .
This is because I learn quite a lot from work and i've got more to learn, however I don't know my rota so I could be on the enterics bench or in serology or still on urines by the time my interview comes around, If I get an interview that is.
So i'll talk about whatever I've learnt about recently that I found interesting, that way I can read up on it and stuff too :biggrin:.

I've basically said I've got a full time (that's a lie, I'm a supply that works a full day) and I'm continuing it through the gap year & for moni :colone: I want to travel a lot to make me better (or something like that, gosh mine is ****) and I am volunteering abroad. I hope they ask me lots about my holiday, err, volunteering sorry. But throughout my statement, I sort of mentioned things that I obviously intend to carry on, such as music and sport and SJA.

I wouldn't lie if I were you tbh, you could even say you work full time hours without lying, you're working full time hours but that doesn't mean that the contract's full time? I don't know.

Original post by laurenl93
How many characters is it meant to be again :/

2/4 of my favourite friends are now at uni. Once the fourth and final friend has also left me then MY GAP YAH SHALL COMMENCE :u:

4000 char with spaces.
It'l be slightly less on UCAS though because each formatting character (e.g. a paragraph) counts as a character but it doesn't in word.

And WHOO GAP YAH .:P
Aye, I've left mine vague about what i've learnt about medical science from my lab job. I've basically said, I learnt some more about medical science .
This is because I learn quite a lot from work and i've got more to learn, however I don't know my rota so I could be on the enterics bench or in serology or still on urines by the time my interview comes around, If I get an interview that is.
So i'll talk about whatever I've learnt about recently that I found interesting, that way I can read up on it and stuff too :biggrin:.

I wouldn't lie if I were you tbh, you could even say you work full time hours without lying, you're working full time hours but that doesn't mean that the contract's full time? I don't know.

4000 char with spaces.
It'l be slightly less on UCAS though because each formatting character (e.g. a paragraph) counts as a character but it doesn't in word.

I see you checked out my fb profile lmao :awesome:

Worried this gap yah is gna turn me into an alcoholic though, just sittin' here chillin' with a glass of wine after i drank a bottle with my boyfriend yesterday and was utterly pissed friday night too. Severe memory loss in med school come at iz

:frown:
Original post by laurenl93
I see you checked out my fb profile lmao :awesome:

Worried this gap yah is gna turn me into an alcoholic though, just sittin' here chillin' with a glass of wine after i drank a bottle with my boyfriend yesterday and was utterly pissed friday night too. Severe memory loss in med school come at iz

:frown:

Yeah after friday nights pictures, I went out again last night.

But I don't know, I'm actually enjoying myself and it's keeping me distracted from this whole gap year thing. which is good I suppose?
i have to hand in my final ucas form to my school this tuesday. im so rushed, you guys are lucky haha

4000 char with spaces.
It'l be slightly less on UCAS though because each formatting character (e.g. a paragraph) counts as a character but it doesn't in word

I shall change a bit then, your probs right but it's not a proper lie...

Last year I found if you press enter then backspace or something and it made a new line with out adding a character. I can't remember how I did it, and it at least said to me that it was under 4000 characters, maybe the admissions had like 3 letters missing from the end lol
I shall change a bit then, your probs right but it's not a proper lie...

Last year I found if you press enter then backspace or something and it made a new line with out adding a character. I can't remember how I did it, and it at least said to me that it was under 4000 characters, maybe the admissions had like 3 letters missing from the end lol

I found I always left characters at the end of lines, like I pressed .[space]
I had to go back through my whole form deleting them from the end of paragraphs with every draft.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending