The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I never even realised the Times contained a Uni Guide today :O Must... find!
Original post by such_a_lady
Really? That's the only thing making me LIKE Edinburgh! I want to study Russian, dammit!! :smile: I can do that at St A's, Durham and Edinburgh :biggrin:

Ah, I see. I was sooo close to doing A level Russian :biggrin: it looks like such an interesting language!
does anyone know what is considered a 'good' score on the HAT?
Original post by Albertine
I'm starting to freak out about the LNAT. :frown:

I did my LNAT last week! Oddly the word counter was missing in my essay section and I had to be given an 'incident number' and report so the universities will know it wasn't entirely my fault if I was hugely over/under the word reccommendation. Gahhh!

But even despite that, the actual test was absolutely fine, so there's no need to freak out :smile:. In fact I think I quite enjoyed it! When are you sitting it? Good luck!

P.S. I'm applying for Law at Hertford, any one else on here thinking of Hertford for Law?
Reply 5444
Original post by medbh4805
:smug:

the face? lol
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
does anyone know what is considered a 'good' score on the HAT?

From the 2004 HAT report...

Candidates receiving test-scores of 46% or less were recommended to tutors for deselection
(this was roughly the bottom 20% of candidates 275 out of 1406 who took
the test). Tutors were invited to exercise some discretion in cases where rejection
would seem a positive unfairness, and 241 candidates were deselected (17% of the whole).

The lowest 25% of students in the HAT do not get an interview, or are recommmended not to. So just make sure you are in the top 75%...put it this way, nobody gets 95-100% in the HAT it's not like the PAT, MAT or any other scientific exam and is very subjective, the highest marks I've seen someone get is around 80, and the exam is out of 100. Anything above 60/70 is therefore considered a "good" score, but technically as long as you get over about 50 then you should get an interview :smile:

Perhaps in a week or two when people start thinking about it a bit more we should start a "Oxford 2011 HAT thread" like the candidates had last year...

What preparation have you done?
Reply 5446
Original post by qwertyuiop1993

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I'm not sure why people seem to think of Trinity as a really famous college - perhaps it's because of its more illustrious counterpart at the other place.... Trinity, Oxford is actually a small college (by number of people - very spacious though!) and not particularly renowned for academia (if you're looking at the norrington table it averages a middling position). What it is good for is food and lawns :wink:

Also, no matter where you apply, the likelihood of getting an offer from the university as a whole is pretty level - choosing a scarily popular one will only reduce the chance of getting an offer from your first choice - if you're good enough for the university, they will do their best to find a space - so don't be put off applying to your dream college because of statistics.

At the interview they were very helpful - they let me choose which book I'd mentioned in my ps to analyse and asked some piercing questions such as, &quot;Does it work as theater, or is it just badly disguised philosophy?&quot; (regarding Sartre's plays)

They did prompt me - I wasn't expected to attack the texts with no starting point, they would ask me to talk about the narrator/the theme of the text and then the discussion would grow from there - it's actually a very enjoyable experience once your nerves die down :smile:

Also, regarding your question on the other thread - yes, I'd say current affairs are quite important because you could always link ideas from texts to relevant current affairs and also when speaking in French they are more likely to go for an A level type discussion rather than a piercing deconstruction of Baudelaire :wink:

Cool thank you! I've looked at the Trinity website now and it does look amazing.. I'll check it out properly at the open day this week :smile:

Thank for your help about the interviews too, it's cleared it up quite a lot for me!
Original post by Niki_girl
...put it this way, nobody gets 95-100% in the HAT it's not like the PAT, MAT or any other scientific exam and is very subjective, the highest marks I've seen someone get is around 80, and the exam is out of 100. Anything above 60/70 is therefore considered a "good" score, but technically as long as you get over about 50 then you should get an interview
Just wanted to say, for anyone doing the MAT (and I expect the PAT) that nobody gets 90-100% in the MAT either. The whole point of these aptitude tests is to differentiate between candidates, there would be no point if everyone got 90% or even 70%.
Original post by malvika111
Tell me about it. :sadnod: When's your test?

15th of October, I've not even started preparing yet and it's looking really, really difficult and I'm so scared of flunking the essay. :frown:
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Once I'd chosen which college to apply to a few months ago, I can't explain it, but I feel almost a loyalty to it, although I'm still in the application process of course :smile: I haven't seen many other Hertford applicants around... :mog:.

I'm a potential Hertford applicant! Probably haven't seen me around because I joined this thread aaages ago and managed to neglect it :frown:

I bumped into a really lovely student at Hertford on the open day, and just got such a positive feeling from the place that I chose it. The only thing stopping me from fully committing to the decision is that you can only live in college for your first year - I was kind of hoping that it would be for two years, or at the end of my degree... Don't get me wrong, if I got an offer from Oxford I'd live in a wheelie bin if necessary, but the arrangement at Magdalen (my original choice) seems much nicer.

I haven't seen the accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years - do you have any idea what it's like? :smile: If anyone else has any insight on this pleaaase let me know!
Original post by fluteflute
Just wanted to say, for anyone doing the MAT (and I expect the PAT) that nobody gets 90-100% in the MAT either. The whole point of these aptitude tests is to differentiate between candidates, there would be no point if everyone got 90% or even 70%.

Dammit, "Please rate some other members before rating this member again". Exactly what I was about to say.
Reply 5452
Original post by NickMitt
Maybe someone can give an advance for E&M? I have some desires about the college

* Not very prestigious and not the oldest in Oxford
* Kinda sporty, including all needed facilities
* I want it rather big than small
* Tasty food
* Comfortable accommodation
* "Lots of nationalities college"
* Gorgeous architecture and beautiful places
* Friendly )

I have done a research and shorten list to 10. Although didn't manage to make it any further.

Wadham
St John's
Brasenose
Pembroke
Balliol
Keble
St Anne's
St Hugh's
LMH
St Edmund Hall

Thanks a lot for any help! Will be waiting.
Note: I have read the info on oxbridgecolleges.com and on TSR wiki.

Worcester College has lovely accommodation, massive grounds, all its sports facilities on site and I thought it was really beautiful when I visited there :smile:
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
I'm a potential Hertford applicant! Probably haven't seen me around because I joined this thread aaages ago and managed to neglect it :frown:

I bumped into a really lovely student at Hertford on the open day, and just got such a positive feeling from the place that I chose it. The only thing stopping me from fully committing to the decision is that you can only live in college for your first year - I was kind of hoping that it would be for two years, or at the end of my degree... Don't get me wrong, if I got an offer from Oxford I'd live in a wheelie bin if necessary, but the arrangement at Magdalen (my original choice) seems much nicer.

I haven't seen the accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years - do you have any idea what it's like? :smile: If anyone else has any insight on this pleaaase let me know!

:wavey: Hi!
According to the website, they can provide accommodation for the entirety of an Undergraduate's course... :smile:
So you're applying for Magdalen then?
Remember when we had irrelevant stuff on this thread?

:rolleyes:

BUT I REALLY NEED TO FINISH MY PS. :frown:
I feel guilty because after visiting Edinburgh I'm actually slightly going off Oxford... hmmmmm
Original post by Banoffeepie16
:wavey: Hi!
According to the website, they can provide accommodation for the entirety of an Undergraduate's course... :smile:
So you're applying for Magdalen then?

Hi back! (I may have already said hello, but whatever. I'm one of those people who get stuck in awkward hello battles)

That's actually really good to hear - and no, I'm still set on Hertford, just had a minor niggle about not being in college the whole time. But I think ChCh is the only place big enough to do that anyway :rolleyes:

Call me a total idiot, but are most tutorials held in the college? Also, apologies if I've missed this, but what subject are you applying for? :smile:
Original post by Brand New Eyes

Any other Ox English applicants here? Going to go and speak to Head o English tomorrow about booking the ELAT, preparation [ie her marking my past paper :P] for it etc, have most people done their personal statements yet? I'm still drafting mine :frown:
Original post by doloroushazy
I feel guilty because after visiting Edinburgh I'm actually slightly going off Oxford... hmmmmm

Haha exactly the same with me! I love them equally, and naturally if I got an offer from both I'd choose Oxford, but Edinburgh is definitely my next choice. I don't even like thinking of it as a second choice really. :redface:
Original post by Expendable
Any other Ox English applicants here? Going to go and speak to Head o English tomorrow about booking the ELAT, preparation [ie her marking my past paper :P] for it etc, have most people done their personal statements yet? I'm still drafting mine :frown:

Ox English applicant here. :smile: Just got our Head of Examinations to book me in for the ELAT - haven't even looked at the past paper yet... :rolleyes:

My PS is literally fragments of sentences and paragraphs - it has a long way to go. :colondollar:

Also, have you got any idea about what you're going to send in as an example essay? Not sure whether I should submit AS coursework or an essay written for A2 (which we haven't properly started yet... :s-smilie:)

Latest

Trending

Trending