The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. In all honesty, I felt really let down by the social aspect of BL this year. I was told it would be an awesome, close knit community. What I found was a clique of ~50 people, rubbish events and a lackluster opening schedule.

I had way more fun at Essex university when I went down there. Sigh, I hate talking about stuff like this though, just stirs up thoughts that I should have gone to Leicester over and over again despite it being asinine and irrelevent as they've already told me outright they don't accept transfer or applications from students currently studying.

I can see where you are coming from in that this year was quieter than last year in terms of union events, but I got WAYYY more involved with uni this year (as did a bunch of my friends here) and although the union side of things was quieter, we all enjoyed the Jan-April bit of the year more so than the same period last year because we did both fashion/dance shows this year, got involved in RAG related shizzle and I did a bit of drama this year etc. Honestly, if the union is quiet, just join a soc and do something with them! Doing so managed to save our year socially for us!

The grass is always greener on the other side. My school mates at ICSM and GKT in particular look like they have way more fun than we do when their pictures crop up on my Facebook homepage but I suspect it's the same old things done in all three places; a standard union night would involve decent music, alcohol and someone taking photos to post up on Facebook to fuel posts like this! :p: One of my best buddies at Norwich Medical School thinks we have crazy fun here compared to him (which can be true at points :p:) and whenever he's back home he's always on about how quiet his term has been, but if truth be told, I quite like going up to see him in Norwich because it's actually quite fun! Anyone can make their uni sound fantastic socially; my friends make Cambridge sound like rave-town with all their College balls and May Week shizzle and stuff I have no idea about! :p: Maybe, Helenia can confirm if there is any truth to this... :ninja:

Also, a bit of an aside - I don't think we should blame our former president for a quieter year in terms of union events - apparently there are some more complicated and underlying issues I have no idea about, so wouldn't bother going into detail about. Besides, in my fresher year which I did enjoy, she was the ENTS officer so clearly she's alright with the events side of things.
Original post by crazylemon
IC think we are arrogant because so many of us are. The number of times I have hear, 'you are the first medic I have ever liked' and it was amazing to my flatmate's friends that he was living with that elusive creature known as the medical student. By and large the problem is more that fact we treat them like ****s rather than the other way around.

Why would you want to play for the worse rugby team?
Oh and I get some teasing for dance but I am hardly a pariah (though that might be because dance is different and tbh also hated by the union although the other medics in dance have ****ed that up too before).

If you want to go to IC events do. I used to do medics sports night then head over to SK till dbs closed. You can do it. WE as the medics have to make the first move. It is done by more and more of us integrating and ignoring the separatist bull**** that some sections of the medical school live off.

Some QM guys I know think we are all arrogant at BL too (particularly the dentists). :s-smilie: Our pride in our autonomy and tradition probably does come across as a little arrogant to them I suppose.

I have been to the QM bar, Drapers a few times (which is a rarity with a BL medic/dentist) and tbh it's not that bad. In fact, I quite liked it! My only problem is I don't know anyone (bar old school friends and some from the QM Christian union) when I do go there partly because we don't spend much time on the Mile End campus!
IC think we are arrogant because so many of us are. The number of times I have hear, 'you are the first medic I have ever liked' and it was amazing to my flatmate's friends that he was living with that elusive creature known as the medical student. By and large the problem is more that fact we treat them like ****s rather than the other way around.

Why would you want to play for the worse rugby team?
Oh and I get some teasing for dance but I am hardly a pariah (though that might be because dance is different and tbh also hated by the union although the other medics in dance have ****ed that up too before).

If you want to go to IC events do. I used to do medics sports night then head over to SK till dbs closed. You can do it. WE as the medics have to make the first move. It is done by more and more of us integrating and ignoring the separatist bull**** that some sections of the medical school live off.

Say, if you clicked more with one team than the other during fresher trials, or disliked the brown nosing politics of the medics' setup. Not a personal example mind, just the only informed one I could give.

I liked the last para. Gotta change perception of the medics, one scientist/engineer at a time :moon:

On a different note, I'm not one for league tables, but I'm sure College is. Maybe they'll start listening to all the disaffected engineers we seem to churn out :erm: (exam feedback this year was appreciated, as unused as it was :tongue: )
When I met one of my best mates at uni last year, he asked what course I did, I told him and he said, no word of a lie, "oh, I thought all medics were tossers."

We are a campus uni where everybody lives in halls together in first year, yet medics still manage to erect this elitist and ********-ist clique within 3 weeks.
I think the 'arrogant medic' branding occurs in most places :sigh:
Our medical school is so segregated that you could probably go your entire uni career without bumping into another undergrad. Except for biomeds, perhaps.
That reminds me of my IPL (inter-professional learning) sessions, where we do work with AHP and pharmacy students. All the medics warned me beforehand that the IPL people would hate me, so I made a point of not being arrogant/too dominant (not that I am anyway!) and actually I got on really well with them all.

And at the end of our sessions I mentioned how I was expecting them to hate me, and some of them said "Well we were expecting you to be really arrogant and horrible....."

But then they said "I guess it's helped us to see that yes there are arrogant medics, but there are arrogant people in every job, and you shouldn't let those people stereotype the whole career" :love: I felt proud that I'd done my bit to break the stereotype :wink:
We you not even halls with them or was that also separate? That how I knew a few people the through socs. But we have time on the SK campus in first 2 years.

As for grass is greener - I think there is that to an extent but remember that as you are so involved in the union you are probably part of the clique that roller ball was talking about to an extent.
Our pres was best in first year I feel but that could be fresher bias.

Oh to have more balls like Cambridge :daydreaming:

I was never in halls. I live in N.London anyway so it's not much of a trek (yet). The opportunity is there to integrate with non-medics if you live in Mile End (as opposed to Whitechapel or Barbican).

I don't consider myself part of the union clique. Hmmm. I don't think many people associate me that much with the union in terms of events either - I pick and choose which ones I want to go to just like a normal student. I could be wrong. That said, I am involved with uni related things (which surely can't be a bad thing), but thats separate to the union events clique Rollerball was on about (atleast from what I have gathered so far).

Our fresher president was actually really good! I think by the end of the year, most of our fresher year quite liked him, and missed having him around this year.
I never planned on being a cliquey medic, but in the end it was just too easy to slip into. Now I live with 4 other medics, play for a medic sports team and work with a medic run (though not exclusively medic. We have one pharmacist and last year there was an English student!) charity. Rock soc is going to be my only escape to normal life.
Reply 5529
FFS. got to be at a hospital on completely the other side of the hospital at 9am during FRESHERS WEEK.
Reply 5530
I love having a social life completely away from medicine. None of my flatmates are medics, none of our group of friends are medics. That being said I have a wide circle of medic friends too & I'd be lost without them. Most people seem to have slotted naturally into being friends with pretty much exclusively medics and whilst I can see how that can happen I made a conscious effort to always put the effort in with the people I was in Halls with and a deliberate choice to live with them rather than medics. Medicine can get really overwhelming with all the medic chat & it's good that I don't have to listen about this weeks ****ing PBL over breakfast :p: Can become problematic when choosing which nights out to go on, or having to go out more because medics are all going out on Monday but all my other friends are out on Tuesday but overall, it's great!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
FFS. got to be at a hospital on completely the other side of the hospital at 9am during FRESHERS WEEK.

Hospitals within hospitals? :tongue:
Reply 5532
:confused:

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Hospitals within hospitals? :tongue:

:facepalm:

Hospital on the completely other side of the city.. will take me 2 hours to get there.
Original post by lekky
:facepalm:

Hospital on the completely other side of the city.. will take me 2 hours to get there.

The solution is to not got to bed.
Reply 5534
The problem with BL though is it's basically a medical school and that's it. We're still very seperated from QM, so when our med society sucks, it's essentially the entire social side. There were a few good events.

I mean, they organised the dental beer race (which is supposidly the biggest and best event of the year, everyone I spoke to said it was the highlight of their freshers) the weekend AFTER everyone had to be out of halls. I mean, seriously? They essentially excluded every freshers from the biggest night of the year because none of us are going to travel back to london and find accomodation for one event.

It should get better this year though, from what I've gathered we had the WORST student president of BLSA in a long time. She was SO useless it was incredible.

I guess what I don't understand is why you need a society to organise nights for you & why that should determine the social side of stuff?

And are you strictly not allowed to go to QM stuff or is that a personal choice? Bridge the divide :wink:
Original post by lekky
I guess what I don't understand is why you need a society to organise nights for you & why that should determine the social side of stuff?

And are you strictly not allowed to go to QM stuff or is that a personal choice? Bridge the divide :wink:

Last year nobody I was friends with went there, apart from one night or so. We're alowed to go but it was a bit of a treck from Dawson.
Last year nobody I was friends with went there, apart from one night or so. We're alowed to go but it was a bit of a treck from Dawson.

So there's nothing stopping QMUL-ers from going to BL events?
Ah, yeah f you don't live in halls then no chance.

I just meant you actually do union stuff arn't you doing RAG comittee? That was just my impression

Third year I'd have been on the committee (I snuck myself on in first year)... :teeth:

I am involved in some socs, yes, but I think my personality is more so the guy who wants to do everything social anywhere as opposed to being so "I wont talk to you if you join a QM team". I'm a member of both the QM Christian Union and the BL Christian Fellowship. Oh and when the Asian society here do their shows, they incorporate so many non medics from QM. I would go so much to say that its a 65:35 split in favour of QM students/non medics from other London unis. I'm not Asian (and i'm not suggesting you have to be Asian to be part of it), but I still got involved and liked it, and got to meet loads on non-medics! I will be doing it again this year! Thats just my personality - do as much as is physically possible socially first with anyone that would have me, and then medicine as and when I can! :p: I do love the BL autonomy and history and tradition and I am proud to be a Bartan, but it doesn't really affect who I talk to or hang out with.

Oh and QM don't even publicise their RAG week so we don't do any RAG related stuff with them (though if we did, we would seriously wipe the floor with the other London med schools in terms of RAG totals). :smug:

:p:
Original post by Medicine Man

Oh and QM don't even publicise their RAG week so we don't do any RAG related stuff with them (though if we did, we would seriously wipe the floor with the other London med schools in terms of RAG totals). :smug:

:p:

What was your total last year?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
What was your total last year?

I'm scared to answer this because I know we pale in complexion to nationwide unis (and I know how well Nottingham did this year as half my sixth form practically study up there and keep raving on about your RAG), but bear in mind we are a student body of only about 1900 undergrads (according to our GMC report), so our total of just under £220,000 was quite impressive we thought. I think RUMS got something like £13,000 and Georges were threatened by the British Transport Police which meant their RAG week was cut short. :frown: ICSM were surprisingly better than I thought though. But still nothing on us... :colone:

Go on, how well did you guys do? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending