The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

What date are people planning to arrive? Do you know what date you get into your accommodation? Anyone for Churchill?
Reply 3041
Original post by lizzymcfizzy
What date are people planning to arrive? Do you know what date you get into your accommodation? Anyone for Churchill?

Hey, I'm for Churchill too :smile: I'm arriving on the 27th September because all the mathmo's (and engineers I think) have a pre-freshers catch up course starting on the 28th. I think if you haven't heard about a course yet then you are supposed to turn up on the 1st October :smile:

What are you studying?
NatSci. Have you had a freshers pack of some sort?
Reply 3043
Original post by dbou
I'm arriving on the 27th September because all the mathmo's (and engineers I think) have a pre-freshers catch up course starting on the 28th. I think if you haven't heard about a course yet then you are supposed to turn up on the 1st October :smile:

Is this for mathmos at all colleges?
I've been told that arrival day is October 2nd *shrugs*.
Reply 3045
Original post by Cast.Iron

I'm pretty sure it varies, both by college and subject.
Original post by Mc^3
I'm pretty sure it varies, both by college and subject.

This. I'm also a lawyer, but I'm at Pembroke and I move in the day before on 1 October. :smile:
Original post by Cast.Iron

Catz rules 'cos we get to choose between 1st and 2nd.

:smug:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Catz rules 'cos we get to choose between 1st and 2nd.

:smug:

30th/1st.

Le sit down.
Reply 3049
Original post by Give
Is this for mathmos at all colleges?

Nope, I think Churchill is one of the only colleges doing it this year for maths :smile:
Since rooms in Catz don't have insurance, would you say that it's worth getting insurance? It's just that I've kinda ended up buying insurance from Endsleigh before even getting to Cam and I'm wondering if I should cancel it... :blush:

A lot of students get it. I didn't. It's really up to you. Catz is fairly central so might be useful to have in case your stuff gets nicked. Probably better to have some form of insurance, especially if you are in the centre: stuff does get stolen. I know of at least 3 laptop thefts in Christ's...
Original post by Gooner231
30th/1st.

Le sit down.

:emo:

Original post by gethsemane342
A lot of students get it. I didn't. It's really up to you. Catz is fairly central so might be useful to have in case your stuff gets nicked. Probably better to have some form of insurance, especially if you are in the centre: stuff does get stolen. I know of at least 3 laptop thefts in Christ's...

Ah, I reckon that I may keep my insurance then.

Thanks for the input!
I'm moving in on the 24th.
What're people doing while they wait?
Original post by no chance
What're people doing while they wait?

I'm a bit restless so I'm clawing my own eyes out, all the normal stuff..

I'm going to New Forest tomorrow till thursday, aside from that plenty of meeting school friends for the last few times and getting to know some people who will be new friends. I have to do some cell biology to catch up to the other medics because I didn't take biology in 6th form, so that takes up some of my time.
Reply 3055
does anyone know what the schedule is like for a medic at cambridge....ive heard that we have lectures on a saturday : (
Original post by shuyg
does anyone know what the schedule is like for a medic at cambridge....ive heard that we have lectures on a saturday : (

I'm not sure. From this, it sounds like you don't! :h:
Hmmm...looking at student accounts and wondering if it's worth getting one. I'll have enough money to not need to use my overdraft and the only reason I'll get a student account is for the free railcard...
Hmmm...looking at student accounts and wondering if it's worth getting one. I'll have enough money to not need to use my overdraft and the only reason I'll get a student account is for the free railcard...

You can only get a free railcard now if you're an existing customer of NatWest. If you are then they automatically change your account into a student one anyway (well they did with me).
Original post by CordeliaDesdamona
You can only get a free railcard now if you're an existing customer of NatWest. If you are then they automatically change your account into a student one anyway (well they did with me).

Yup, I'm an existing Natwest customer. No, my account hasn't automatically been changed.

Hmm...I may have to open a savings account that pays interest in addition to a student account. :beard:

Quick Reply