The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's a great thing. Well done on being a spokesman for the Church :hugs:

Thanks. It was quite funny though because I couldn't remember the exact Bible verses so I had to run back to my room and check them all, note them down, and then write a little explanation for them. The interesting thing is though is that this girl, like me, is new to religion which means, to my mind, she's probably more opened minded. She's my new target to convert :colone:

What was quite funny though was that this debate took place at the Freshers Fayre, meaning it happened in a big tent, full of noise with people walking around us :teehee:
Original post by adamrules247
Thanks. It was quite funny though because I couldn't remember the exact Bible verses so I had to run back to my room and check them all, note them down, and then write a little explanation for them. The interesting thing is though is that this girl, like me, is new to religion which means, to my mind, she's probably more opened minded. She's my new target to convert :colone:

What was quite funny though was that this debate took place at the Freshers Fayre, meaning it happened in a big tent, full of noise with people walking around us :teehee:

That's very dedicated of you. I'm impressed! :yep:
That's very dedicated of you. I'm impressed! :yep:

:colondollar: Oh not really. I just feel that if I know the best restaurant in town I should tell people about it :yep:
Reply 3063
I love adoration :h:

And I'm keeping you in mine :smile: Prayers said for all of you :biggrin:

Plus get this, my university Catholic soceity signed at least, and probably a lot more, 20 members up. Also got into a debate with a girl in the CU about confession, she said at the end she was "impressed with my knowledge of scripture", it was quite embarrassing, being praised like that :colondollar:

I echo TLG is her sentiments expressed to you. Keep up the good work of sharing your faith with others in a setting that is not always accepting of religious faith. Oh, I've just had a memory flash into my mind of what a teacher said to us when we were leaving secondary education. I'll paraphrase, but it went all the lines of "When you're out in that big, hedonistic world remember to tell those who try to encourage you into an occasion of sin - 'I like fun, but I don't like filth'" I sure I don't need to remind a chaste young man like yourself - as my teacher felt we girls needed reminding of. :biggrin:

You seem to be settling down in your new environment...when does the teaching and learning start?

Thanks for your prayers, dear brother-in-Christ, and know that they are reciprocated for your intentions.
Original post by yawn
I echo TLG is her sentiments expressed to you. Keep up the good work of sharing your faith with others in a setting that is not always accepting of religious faith. Oh, I've just had a memory flash into my mind of what a teacher said to us when we were leaving secondary education. I'll paraphrase, but it went all the lines of "When you're out in that big, hedonistic world remember to tell those who try to encourage you into an occasion of sin - 'I like fun, but I don't like filth'" I sure I don't need to remind a chaste young man like yourself - as my teacher felt we girls needed reminding of. :biggrin:

You seem to be settling down in your new environment...when does the teaching and learning start?

Thanks for your prayers, dear brother-in-Christ, and know that they are reciprocated for your intentions.

Haha, that's a damn good piece of advice! There needs to be a few more teachers like that in the world.

Yep, seem to be settling down alright. Amusingly I got into a debate with a charity as well which asked if I wanted to join and we got talking about the charities "family planning" policies which I called something along the line of a cultural imperialism in the third world :biggrin: I bet she thought I was a right loon :ahee:
Went to Mass today. The New Order has been implemented but half the congregation are still saying the same old things. I have to admit that sometimes I just automatically said what I'm used to saying instead of what was in the booklet in front of me :o: It felt quite isolating, not knowing the words and having to read everything :frown:

On the plus side I liked the fact that the Mass was about forgiveness. In the homily, a visiting trainee priest talked about the unconditional love and forgiveness of a mother. I really needed to hear that, so I'm happy :smile:
Went to Mass today. The New Order has been implemented but half the congregation are still saying the same old things. I have to admit that sometimes I just automatically said what I'm used to saying instead of what was in the booklet in front of me :o: It felt quite isolating, not knowing the words and having to read everything :frown:

On the plus side I liked the fact that the Mass was about forgiveness. In the homily, a visiting trainee priest talked about the unconditional love and forgiveness of a mother. I really needed to hear that, so I'm happy :smile:

That's excellent news :h: What did you think of the new translation? And don't worry, most people will still be reading it, this is only the second week of use :smile:

We had a good preacher too. Unfortunately the priest is only a temp having been flown in from Rome for the next few weeks. He normally works at the Pontifical Scots College (probs meaning he'll be a Bishop in the next few years). He really would make an ace bishop though :yep: You're right though, the readings were excellent today, I'm glad they touched you :smile:
That's excellent news :h: What did you think of the new translation? And don't worry, most people will still be reading it, this is only the second week of use :smile:

We had a good preacher too. Unfortunately the priest is only a temp having been flown in from Rome for the next few weeks. He normally works at the Pontifical Scots College (probs meaning he'll be a Bishop in the next few years). He really would make an ace bishop though :yep: You're right though, the readings were excellent today, I'm glad they touched you :smile:

I don't mind the new translation. I just despair about how long it will take me to learn it and learn to say it automatically :s-smilie: As was noted a few pages back, it's more similar to the Anglican service, so there were good Oxford memories there from when I was worshipping in my college chapel :smile:
I don't mind the new translation. I just despair about how long it will take me to learn it and learn to say it automatically :s-smilie: As was noted a few pages back, it's more similar to the Anglican service, so there were good Oxford memories there from when I was worshipping in my college chapel :smile:

Well that is good then. I'm sure you'll do find learning it :h:
Wow! Just had an email from Dundee's Catholic Society. The email, which was sent to all people who had signed up, was sent to 42 people! Potentially lots of new members :woo:
Wow! Just had an email from Dundee's Catholic Society. The email, which was sent to all people who had signed up, was sent to 42 people! Potentially lots of new members :woo:

:woo: We like this :yep:
:woo: We like this :yep:

Haha! I'm really looking forward to the meetings. Who knows, perhaps I could develop I social life :ahee:
Haha! I'm really looking forward to the meetings. Who knows, perhaps I could develop I social life :ahee:

It's sounding very promising. I'm so happy for you. I didn't feel able to join the Catholic community at uni so I'm glad that you are not having the same doubts and problems.

Who knows: at this rate you should be able to get some rosary/Bible study going. And if there's a demand for Adoration from others too, then maybe you could speak to the chaplain once one is properly instated at Dundee :yep:

How goes all the other Freshers' events? :smile:
It's sounding very promising. I'm so happy for you. I didn't feel able to join the Catholic community at uni so I'm glad that you are not having the same doubts and problems.

Who knows: at this rate you should be able to get some rosary/Bible study going. And if there's a demand for Adoration from others too, then maybe you could speak to the chaplain once one is properly instated at Dundee :yep:

Well I'll know a bit more once I've met them all. I've only met three members so far. I'd love to do adoration. At the moment the Cathedral only has adoration once a month for a few hours. This is obviously a disgrace and when the Cathedral gets a new Dean I'll petition him to have it at least weekly. The New Evangelisation must be built around Eucharistic adoration. It reminds us of the power of Christ and our own eniquities but how Christ can heal all. The parishes they've done it in so far has shown it to be very sucessful.

How goes all the other Freshers' events? :smile:

I didn't really do any other events :colondollar:

Well tell a lie I did the Freshers Fayre but most of the societies I looked at have their meetings on the same night as Cath Soc so I won't be able to attend :frown:
Well I'll know a bit more once I've met them all. I've only met three members so far. I'd love to do adoration. At the moment the Cathedral only has adoration once a month for a few hours. This is obviously a disgrace and when the Cathedral gets a new Dean I'll petition him to have it at least weekly. The New Evangelisation must be built around Eucharistic adoration. It reminds us of the power of Christ and our own eniquities but how Christ can heal all. The parishes they've done it in so far has shown it to be very sucessful.

I didn't really do any other events :colondollar:

Well tell a lie I did the Freshers Fayre but most of the societies I looked at have their meetings on the same night as Cath Soc so I won't be able to attend :frown:

Spend the next month or two getting to know people and sussing out what they would like from their chaplaincy. I can see you being a good Cath Soc rep/committee person :yep:

That's a shame other things clash :frown: Would you be up for doing alternate weeks? :dontknow:
Has anyone read books by Peter Kreeft? I've just bought two of his books off Amazon :yep:
Spend the next month or two getting to know people and sussing out what they would like from their chaplaincy. I can see you being a good Cath Soc rep/committee person :yep:

:colondollar: Oh I don't know about that. Maybe I would, we'll have to see how it goes. Just been talking (over facebook) with an American Catholic girl who was asking about Daily Mass. She seemed nice.

That's a shame other things clash :frown: Would you be up for doing alternate weeks?
:dontknow:

I wouldn't want to miss any CathSoc and they all seem to hold their meetings on the same day as that.

Has anyone read books by Peter Kreeft? I've just bought two of his books off Amazon :yep:

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard of him :colondollar:

Quickly goes off to google :horse:

On a side note how do you know all the good smilies?
My google result found a youtube video of him doing a debate at the university I would have killed to gone to :cry2:
My google result found a youtube video of him doing a debate at the university I would have killed to gone to :cry2:

:hugs: Don't worry! I'm sure your time will come to fully immerse yourself in the Catholic world, whether that's as a student, teacher or a priest :smile:

I'd never heard of him either. I lurk around the Catholic Answers Forum and there was a thread about guardian angels which linked to his website. My nurse said I should treat myself a bit so I decided to buy some books :awesome:

I'd never heard of him either. I lurk around the Catholic Answers Forum and there was a thread about guardian angels which linked to his website. My nurse said I should treat myself a bit so I decided to buy some books :awesome:

Catholic Answers is great :woo: I use them quite often :yep: My reading on him has found someone who I'd think I'd like. I must buy some of his books :ninja:

What did you buy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending