The Student Room Group

Why do Americans think the 9/11 victims are heroes?

Put aside the emergency workers who were killed trying to save lives, who are the others who died labelled as brave?

Since when did being killed equal bravery?

Is it just the Americans being Americans and throwing the word "hero" around?

Scroll to see replies

They can call them what they want, innocent people dying.
Mostly (apart from people who saved lives through their actions) they dont think of them as heroes but rather they feel sorrow their horrible fate and the impending doom some felt as they stood on the top floors trapped knowing the towers would collapse
Although some normal people (non-emergency) weren't panicking but helping other people rather than running out of the building, so they did the best they could to save people? :biggrin:

I don't honestly know but i thought what i said was alright x

EDIT: what did i say wrong? i wasn't being mean or anything.. unlike some. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Maybe because they were innocent and didn't deserve to die?
I agree but who cares?
Americans, as well as generally being pretty good people, think all kinds of strange things. I wouldn't sweat it :wink:
Original post by Le_Bow

Is it just the Americans being Americans and throwing the word "hero" around?

Probably this. It's similar to their obsession with "Angels". Sickly I know but there you go.
As others have said, there were a number of people who helped out and saved lives. And some simply comforted strangers as they died. I honestly think that most victims of 9/11 are brave, and are heroes... they were innocent victims, and they were killed. Their families cling onto their memories and it's important they are remembered and honoured. Few people on that day left dying people or selfishly ran away from what was happening. I'd like to think that I'd be brave enough to do the same.
Reply 9
Never heard anyone call them heroes
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Innocent people brutally murdered on 9/11 by terrorists - just about 3,000.

Innocent people (overwhelmingly women and children) brutally murdered by the United States in August 1945 - 246,000

Just throwing that out there............................
Original post by frankieboy

Original post by frankieboy
Probably this. It's similar to their obsession with "Angels". Sickly I know but there you go.

It's not much better here, EDL Angels always makes me chuckle.
I've never heard it either. I hope people aren't. Throwing words like that around really lowers their impact so people who are genuine heroes don't get as much recognition.

It's like people who say they were 'devastated' when for e.g. their holiday got cancelled. No you're not devastated. If for e.g. your whole family had been recently killed then you would be devastated.
Original post by john8765

Innocent people (overwhelmingly women and children) brutally murdered by the United States in August 1945 - 246,000

Ok everyone these days know it's wrong now. I hate when people just stick some figures out and suggest that some terrible act is justified.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by john8765

Just throwing that out there............................

So that makes it ok?
Reply 15
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Probably because the "innocent people" were in war zones.

And that makes it alright?...
Reply 16
Original post by Aj12
NEver heard anyone call them heroes

x2
Reply 17
Original post by Aj12
So that makes it ok?

No - just saying that you shouldn't allow yourself to be drawn to the idea that America is the angel in the "war on terror"..........that is all. I cetainly don't support the idea of killing Americans.
Reply 18
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Probably because the "innocent people" were in war zones.

Is that some sort of excuse? The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were almost indiscriminately chosen to die by America.
Original post by JongKey
And that makes it alright?...

I've changed my post because I didn't read the date. It's not right but what do you think, it's inevitable that innocent people are going to get killed in war zones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending