The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Prime number theorem is pretty cool, shows how primes are infinite and stuff like that. Riemann Zeta function is meant to be legendary, the cornerstone for thousands of theorems. I'd give an arm and an eye to be able to prove that. Be among the greatest ever. :colone:

Haha good luck with that! I'm looking on prime number theorem now... hmm...
Original post by ben-smith
meh, I'd rather unify quantum mechanics with general relativity using string theory or twistor theory.

Wow Twistor theory?! :O What's that?
Original post by anyone_can_fly
We did some basic stuff in school (Euclid's algorithm, etc), and I've looked at some stuff like the Chinese Remainder Theorem a wee bit.

Whoever was asking about the Riemann Zeta function, it's a function requiring four dimensions to plot (complex numbers on each axis), and all prime numbers up to some massive amount lie on a particular line. Proving that all prime numbers do this is one of the Millennium Problems (you win £1,000,000 if you solve it), and would be an incredible development in mathematics. You can read The Music of the Primes to find out about it in a hand-waving sort of way - that's how I know a little about it. :smile:

I see. Thanks for the clarification! I've heard of Riemann Zeta function with two axis of complex numbers (each with a real axis and imaginary axis), with all the prime numbers forming a straight line along the axis. I've heard about the prize too, and heard that quantum physicists seem to have the answer, since it seems to be identical to specific quantum system whose energy levels correspond exactly to the zeros. It somehow related to chaos theory too.

Riemann Zeta function seems to be related to prime number theorem too LOL!
Original post by Nicholasng925
I see. Thanks for the clarification! I've heard of Riemann Zeta function with two axis of complex numbers (each with a real axis and imaginary axis), with all the prime numbers forming a straight line along the axis. I've heard about the prize too, and heard that quantum physicists seem to have the answer, since it seems to be identical to specific quantum system whose energy levels correspond exactly to the zeros. It somehow related to chaos theory too.

Riemann Zeta function seems to be related to prime number theorem too LOL!

Wow, so those different branches interlink? That's pretty cool! I never knew quantum physics had a relation to prime numbers.
Wow, so those different branches interlink? That's pretty cool! I never knew quantum physics had a relation to prime numbers.

Check out this link man! :colone:
Someone earlier on this thread said that if you apply to UCL with a UMS average above 94% you are guaranteed an offer.

Well I emailed an admissions tutor, and was told that they look at all parts of an application (obviously) and the average UMS for this years offer-holders were between 94 and 95.
He also said, they over-recruited this year so adjustments will be made for our year of entry.

So the question wasn't fully answered, but that's some useful info nonetheless :smile:
Original post by anil10100
Someone earlier on this thread said that if you apply to UCL with a UMS average above 94% you are guaranteed an offer.

Well I emailed an admissions tutor, and was told that they look at all parts of an application (obviously) and the average UMS for this years offer-holders were between 94 and 95.
He also said, they over-recruited this year so adjustments will be made for our year of entry.

So the question wasn't fully answered, but that's some useful info nonetheless :smile:

Is that in maths/further maths or all a-levels or what? Maths alone would be best for me :ahee: but I should be okay grades-wise no matter I think. :smile:

Haha immature mathematical boob humour at it's finest. +1

Ouch, that would be me. Sorry dude, my bad! :p:
Original post by hassi94
Is that in maths/further maths or all a-levels or what? Maths alone would be best for me :ahee: but I should be okay grades-wise no matter I think. :smile:

I'm pretty sure it's over all maths modules, in which case - likewise :smile:

Edit: I quote "Mathematics in year 12"
(edited 12 years ago)
Ouch, that would be me. Sorry dude, my bad! :p:

Oh haha, where did you get it from?
Oh haha, where did you get it from?

Admissions LOL. I probably used the word garuntee out of context, but they did say 94% average UMS in maths and that it has a 'very strong bearing in the application'. I'm pretty sure it was over Maths AND Further Maths though, because UMS for my Maths AS alone is 92, so I should think I would have had a shot if that wasn't the case.
I'm pretty sure it's over all maths modules, in which case - likewise :smile:

Edit: I quote "Mathematics in year 12"

Ah thanks that's cool then :biggrin: Hopefully that should be a likely offer. They say that they SOMETIMES interview? Does that mean if you're really impressive on paper they'll just give you an offer straight away.
Original post by hassi94
Ah thanks that's cool then :biggrin: Hopefully that should be a likely offer. They say that they SOMETIMES interview? Does that mean if you're really impressive on paper they'll just give you an offer straight away.

I'm pretty sure that's if you're really strong, but one part of your application lets you down, then they interview you around that just to check why. :smile:
I'm pretty sure that's if you're really strong, but one part of your application lets you down, then they interview you around that just to check why. :smile:

I think mine's very good on paper, given they like my statement :tongue: We'll see I guess :smile:
Original post by hassi94
I think mine's very good on paper, given they like my statement :tongue: We'll see I guess :smile:

What's your PS like? I know most people go for a 'Shakespearean' tone, but I tried to keep mine as simple as I could.
What's your PS like? I know most people go for a 'Shakespearean' tone, but I tried to keep mine as simple as I could.

Don't know how to describe it really - I've got a few got related ECs, 1 or 2 good unrelated ones. Think I portray my passion really well - I've kept it very simple for the most part, though I think I've got a really standout intro.
Original post by hassi94

Yeah hopefully the same with me, although I really need to get on with writing that PS..
Ive gone for the 'I'm not well rounded, I want to study maths' tactic where I have lots of maths extra curricular and details about things but NO other things. I got rid of all the things I wrote about drama etc because they arnt relevent and I needed space lol.

Latest