The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Original post by ugk4life
what would you say that is down to?

GCSEs, AS grades and your predictions.
Original post by ugk4life
hi guys,

do you think i have a chance to get on the economic history course at lse.

i have 2a* and 8a at gcse. at AS i have A - history, B - economics and Cs in maths and politics. i am dropping politics this year and am predicted AAB (b in maths).

also, i do not really have any relevant work experience which i can mention on my personal statement - will this hinder me in my applications?

thanks for all the help guys.

You do not need work experience for economics. It's not as important as it is for medicine :smile:
The personal statement

Are any of you guys struggling to stay within the word limit? Are you leaving line between your paragraphs?

Things are getting real now haha
Reply 2743
Original post by Mousebudden
The personal statement

Are any of you guys struggling to stay within the word limit? Are you leaving line between your paragraphs?

The line count was more of an issue for me, and yes I did leave line spaces.
Original post by paperstars123
LSE looks at many A* and their offers usually include an A* in Maths too. Also, lots of applicants would have taken Further Maths as a 4th A level subject. So... given your predicted grades and GCSE, it's quite tough getting in.

No. Not all.

He's going for Economic History which is nothing near as quantitative as straight Econ hence the AAB entry requirements and there isnt a specific requirement for maths, let alone Further Maths, if I'm correct
Reply 2745

Indeed I am, now that I've overcome my writer's block I've gone and finished me PS and now need to get people to look at it.
Reply 2746
The personal statement

Mine was the line count as well rather than the 4000 limit, but mines competely finished now
Original post by -Illmatic-

No. Not all.

He's going for Economic History which is nothing near as quantitative as straight Econ hence the AAB entry requirements and there isnt a specific requirement for maths, let alone Further Maths, if I'm correct

It may not be as quantitative as straight Economics, but it is very mathematical nonetheless. I think they'd be looking for at least an 'A' predicted in Mathematics.

Also it is hugely competitive. Many applicants will be predicted much higher. It will be difficult.
Original post by StarChamber
It may not be as quantitative as straight Economics, but it is very mathematical nonetheless. I think they'd be looking for at least an 'A' predicted in Mathematics.

Also it is hugely competitive. Many applicants will be predicted much higher. It will be difficult.

Fair enough. Wouldn't it be very difficult to gear your PS to both Econ History and straight Econ...i guess it could be doable, though

Am I right in saying, the quality of applicants, though all on par (roughly) with each other, would be lower than the straight Econ course purely cos of the grade requirements?

Fair enough. Wouldn't it be very difficult to gear your PS to both Econ History and straight Econ...i guess it could be doable, though

Am I right in saying, the quality of applicants, though all on par (roughly) with each other, would be lower than the straight Econ course purely cos of the grade requirements?

It is definitely doable, but difficult to do it convincingly.

E+H gets fewer candidates and a wider spectrum (as you said due to grades) but I'd expect they would be relatively strong. I think pure Economics would be more saturated however. Difficult to get into either course IMO.
Original post by StarChamber
It is definitely doable, but difficult to do it convincingly.

E+H gets fewer candidates and a wider spectrum (as you said due to grades) but I'd expect they would be relatively strong. I think pure Economics would be more saturated however. Difficult to get into either course IMO.

Yeah thats seems about right.
So hows everyone doing? Starting A2 Economics was wicked for me. Its actually interesting for once :zomg:

When are the non-Obxridge applicants planning to send off their app? When would be the best time to send off your if you are a non-Oxb applicant?
Reply 2752
So hows everyone doing? Starting A2 Economics was wicked for me. Its actually interesting for once :zomg:

When are the non-Obxridge applicants planning to send off their app? When would be the best time to send off your if you are a non-Oxb applicant?

Just before half term...my sixth form gives us a week (year 12 go off on a giant res-ed - lucky them, I still have the bruise from last year :rolleyes:) to do the application, as we're off timetable. They do one-to-ones, meetings for different types of courses, etc...
Reply 2753

I don't see how it's any different yet... Time will tell :tongue:

I'd just send it off ASAP after the Oxbridge deadline.
Just deciding on which universitites to apply for now, hope to have it all decided by Friday, help appreciated!

GCSE: 6 A*s, 3 As, 1 B, 1 C.
* Maths A, English Lang A*

AS: Economics A, History A, Biology C, Maths D

No predictions A2 as of yet..

Firstly, is there any point in resitting Biology Unit 2 (I only need a mid-C in the exam to get a B overall but bombed it this summer, hence the C) Basically, might be a stupid question, will Uni's even see my improved mark if I plan on sending away my application in like October?

Secondly, how much of a problem is the Maths going to be? I'm hoping to resit it all up to a B standard, but in terms of that being my AS Grade, what difference will it make?

Thinking of applying to Durham, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester/Liverpool, Sheffield? Thoughts? Should I throw an ABB uni in they're, even though the few I have found seem to be a bit ****?
Anyone going to the IEA conference at Oxford tomorrow?
Is anyone going to apply to SOAS?
Reply 2757
Original post by RogueTrombonist
Just deciding on which universitites to apply for now, hope to have it all decided by Friday, help appreciated!

GCSE: 6 A*s, 3 As, 1 B, 1 C.
* Maths A, English Lang A*

AS: Economics A, History A, Biology C, Maths D

No predictions A2 as of yet..

Firstly, is there any point in resitting Biology Unit 2 (I only need a mid-C in the exam to get a B overall but bombed it this summer, hence the C) Basically, might be a stupid question, will Uni's even see my improved mark if I plan on sending away my application in like October?

Secondly, how much of a problem is the Maths going to be? I'm hoping to resit it all up to a B standard, but in terms of that being my AS Grade, what difference will it make?

Thinking of applying to Durham, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester/Liverpool, Sheffield? Thoughts? Should I throw an ABB uni in they're, even though the few I have found seem to be a bit ****?

Look pretty reasonable - Durham is A*AA but I suppose there is no harm in one aspirational university..
Original post by Tateco
Look pretty reasonable - Durham is A*AA but I suppose there is no harm in one aspirational university..

Yeah I know, the A*A bit of that shouldn't be a problem, I'm likely to be predicted either 1 or 2 A*s at A2, it's just getting the maths grade up..
Reply 2759
Original post by RogueTrombonist
Yeah I know, the A*A bit of that shouldn't be a problem, I'm likely to be predicted either 1 or 2 A*s at A2, it's just getting the maths grade up..

D to an A won't be easy, it gets harder at A2.

Latest

Trending

Trending