The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
D to an A won't be easy, it gets harder at A2.

I'm aware it'll get harder, and I'm more aiming to get a D to a B, which is why 3 of my choices are AAB
How do universities know the grades that we've achieved at AS and our predictions?

If I enter my A-Levels as pending and my Unit Grades for AS how are they supposed to know what I got overall?

EDIT: Sorry for being so off topic?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2762
Original post by 94george94
How do universities know the grades that we've achieved at AS and our predictions?

If I enter my A-Levels as pending and my Unit Grades for AS how are they supposed to know what I got overall?

EDIT: Sorry for being so off topic?

I was wondering this too, my teacher has told me to only enter the A2 thing and just enter the AS for what I'm dropping, but then others have said that if we're certificating then you have to write both down, I really don't know but if you find out tell me please :tongue:

And also your predictions get entered by your UCAS referee :smile:
Original post by Tateco
I was wondering this too, my teacher has told me to only enter the A2 thing and just enter the AS for what I'm dropping, but then others have said that if we're certificating then you have to write both down, I really don't know but if you find out tell me please :tongue:

LOL I seriously have no idea what is going on when it comes to declaring grades.

It looks like I'm applying with 4 A-Levels pending, and no AS grades because I'm not dropping anything? :angry: How do you know that yours have been cashed in by the way?
Reply 2764
Original post by Tateco

I asked about this today coincidently, and got told to enter everything I did at AS Level as an AS, as they won't know the grades otherwise. Also in addition to this, to include A2s (GCE or whatever) for the ones you're taking to A2.

But if you've already got an A Level -an actual grade, then to leave the AS and A2 in that as one.

I'm not sure how right the woman was though, she seemed to be preoccupied with something else... :bebored:
Original post by zaina94
I asked about this today coincidently, and got told to enter everything I did at AS Level as an AS, as they won't know the grades otherwise. Also in addition to this, to include A2s (GCE or whatever) for the ones you're taking to A2.

But if you've already got an A Level -an actual grade, then to leave the AS and A2 in that as one.

I'm not sure how right the woman was though, she seemed to be preoccupied with something else... :bebored:

See that, to me, is more logical than whatever the system actually is. I just don't want to have the disaster of applying and universities not being able to see what I got at AS.

UCAS makes me want to rampage. :gunfire:
Reply 2766
See that, to me, is more logical than whatever the system actually is. I just don't want to have the disaster of applying and universities not being able to see what I got at AS.

UCAS makes me want to rampage. :gunfire:

I'll just stick to doing what they told me, sounds right. Your school would get your application back to you if there were mistakes though, right?

UCAS should definately be more clear with their instructions... :s
Original post by zaina94
I'll just stick to doing what they told me, sounds right. Your school would get your application back to you if there were mistakes though, right?

UCAS should definately be more clear with their instructions... :s

I don't think it gets sent back, if you lie on your application you just get rejections. And putting the wrong information regarding AS Levs and A-Levs constitutes lying, even if what you thought was right was actually wrong.
Reply 2768
I don't think it gets sent back, if you lie on your application you just get rejections. And putting the wrong information regarding AS Levs and A-Levs constitutes lying, even if what you thought was right was actually wrong.

I meant your school (well mine) check your application for mistakes after the internal deadline, but before they send it off, and get it back to you to correct mistakes/wrong info (if any). Not sure if everyone else's schools do this, but all the internal deadlines at my school are in sept/oct, so they have time to.

But yeah obviously after it actually gets sent, you won't get to change it.
Hello there :smile:
I was wondering whether anyone could help me with making my choices. For my AS's I got a B in Maths, Business and Economics (my school does not do straight economics for some reason) and General Studies. And then a C in History and English Literature. I have now dropped General Studies and English Lit. To be honest I know my grades are pretty poor but I probably put in the absolute minimum effort for all my subjects. The results were a wake up call and I will be resitting one of the maths modules which I got a D in, I got an A in the other two and one of the Business and Economics modules I got a B in, the other I got an A. This should hopefully leave me with two A's at AS. I am predicted. AAB and would really like to study in London as I just love the citys vibe and atmosphere also it is close, but not too close, to home. For my GCSE'S I got 2 A*'s 7 A's a B and a C. I was just wondering where you think I should apply and any the likelihood of me getting in.

Thanks for any help
Harry.
Original post by Purdisrise
Hello there :smile:
I was wondering whether anyone could help me with making my choices. For my AS's I got a B in Maths, Business and Economics (my school does not do straight economics for some reason) and General Studies. And then a C in History and English Literature. I have now dropped General Studies and English Lit. To be honest I know my grades are pretty poor but I probably put in the absolute minimum effort for all my subjects. The results were a wake up call and I will be resitting one of the maths modules which I got a D in, I got an A in the other two and one of the Business and Economics modules I got a B in, the other I got an A. This should hopefully leave me with two A's at AS. I am predicted. AAB and would really like to study in London as I just love the citys vibe and atmosphere also it is close, but not too close, to home. For my GCSE'S I got 2 A*'s 7 A's a B and a C. I was just wondering where you think I should apply and any the likelihood of me getting in.

Thanks for any help
Harry.

Your subjects/AS grades arent the best so that does sort of rule out UCL/LSE. That leaves a selection of decent schools including: Queen Mary, City, SOAS, RHUL, Brunel ect those are the ones you want to be targeting.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 2771
Hey, this year I'll hopefully be applying to:

Lancaster, Loughborough, Sussex and East Anglia (+ trying to find another one, any recommendations?)

I've got at A2: History A and politics B.
and AS: Economics B and Psychology B.

Hopefully I'll be getting Eco and Psy up to an A in A2, so I'll hopefully get AAAB.

Do you think this leaves me with a good chance in getting offers?
Reply 2772
Original post by LukeWz
Hey, this year I'll hopefully be applying to:

Lancaster, Loughborough, Sussex and East Anglia (+ trying to find another one, any recommendations?)

I've got at A2: History A and politics B.
and AS: Economics B and Psychology B.

Hopefully I'll be getting Eco and Psy up to an A in A2, so I'll hopefully get AAAB.

Do you think this leaves me with a good chance in getting offers?

I think you have a good chance at those universities :smile:
hey, which university is better, Bristol or Durham? I've not really heard much about Bristol except that their courses are very mathematical
for economics
Reply 2775
Original post by miscellaneous123
hey, which university is better, Bristol or Durham? I've not really heard much about Bristol except that their courses are very mathematical

Both equally as good :smile:
Reply 2776
Anyone here know if you should/could apply for both the UCL Economics course AND Economics with a year abroad?

As in, if you apply for the year abroad and get rejected, you could still be considered for straight econ?
Why is Durham considered a top uni when it only offers a BA not BSc, same with Oxbridge? Thought BSc was the more respected of the two?
Reply 2778
Original post by Trizzle
Anyone here know if you should/could apply for both the UCL Economics course AND Economics with a year abroad?

As in, if you apply for the year abroad and get rejected, you could still be considered for straight econ?

I've heard that if you apply to the same university twice for similar courses even if you are good enough for the 'better' one, they will give you an offer for the less competitive one as you have indicated you would be happy to go on that course so why should they use up one of their precious spaces on one of their most competitive courses.

Original post by RogueTrombonist
Why is Durham considered a top uni when it only offers a BA not BSc, same with Oxbridge? Thought BSc was the more respected of the two?

For Oxbridge it's tradition. Durham can be just as quantitative as others, it just depends on the modules, it might have marginally less compulsory mathematical modules but not a significant amount.
Reply 2779
Original post by zxh800

"zxh800 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space." :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending