The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Chain
I loved the manga. But I have to admit that I've never finished the anime.

I've never read any manga myself. purely anime. I also love Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy was also quite good. I've seen so many. anyone a fan of these?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 461
Original post by Ryuzaki21
I've never read any manga myself. purely anime. I also love Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy was also quite good. I've seen so many. anyone a fan of these?

I love Shinichirō Watanabe's work.
Cowboy Bebop is imho one of the best animes ever.
Reply 462
Original post by Ryuzaki21
Haha, a fellow 21 year old eh? I look forward to meeting you all. btw my name is Callum. Any Death Note fans out there? I'm sure we would get along quite well

Original post by Chain
I loved the manga. But I have to admit that I've never finished the anime.

Epic manga, never finished the anime and a weird live action movie (well...set of three). The guy who played L was HOT!!! <3_<3

Death Note was a really good manga to read. Did anyone read the alternate ending? I think the real ending they choose was more apt....more....poignant and unique. Also, Misa was freaky! I felt a little bad for her by the end....but not much as she killed bulter-san :'(

EDIT!!

I thought some people might find these handy. They show the stroke order too (looking at the screen was hurting me eyes too much tonight).

Katakana- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Table_katakana.svg/768px-Table_katakana.svg.png
Hiragana- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c-mr7wjQnac/TSHPelxeZaI/AAAAAAAAAL8/p0C_BoCxdV8/s1600/Capture.JPG

I printed them off and off and used tracing paper over :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 463
Annyong!

I'm going up on Friday. I need to shimmy over to SEAS on Saturday in order to get me changed to single honours japanese before the welcome meeting.

Can't seem to find any flatmates though :/

When is everyone else moving in?

As for Death Note, I think it was going strongly until that death. I really liked the battle between Light and L. Wasn't the same without it.
I like Ohba and Obata's latest manga too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 464
Original post by Susant
Annyong!

I'm going up on Friday. I need to shimmy over to SEAS on Saturday in order to get me changed to single honours japanese before the welcome meeting.

Can't seem to find any flatmates though :/

When is everyone else moving in?

As for Death Note, I think it was going strongly until that death. I really liked the battle between Light and L. Wasn't the same without it.
I like Ohba and Obata's latest manga too.

Truly the best part was the battle of wits between L and Light Yagami. The logic and deductions were truly awe inspiring. Like how L figured out that Kira was a local citizen by only broadcasting in that area whilst telling everyone it was a worldwide broadcast. That episode was what got me hooked haha. After the death it was still good but it wasn't the same
Reply 465
Original post by Chain
I love Shinichirō Watanabe's work.
Cowboy Bebop is imho one of the best animes ever.

I agree. I would intermittently watch Cowboy Bebop when I was a kid. Even then I had appreciation for the music, characters and style. Shinichiro Watanabe also did an amazing job with Samurai Champloo.
I'm a bit of an imposter here because I'm doing Politics, but I think I'm going to be picking chinese economic development and japans economy and management, in my spring semester. I get to pick 20 credits worth from any dept, and they are 10 each. I presume that's how it works. It's all quite confusing!

I hope there's no problems with this. It's a shame because there's so many modules I was interested in, in this dept, but they were in the autumn term and I can't take them. :frown:

I've been stalking this thread becasue of module info, and I'm jealous of it! We don't have a nice friendly thread for Politics. Not fair! :P
Reply 467
Original post by impossible!
I'm a bit of an imposter here because I'm doing Politics, but I think I'm going to be picking chinese economic development and japans economy and management, in my spring semester. I get to pick 20 credits worth from any dept, and they are 10 each. I presume that's how it works. It's all quite confusing!

I hope there's no problems with this. It's a shame because there's so many modules I was interested in, in this dept, but they were in the autumn term and I can't take them. :frown:

I've been stalking this thread becasue of module info, and I'm jealous of it! We don't have a nice friendly thread for Politics. Not fair! :P

*Wecomes impossible! in* Hiiiii :biggrin:

I am also taking Japan's Economy and management but I'm stuck on what to take regarding the Chinese modules as Chinese culture and society intrigued me but I've read good things about the Economic development module. See you in class future class mate :biggrin:

Edit:

Also, this thread gets derailed quite a lot XD. It's really interesting to read though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 07734
*Wecomes impossible! in* Hiiiii :biggrin:

I am also taking Japan's Economy and management but Chinese culture and society intrigued me more then it's economic development. See you in class future class mate :biggrin:

Edit:

Also, this thread gets derailed quite a lot XD. It's really interesting to read though.

I totally missed chinese culture and society, because it was near the bottom with the second year stuff. Just had a read and that does sound good! I wanted to do East Asia environment and society, but couldn't, so seeing that module looks good. So now I have three that I'd be interested in taking, but I can only pick two. This will require some thought :colondollar:
Reply 469

I totally missed chinese culture and society, because it was near the bottom with the second year stuff. Just had a read and that does sound good! I wanted to do East Asia environment and society, but couldn't, so seeing that module looks good. So now I have three that I'd be interested in taking, but I can only pick two. This will require some thought :colondollar:

Gah! I know what you mean. There were so many gems hiding in the modules lists that I had problems too. The 2nd ones look even better *_* hehe, it's like a treat for those who pass the first year.

SIDE QUESTION-

Can any 2nd, 3rd or 4th years tell me which is better pleased -

Chinese Culture and Society: http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal_unit_detail?unit_code=EAS133&ctype=SPR+SEM&start_date=08-FEB-10&mand=Optional

or

Chinese Economic Development: http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal_unit_detail?unit_code=EAS168&ctype=SPR+SEM&start_date=08-FEB-10&mand=Optional

I'm doing Japanese Economy and Management as well and I thought the 2nd one would make a really interesting caparison. What are the lecturers like though? Read further in that Chinese Economic Development is a great module to take but nothing about Chinese Culture and Society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 07734
Gah! I know what you mean. There were so many gems hiding in the modules lists that I had problems too. The 2nd ones look even better *_* hehe, it's like a treat for those who pass the first year.

SIDE QUESTION-

Can any 2nd, 3rd or 4th years tell me which is better pleased -

Chinese Culture and Society: http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal_unit_detail?unit_code=EAS133&ctype=SPR+SEM&start_date=08-FEB-10&mand=Optional

or

Chinese Economic Development: http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal_unit_detail?unit_code=EAS168&ctype=SPR+SEM&start_date=08-FEB-10&mand=Optional

I'm doing Japanese Economy and Management as well and I thought the 2nd one would make a really interesting caparison. What are the lecturers like though? Read further in that Chinese Economic Development is a great module to take but nothing about Chinese Culture and Society.

I'll be keeping at eye on this question too ^_^

Do you happen to know what we do regarding spring semester modules? Do we only have to choose them later on in the year when it's closer, or do we do all of that now?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out the answer to that question :awesome: but now...do we register for them online? Ah, all this registration is confusing haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 471
I'll be keeping at eye on this question too ^_^

Do you happen to know what we do regarding spring semester modules? Do we only have to choose them later on in the year when it's closer, or do we do all of that now?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out the answer to that question :awesome: but now...do we register for them online? Ah, all this registration is confusing haha.

Modules that are NOT part of your department have to be applied for during Intro week :smile:, and modules that are part of your department are applied for online. Our deadline for applying was on the 11th, but I don't know about the other departments. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confusing at first though @_@
Original post by 07734
Modules that are NOT part of your department have to be applied for during Intro week :smile:, and modules that are part of your department are applied for online. Our deadline for applying was on the 11th, but I don't know about the other departments. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confusing at first though @_@

Okie dokie :smile: Thanks. I'll just wait and see what happens in Intro week.

Where are you living?
Reply 473
Okie dokie :smile: Thanks. I'll just wait and see what happens in Intro week.

Where are you living?

Broad Lane Court! :biggrin: You?
Reply 474
I'll ask that question over at the facebook group for you guys. :biggrin: Older years are a lot more active over there.
Reply 475
Original post by Susant
I'll ask that question over at the facebook group for you guys. :biggrin: Older years are a lot more active over there.

*Dies* but I'm nooooooooot on Facebook :'(
Reply 476
Original post by 07734
*Dies* but I'm nooooooooot on Facebook :'(

I asked the same question, now hopefully someone will reply soon either here or there :biggrin:
Reply 477
Original post by Susant
I asked the same question, now hopefully someone will reply soon either here or there :biggrin:

*Hugs Susant tightly* DOUMO ARIGATOU!!!! :]

Can't you decide either? Both look so good to me.:biggrin:
Reply 478
Original post by 07734
*Hugs Susant tightly* DOUMO ARIGATOU!!!! :]

Can't you decide either? Both look so good to me.:biggrin:

If I could, I'd take korean language I as well :tongue:

I want to take almost all of them lol.
Original post by 07734
Broad Lane Court! :biggrin: You?

Cool :smile: I'll be in Howden, Endcliffe. Slightly regretting that choice but oh well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending