The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

As a NatWest customer I expect them to do absolutely nothing other than delay every possible payment coming to me.
Reply 3061
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Yup, I'm an existing Natwest customer. No, my account hasn't automatically been changed.

Hmm...I may have to open a savings account that pays interest in addition to a student account. :beard:

i'm not intending to use my overdraft and i'm with natwest at the moment. i'm probably switching to HSBC (2% interest up to £1000 is as good as you'll get for a student/current account) and opening a savings one with nationwide.

jesus, that's the most sensible and informative thing i've posted in weeks. CHARLES! why were you not on skype for the running commentary on our 2012 thread, er, invasion the other day? missed you, man.

Original post by no chance
As a NatWest customer I expect them to do absolutely nothing other than delay every possible payment coming to me.

whilst attempting to pacify you with offers of useless freebies, rescheduling any appointment you make at the bank at least 4 times before you actually get to speak to a real person (inevitably fat, middle-aged, excessively perfumed and incompetent) and spamming you with irrelevant advertisements (where on earth did they get the idea i was recently married and fast-approaching 60?)...
Original post by Kobie
i'm not intending to use my overdraft and i'm with natwest at the moment. i'm probably switching to HSBC (2% interest up to £1000 is as good as you'll get for a student/current account) and opening a savings one with nationwide.

Santander is 5% up to £500, which by my maths seems better, and it requires less money tied up :pierre:
Reply 3063
Original post by ukdragon37
Santander is 5% up to £500, which by my maths seems better, and it requires less money tied up :pierre:

Doughnuts!!
-

yeah it is, i'll have a look :smile: cheers!
Original post by Kobie

jesus, that's the most sensible and informative thing i've posted in weeks. CHARLES! why were you not on skype for the running commentary on our 2012 thread, er, invasion the other day? missed you, man.

whilst attempting to pacify you with offers of useless freebies, rescheduling any appointment you make at the bank at least 4 times before you actually get to speak to a real person (inevitably fat, middle-aged, excessively perfumed and incompetent) and spamming you with irrelevant advertisements (where on earth did they get the idea i was recently married and fast-approaching 60?)...

HSBC :love: Also, why were YOU not on skype for our excellent duping of Nick and his subsequent inevitable and desperate clawing back which failed horrendously... It was very good.

:beard:

Very, very, very tempting.

But that railcard... :puppyeyes:

Original post by Kobie

jesus, that's the most sensible and informative thing i've posted in weeks. CHARLES! why were you not on skype for the running commentary on our 2012 thread, er, invasion the other day? missed you,

I thought I was alone in not intending to use my overdraft! :woo:

This damn internship is tiring me out hence my absence on Skype. :sad:

BUT... 18 days until we are all together!
:beard:

Very, very, very tempting.

But that railcard... :puppyeyes:

Were you already with NatWest? I thought they stopped that offer. I'd go with NatWest if you already qualify for the railcard but if you apply simultaneously you might be able to get both.
Were you already with NatWest? I thought they stopped that offer. I'd go with NatWest if you already qualify for the railcard but if you apply simultaneously you might be able to get both.

Yeah, I'm already with Natwest... Hmmm, this is more complicated than I imagined.

Also, I had a quick look on the Santander site and I can only see it saying 1% interest on balances up to £500. :pierre:
Yeah, I'm already with Natwest... Hmmm, this is more complicated than I imagined.

Also, I had a quick look on the Santander site and I can only see it saying 1% interest on balances up to £500. :pierre:

I'm with Santander and I've just seen I'll get no interest if I have more than 500 quid in the account...at least I'll have gadget insurance I suppose :frown:
Reply 3069
Original post by dbou
Nope, I think Churchill is one of the only colleges doing it this year for maths :smile:

Do you happen to know which other colleges are doing it (and why it is that only some colleges have it)?
Original post by Kobie

There's nothing quite like the musk of your fellow customers wafting themselves with that free glossy magazine, invariably with a Kate Winslet interview in it. It is an experience so particularly awful I wonder whether the entire banking system is some sort of front for this quale, which is farmed from us like fear is from children in Monsters Inc. The thought of going through all of that to get 'the best possible banking deal' isn't appealing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3071
Hi guys, do any of you know if there's a website I can go to find out about freshers' week? I've had no information about it whatsoever, apart from that maltriculation is on the 4th...

You need to look at their "Santander University" Student Account, which is only available to students going to a "Santander University", of which Cambridge is one :pierre:
Reply 3073
Hi!

I know this is technically not academic, but I'm a little desperate. Heh. Anyway, I'm bringing a wii for next year but I have not settled the TV/computer monitor bit. Was wondering if any of you (or anyone you know) might be selling their TV and for how much?

Thank you!
Reply 3074
Here does anybody know if central heating, internet etc is included in the price of your room or is it extra?
Reply 3075
Original post by emma1701
Here does anybody know if central heating, internet etc is included in the price of your room or is it extra?

Again, varies from college to college.

Which college are you at?

If it was included, it should say so somewhere.
Again, if it wasn't they would probably add "Heating, Internet is not included"

E.g. at christ's, Heating, Electricity and water are all included in your rent.

Internet, however, is an added cost.
Reply 3076
I might have got the wrong idea with student bank accounts, but unless you're with Natwest already (when the railcard makes it worth staying), isn't it best to go for the current account with the largest guaranteed interest-free overdraft (currently the Co-op), or possibly Lloyds (smaller overdraft, but free music and NUS extra card) and then stick anything you've got spare in an instant access savings account? Even if you don't intend to be overdrawn, you can put up to a couple of hundred pounds from your limit into the savings account and then move everything back when you get your college bill. That's what I'm probably doing... :colondollar:
Original post by emma1701

Original post by kpatb

I would be very surprised if any colleges charged extra for heating, though.
Reply 3078
Original post by kpatb

I'm at Queens', but it literally says nowhere what's included. All it says on the email is how much it costs a term, but it doesn't specify what the price covers :s-smilie:
Aw well, might just give them a ring to be sure, but I'd imagine most colleges are the same, so if everythin except internet is included at christ's its probably something similar at queens', thanks! :smile:
Reply 3079
Pembroke pay extra for electricity as well :smile: So yeah ring them up.

Quick Reply

Latest