The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TobeTheHero
has anyone watched planetes?

Someone obviously didn't read the rest of the posts on the page before replying. :rolleyes: :tongue:

Original post by bill-e
Its taken a while and was slow to get into it, but I've finally finished Planetes. Consistently awesome series, you can really tell they put thought and effort throughout the full duration of the series.

Anyway, I've also seen it. Fantastic series. :yes:
Reply 1861
I fully agree with what you've said about planetes.:sad:

I read that nasa has realised what a problem their debris in orbit is right now, so maybe we'll have planeteslike space refuse collectors in 50 years or so:giggle:
Original post by bill-e
It was awesome, but also funny. Its just so random. 'LOVE'
The movies very reminiscent of TTGL

Yeh, it was a bit random with a sappy love song to end the movie with techno-dub-rock for the soundtrack (which is ****ing awesome too). But I liked it, it made me feel :h:
Reply 1863
Actually wondering if someone could advise a series to watch if possible. Recently finished Romeo x Juliet and although the ending wasn't too great, the series as a whole was rather good. Sadly I've been trying to find an anime that's full of sadness and unrequited love, but to no avail. A few episodes of Clannad came somewhat close, but I had to shuffle through two seasons only to be dissapointed at the end. Saikano was rather good, but I haven't managed to find anything similar that hasn't had a very slow start.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Derfel
Actually wondering if someone could advise a series to watch if possible. Recently finished Romeo x Juliet and although the ending wasn't too great, the series as a whole was rather good. Sadly I've been trying to find an anime that's full of sadness and unrequited love, but to no avail. A few episodes of Clannad came somewhat close, but I had to shuffle through two seasons only to be dissapointed at the end. Saikano was rather good, but I haven't managed to find anything similar that hasn't had a very slow start.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, that's a very specific request. :hmmmm2: I'd suggest the following, if you haven't seen them already:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - a bit slow to start, but it builds up to a great drama.

Air - Like Clannad, but better (in my opinion). Shorter too.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - Short but (bitter)sweet.

Basilisk - Another Romeo and Juliet style series, but with some epic ninja fighting as well as tragic romance

Rose of Versailles - A bit older and longer than the above, but I'd highly recommend it.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 1865
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Hmm, that's a very specific request. :hmmmm2: I'd suggest the following, if you haven't seen them already:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - a bit slow to start, but it builds up to a great drama.

Air - Like Clannad, but better (in my opinion). Shorter too.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - Short but (bitter)sweet.

Basilisk - Another Romeo and Juliet style series, but with some epic ninja fighting as well as tragic romance

Rose of Versailles - A bit older and longer than the above, but I'd highly recommend it.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks for those, I've seen all of them bar Basilisk as I thought it was more actiony and had no romance, I'll check it out, thanks again.
Original post by Steins

A teaser after the final episode of the Steins;Gate television anime series announced on Wednesday morning that production on a film has been green-lit. 5pb. studio head/producer Chiyomaru Shikura had revealed the news before the announcement actually aired. Steins;Gate producer Yoshinao Doi had also indicated earlier on Tuesday that viewers should keep watching their televisions after the episode's ending animation sequence is over.

The Steins;Gate television anime is based on the second "scientific adventure game" by the studios 5pb. and Nitroplus, who also created Chaos;HEAd. The artist huke (Black Rock Shooter) designed the characters, and the studio WHITE FOX animated the project.

The story of the original game revolves around the eccentric college student Rintarō "Okarin" Okabe and his "Mirai Gadget Kenkyūsho" ("Future Gadget Laboratory") circle of friends in a realistic version of Tokyo's Akihabara district. The friends turn a microwave oven into a machine that sends email messages to the past, and that attracts the attention of a mysterious organization called SERN.

Crunchyroll has been streaming the anime outside Japan as it aired, and Funimation announced at Anime Expo in July that it acquired the anime for release in North America.

:zomg: I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised by the fact there's going to be a movie, or by the fact this series is over. I assumed it would be 25-26 eps, feels too soon for the season to be ending!
Reply 1867
Finale of Steins;Gate was perfection - really amazed at how neatly they wrapped it up. Excellent show.
Reply 1868
Steins;Gate ...though I didnt warm to it initially it ended up being pretty damn good.:beard: Clever and very well thought out, the time machine theory was clear and understandable, unlike in some fiction ive seen where it just goes up its own arse.:hmmm:

Any idea whats the movie going to be about, a condensed version of the series? Or perhaps another route from the visual novel if there is one.:dontknow:

Though there were many great scenes in the series this is probably my favourite:mmm:

Spoiler

EDIT:was looking on AP ..apparently 4 people have seen the movie already.:zomg:

EDIT2: one thing about the last episode I was thinking about

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1869
Talking of Stein's gate, I too at first didn't warm to it amazingly, thinking of it as ok.

I've sat and watched episodes 15-24 in a row :mmm:

:borat:
Original post by Derfel

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried Inuyasha?

It's actually one of my favourite animes and it seems to fit your request very well, although I'm not sure if it's free of action... even so, I'm sure it will appeal to you as it is a story of suffering and unrequited love :yep: Anyways I hope this suggestion is of some use to you :h:
Omg is it strange that I absolutely adore Bokusatsu Tenshi? I still watch it even now lol :mmm:

Original post by PoGo HoPz
Omg is it strange that I absolutely adore Bokusatsu Tenshi? I still watch it even now lol :mmm:

Not strange at all, it's a great fun series. :yes: Guessing you've seen the sequel as well as the first OVA?

---

The final episode of Usagi Drop just came out, and No. 6 will probably follow in about half an hour... though I won't be watching them until tomorrow with my current internet speeds. :p: Can't complain though, they're much better than they were on Sunday - Monday.

[EDIT] A torrent for No. 6 has shown up suspiciously early, and with a suspiciously low file size of 51 MB that is suspiciously the same for both 480p and 720p... troll senses are tingling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1873

Pi-piru-piru-piru-pi-piru-pi!

I bought the set on DVD (import) having already seen it before. Dokuro :teeth:

Having finished steins gate, and with Usagi drop and no.6 to follow, and shortly Tiger and bunny, I'm hoping to go through some of the older shows I have on backlog, as next season doesn't have much for me :nyoron:
Apparently the HorribleSubs No. 6 torrents are actually the final episode, but both the files are the 360p version, because apparently that's currently the only version available on Crunchyroll due to some issue.

*will wait for 720p, since he won't be getting much of anything downloaded tonight anyway*
Reply 1875

As the others have said - not strange at all! I was never a fan of gore until I saw this series. :colondollar: Watching those clips, I just realised Baka to Test almost have the same humour as this. :biggrin:

We finished another anime, namely Baccano! . I thought I've seen violence and gore, but this series made me cringe so many times. *shudders* Very good anime though. It confused me at times because of the whole flashback and time skips, but it's part of the mystery I suppose. Also had a little problem regarding the character names, but I soon learned them halfway through the series. XD Definitely will be one of my recommendations next time. :biggrin:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Not strange at all, it's a great fun series. :yes: Guessing you've seen the sequel as well as the first OVA

Original post by Truered
Pi-piru-piru-piru-pi-piru-pi!

I bought the set on DVD (import) having already seen it before. Dokuro :teeth:

Original post by ella37
As the others have said - not strange at all! I was never a fan of gore until I saw this series. :colondollar: Watching those clips, I just realised Baka to Test almost have the same humour as this. :biggrin:
Yayyy! :woo: I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves it :h:

In answer to your question AJ, yes I have seen all of them, including dokuro chan 2 :yep: although I'm ashamed to say that I only have the original OVA on DVD lol :innocent: I'm not really a big fan of gore tbh, but the plot and characters in bokusatsu are just so wacky and surreal that you just have to love it :awesome: It just resonates so well with my personality which is why I love it so much :tongue:

Dokuro Chan is sooooo cute as well! :daydreaming: although I can't decide who like more tbh, Dokuro or Zakuro... they're both so awesome lol :love:
Reply 1877
Noitamina series finale's

Usagi Drop = D'awww~! but that's it!?
No.6 = :wtf: but I liked it anyway XD
Reply 1878
Original post by caraniel
Noitamina series finale's

Usagi Drop = D'awww~! but that's it!?
No.6 = :wtf: but I liked it anyway XD

In a discussion about Usagi drop on ANN, I accidentally stumbled across the ending of the manga. For yours and vin's sake, I think it's better it ends where it'll end (haven't seen the last episode yet, but I can guess roughly what it'll be like :mmm: )

Did no.6 break out into yaoi by the end? :awesome:

(Might try and finish both shows today, and drop my "watching" list)
I'm with Cara on Usagi Drop, nice but definitely cut short. I imagine it will get a sequel if the first series does well. :yes: Still can't comment on No. 6, since last night's slow internet continued into this morning, but all of a sudden it's really fast again, so *hopefully* I'll be able to watch it in ~10 minutes. :hmmmm2:

Today I finished my first complete series since the beginning of the month, Neo Ranga, though since I'd seen a lot of it before the start of the month, and since the episodes are half length, that's really not much of an achievement. :o: The dissertation is to blame of course, and the fact that I've been prioritizing my weekly series, particularly those that are about to end. I'll be starting The Twelve Kingdoms to replace Ranga (*is still after the Pierrot badge, in case anyone was wondering*)... I don't expect to finish that any time soon though, unless it really grips me.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest