The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For an 18th something she'll remember can be good. Theatre or concert tickets would be good (well, that's what I'd love to get for my 18th haha), and you can decide if she's really into musicals or comedy or rock or whatever. Then you can get a card and something little- even a joke present would do- to go with it because unwrapping presents is fun :smile: Oh and if you do end up going out somewhere for her present you could make sure to take lots of pictures and put the best one/s in a frame for her :smile:

Personally I don't like getting jewellry for presents, but maybe that's just me and I'm a rubbish excuse for a girl. But it seems a bit naff and cliche, I'd appreciate the gist, but I'd feel weird about it... Although if it sounds like something your girlfrind would be into then go for it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Muffin.
Get her something she can always keep with her when you're not around

...Rampant Rabbit?
Reply 22
Promise ring. They're very good for marking your territory.
Original post by TheEssence
Get her a birthday suit

Very little posted on here actually makes me lolz IRL, but this did :five:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Very little posted on here actually makes me lolz IRL, but this did :five:

:biggrin: :five:
Reply 25
I'm getting my lady an engagement ring. Wish me luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i'm male and me and my girlfriend have been going out for not far off 4 months and her birthday (will be 18) is coming up soon. I've a few ideas of what to get her but I'm not positive and would appreciate any ideas you guys/girls have. A friend raised a perhaps valid point that it's not like we have just started seeing eachother but at the same time we haven't been together for something like a year, so its knowing what is too little, and too much, or should there not be such a thing as too much for my girlfriend? I'm going to uni in ~2 weeks and she's a year below so going to be at home, if that alters any potential ideas.

Thanks in advance

Birthday sex.
Reply 27
Blimey, half the stuff people are recommending are a bit expensive! Theatre tickets to the West End?

My girlfriend (of two months, but I've known her for years so that alters it a bit) got a gift bag full of little things I knew she'd like, to take to uni with her :smile: A couple of bars of Lindt, some dried mango, some light-up balloons, a nice scented candle, a little cuddly lion, various novelty items of stationary, and a little decorated gift box. Didn't break the bank (I'd be well overwhelmed if someone got me, say, West End tickets - I mean, that's like, minimum of £20/ticket, no?) but was thoughtful without being too clingy, and she loved it, so there we go :smile:
Reply 28
If shes into music, tickets for one of her favourite artists?

That or pick'n'mix. Bithces love pick'n'mix.
Reply 30
Original post by The Dark Lord

That or pick'n'mix. Bithces love pick'n'mix.

Thats what I was going to post, good job.
My boyfriend dressed up as a pirate and knocked on my door, delivering me a treasure map and a pirate outfit.

We then spent the best day of my life dressed as pirates running around our village and the surrounding countryside searching for his hidden 'treasure', just silly bits and bobs which were either little in jokes, my favourite sweets, one of his homemade flapjacks which I love, and other things which mean things to us but are really cheap. So much thought, not much money and so many memories and funny photos.

DO IT!
Reply 32
I took my girlfriend to TGI Fridays and got her tattoo done :smile:... a teddy and a card :biggrin:
Reply 33
whatever it is, if it shows you put thought into it she'l love it. for my 18th (i think it was) my boyfriend at the time bought me a giant cuddly polar bear. Girls never grow out of teddy bears especially MASSIVE ones plus she's got something to hug when you're not around that reminds her of you. depends if she's the teddy type though. Necklace would be good alternative but maybe get an engraving on it?
Another year my boyfriend bought us tickets to see my favorite singer, and for xmas he bought me a unicycle (always wanted one!!) but maybe leave the weird stuff for later years!!
Reply 34
What about a silver heart locket, then she can put your photo in it. Or a Pandora style bracelet with some beads.
Reply 35
Original post by glf2110
What about a silver heart locket, then she can put your photo in it. Or a Pandora style bracelet with some beads.

Have you ever tried cutting out a heart shaped picture (i have) its fiddly as.. haha. That said pick out a nice photo of the two of you and put the pic in for her, makes the present more personal :smile:
It's so easy to buy for a girl, buying for guys is the hard thing!!
Reply 36
Original post by iain_tk
Pandora charm bracelet, and buy one or two charms ?
Leather one, with a nice heart charm will only be £70.... it is her 18th.

Just had a look at those bracelets, because I'm nosey. **** me, some of those charms are expensive. £245 for a tiny piece of 14ct gold. People who but that must be mentally ill.
Reply 37
Original post by Kennyy
Just had a look at those bracelets, because I'm nosey. **** me, some of those charms are expensive. £245 for a tiny piece of 14ct gold. People who but that must be mentally ill.

I agree.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i'm male and me and my girlfriend have been going out for not far off 4 months and her birthday (will be 18) is coming up soon. I've a few ideas of what to get her but I'm not positive and would appreciate any ideas you guys/girls have. A friend raised a perhaps valid point that it's not like we have just started seeing eachother but at the same time we haven't been together for something like a year, so its knowing what is too little, and too much, or should there not be such a thing as too much for my girlfriend? I'm going to uni in ~2 weeks and she's a year below so going to be at home, if that alters any potential ideas.

Thanks in advance

We all will have different responses so choose what's best for you in terms of budget and time and your willingness in trying to make the effort for your girlfriend who you just been out with for 4 months.

That is true, you don't want to exaggerate the gift too much. But really all relationship is different. It's your relationship, you decide how your relationship goes and of course, I'm assuming only you who knows your partner well than anyone here on this forum. Hopefully.

Anyhow, moving on. I'm thinking of holding a surprise party either at your house, or her home (That if you can pull it off). Try to get her best friend or close friend contacts only to arrive to the party. Get a birthday cake done, hopefully medium-ish will do.

I'm assuming those who do arrive to her surprise party will bring presents or some sort of wine or something. Anyhow.... I tend to think that gifts like more a memorable birthday party which they can share with there close ones.

Is it expensive? Doubt it but depends how big you want the surprise party. Try discuss with her parents, if its at her house but it'll be difficult to keep it a secret but I'm sure if your close to her parents, they may acknowledge your efforts.

Well whatever you decide, hope it goes well.
If you get her a necklace/bracelet/etc, buy one that's sterling silver rather than a costume jewellery piece (plated rhodium etc). That way she can literally wear it forever without it turning her skin green/tarnishing irreversibly/breaking. You can buy silver jewellery for a whole range of prices so you won't have to get something stupid and extravagant, and the fact that it's "proper" jewellery should go down well!! (Small pendants on chains can be very good value because they don't actually use a lot of metal!)

Silver by Mail has a really good website- my mum used to get me birthday presents off there, so I can vouch that their stuff lasts..!

...I'm going to stop now, because I sound like an ad for the silver industry...

Latest

Trending

Trending