The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So. Stupid question, but what is the silence? I mean at first we're led to believe it's a species, but then in let's kill hitler we're told point blank that they're not a species but a religious order of some sort. So what exactly are they and why do they look like they're all part of the same species?

Or is it something simple like they're some sort of foot soldiers that are called the silence, but all they are are just footsoldiers for the religious order.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by limetang
So. Stupid question, but what is the silence? I mean at first we're led to believe it's a species, but then in let's kill hitler we're told point blank that they're not a species but a religious order of some sort. So what exactly are they and why do they look like they're all part of the same species?

Or is it something simple like they're some sort of foot soldiers that are called the silence, but all they are are just footsoldiers for the religious order.

We really don't know at this point. It's also something that is irritating me slightly and I hope there's a good explanation of why there appears to be hundreds of creatures with inherent abilities that have existed for hundreds of years yet are not a species. Though it was never explicitly referenced that the creatures were not a species but only the 'Silence'. Either that or why Moffat didn't even bother giving them a proper name, apart from the header of 'The Silence'. Also, we've never heard anyone else, apart from the creatures, being referred to as 'The Silence' unless there is an implication that Kovarian and all those religious Clerics and Headless Monks were.

There's also the matter of the 'Academy of the Question'. Another organisation.
Original post by Darren-M
There have been a couple of hints to the Silence/a malevolent being inside the Tardis. Wasn't the Tardis explosion in the Big bang because of that?

I miss being all intouch with Doctor Who, I can't find any motivation to untangle the hints with Moffat and Smith at the wheel.

It was, however as far as I'm aware it hasn't been confirmed yet.
Original post by limetang

I'm intrigued as to what the silents do to new members to make them look the same.

But at the same I don't want to because I can only imagine how horrifying it is.

*shudders*
I'm not lying here - I've actually forgtten what the Silence look like. Everytime I try to imagine them I see Ood :eek::biggrin:
Original post by Pandora.
I'm not lying here - I've actually forgtten what the Silence look like. Everytime I try to imagine them I see Ood :eek::biggrin:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

:rofl:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
We really don't know at this point. It's also something that is irritating me slightly and I hope there's a good explanation of why there appears to be hundreds of creatures with inherent abilities that have existed for hundreds of years yet are not a species. Though it was never explicitly referenced that the creatures were not a species but only the 'Silence'. Either that or why Moffat didn't even bother giving them a proper name, apart from the header of 'The Silence'. Also, we've never heard anyone else, apart from the creatures, being referred to as 'The Silence' unless there is an implication that Kovarian and all those religious Clerics and Headless Monks were.

There's also the matter of the 'Academy of the Question'. Another organisation.

Maybe the Silence we saw in TIA/DotM are The Silence, a religious organisation and Madam Kovarain and the Clerics make up the 'Academy of the Question'.

I just hope it's resolved properly.
Hmmm, if the silence are a religious order, not a species, and they are connected to the astronaut/Kovarian in some way, then could Melody be a member of the Silence? Maybe that's why Amy doesn't think about her as often as we might expect :holmes:
Original post by HereBeDragons
Hmmm, if the silence are a religious order, not a species, and they are connected to the astronaut/Kovarian in some way, then could Melody be a member of the Silence? Maybe that's why Amy doesn't think about her as often as we might expect :holmes:

Also because Riversong remembered regenerating as a little girl (remember in that episode with the Silence where she regenerated in front of a homeless man) so at that point she had been with the Silence so this suggests either The Silence work with Madam Kovarian or they took her from Madam Kovarian?
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Also because Riversong remembered regenerating as a little girl (remember in that episode with the Silence where she regenerated in front of a homeless man) so at that point she had been with the Silence so this suggests either The Silence work with Madam Kovarian or they took her from Madam Kovarian?

Perhaps in a bizarre way they were saving her from Kovarian? :holmes: However I'm not sure how that would work.
The God Complex Teasers

Spoiler

Reply 6652
Original post by sleekchic
The God Complex Teasers

Spoiler

Bit in bold
And I look forward to being scared and freaked out :smile:
Original post by humy369
Bit in bold
And I look forward to being scared and freaked out :smile:

I want his next companion to be male and/or an alien. Why is it always human's from Earth? You could have someone from Teagan's world again perhaps? There's more humanoid's out there, take one of them away.
The Radio Times has confirmed the cast list for episode 12, Closing Time. There are a couple of surprises which may be considered a spoiler.

Spoiler

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/whos-in-closing-time-25881.htm
The Radio Times has confirmed the cast list for episode 12, Closing Time. There are a couple of surprises which may be considered a spoiler.

Spoiler

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/whos-in-closing-time-25881.htm

Thanks! :h:

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER INCLUDED:

Spoiler

Original post by SirMasterKey
Perhaps in a bizarre way they were saving her from Kovarian? :holmes: However I'm not sure how that would work.

I'd imagine the Silence predate back to before Kovarian simply because that's what they were sort of saying, they've always been there. But what about now that Riversong didn't kill the doctor so then she won't be imprisoned so I guess her timeline will have changed from that point on.
Reply 6657
Original post by Formerly LieDown
Can't, I live abroad.

Student? Use your university's VPN.
The God Complex Teasers

Spoiler

The bits in bold. The episode has a lot of hype so I hope it is good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6659

Spoiler