The Student Room Group

what the hell kind of bug is this i keep finding in my house?

i swear ive never seen it before, but last week or a little earlier i saw a huge black bug crawling down the hall way so i promptly stepped on it and the damn thing didnt die it still kept crawling but slower ( i was wearing flip flops when i was doing this so soft) then i stepped on it with some boots it still cralwed and i stepped on it about 2 more times to get it completely dead, anyway i saw another 1 now, a lot smalller like 3 times smaller and it died with 2 steps, so i took a few pictures on my low resolution camera, im hoping som1 can tell me what it is

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clean your house man
it's an endangoured species of beetle, there could be an imprisonment for you.
Reply 3
I keep getting them at my house too, their some kind of fly. My case was a little worse however, our carpet in the hallway wasn't laid properly so stuff can easily get under it and my brother is always spilling coffee (with 10 sugars) on the carpet. So when I got up one morning the the entire floor was teeming with them, thousands crawling out of the corners in the carpet.

Probably the most fun hoovering I've ever had tbf.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by z0tx
Clean your house man

Absolutely...
Original post by alwaysme
I keep getting them at my house too, their some kind of fly. My case was a little worse however, our carpet in the hallway wasn't laid properly so stuff can easily get under it, crumbs .etc When I got up one morning the the entire floor was teeming with them, thousands.

I just felt a chill go down my spine :afraid:
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by Billy Bryant

do you know the name also it might be a fly i thought?
Reply 8
Original post by Billy Bryant

This means?
Reply 9
Original post by z0tx
Clean your house man

man the house is nearly empty too, my fat slag of a mum leaves the door open all day when she watches tv because she is hot, crap crawls in and she has a fan in front of her, i dont get it
Reply 10
Original post by alice.eleanor.x
Absolutely...

its fairly clean, well from the top
Original post by jus2sik
man the house is nearly empty too, my fat slag of a mum leaves the door open all day when she watches tv because she is hot, crap crawls in and she has a fan in front of her, i dont get it

What a beautiful thing to say about the woman who gave birth to you.
Looks a bit like a ground beetle?
Reply 13
Original post by alwaysme
I keep getting them at my house too, their some kind of fly. My case was a little worse however, our carpet in the hallway wasn't laid properly so stuff can easily get under it and my brother is always spilling coffee (with 10 sugars) on the carpet .etc So when I got up one morning the the entire floor was teeming with them, thousands.

Probably the most fun hoovering I've ever had tbf.

yeah about this i saw ant and a fly crawling near it also so i thought this pokemon evolves into this 1 and that 1 into the other, the thing with mine is that my wooden floors dont have the sides put in because my dad was a lazy drunk when he was putting them in 20 years ago, so crap does crawl on the sides, now when you say thousands do you really mean that or are you exagerating, this is the first time in my life ive ever seen these in my house or ever
Seen a few of them in my time, not sure what they are. Just keep windows and doors shut, vacuum and clean, especially fabrics, beds etc. and maybe use some pesticide :smile:
Could be a house longhorn beetle the pictures aren't great
The rear garden door is often open in my house for hours most days, and I've seen these kind of insects around the house before. No idea what they are, but leaving windows or doors open all the time definitely seems to allow them entry.

Just close your door man.
Reply 17
Original post by daisydaffodil
What a beautiful thing to say about the woman who gave birth to you.

well i dont mean it but i am really pisd at her at the moment because she falls asleep on the sofa garden door wide open tv on really loud, people can just walk in and rob, this is the 23rd time ( yes keep track ) she has done this, i go to sleep early because i have to work as a cleaner b4 uni to pay the damn bills and i have to set an alarm for 10 pm, 1 am and 4 am when i check to see she hasnt opened the bloody door again, so screw you for judging me, i hope you dont have to do something similar for your fat slag of a mother
Reply 18
Original post by i.am.lost
x

No, I don't think it's an ant.
Reply 19
Looks like an OCYPUS OLENS(rove beetle)

But pictures arn't clear enough...

This beetle looks like is has 3 body section (head,torso and tail)

the ocypus olens has 4 sections (head,upper torso,lower torso and tail)

Your decision or not whether it's that or not.

Your the only one who can see it close in person, unless you get HD pics.

Or could be a Staphilinidae

ROVE BEETLE FOR SURE
What sub species? I dont know.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending