The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maths134
Ive gone for the 'I'm not well rounded, I want to study maths' tactic where I have lots of maths extra curricular and details about things but NO other things. I got rid of all the things I wrote about drama etc because they arnt relevent and I needed space lol.

Pretty much same as me. Only in the last parapgrah do I pretty much bullet point ECs and societies, work exp.
Ive gone for the 'I'm not well rounded, I want to study maths' tactic where I have lots of maths extra curricular and details about things but NO other things. I got rid of all the things I wrote about drama etc because they arnt relevent and I needed space lol.

I literally wrote 1 sentence that just reads like all the things I do other than maths. :tongue:

My reference is mentioning most of that rubbish anyway :wink: If it's not maths then who cares? :tongue:
Original post by hassi94
I literally wrote 1 sentence that just reads like all the things I do other than maths. :tongue:

My reference is mentioning most of that rubbish anyway :wink: If it's not maths then who cares? :tongue:

Exactly lol, I think EC's matter less for maths anyway tbh =p. I've been speaking to a mate at Cambridge (trinity) and he was like yeh, they rly dont care...
Exactly lol, I think EC's matter less for maths anyway tbh =p. I've been speaking to a mate at Cambridge (trinity) and he was like yeh, they rly dont care...

Don't other universities care? (Warwick, Imperial, etc.)

I have mentioned ECs unrelated to maths very slightly for the reason above.
ec's are good to mention...more if your applying for cambridge rather than oxford.
Reply 1385

Agree. I understand that olympiads, etc. are good to mention but non-maths stuff will be irrelevant for most (but not all) good unis.

Original post by Rahul.S
ec's are good to mention...more if your applying for cambridge rather than oxford.

Why? I am curious. I suspect ECs (unless spectacular and maths related: e.g. IMO team/ squad) will be largely useless in obtaining your place. It will depend mostly on interviews and performace on MAT/STEP. Very low test scores in these do not compensate for non-mathsy ECs.
Original post by Piisbetterthantau
Don't other universities care? (Warwick, Imperial, etc.)

I have mentioned ECs unrelated to maths very slightly for the reason above.

I would be very surprised if Warwick even read the personal statement.
Original post by twig
Agree. I understand that olympiads, etc. are good to mention but non-maths stuff will be irrelevant for most (but not all) good unis.

Why? I am curious. I suspect ECs (unless spectacular and maths related: e.g. IMO team/ squad) will be largely useless in obtaining your place. It will depend mostly on interviews and performace on MAT/STEP. Very low test scores in these do not compensate for non-mathsy ECs.

ofc very low test scores arent compensated my ec's whether maths or non-mathsy lol. during my cambridge residential stay....corpus cristi....they clearly said yes- no neccessary ec is needed for a maths applicant but ec's non-mathsy being mentioned may stand out as few mention it....and being able to link it somehow with your course...so maths is even better! oxford dont give two ***** about it....after speaking with few people there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
ec's non-mathsy being mentioned may stand out as few mention it....and being able to link it somehow with your course

'I play football, which really relates to maths as you need to be able to keep track of the score using addition'

Linking your hobbies to maths is always going to sound contrived.
Original post by Schnecke
'I play football, which really relates to maths as you need to be able to keep track of the score using addition'

Linking your hobbies to maths is always going to sound contrived.

what an idiot! ofc like the example above....it is contrived. i just want people to know ec's which arent related to maths can be mentioned. maybe sometimes you cant link it with maths....e.g. volunteer at a charity shop....

p.s.: counting the score is the only time you can use maths :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
what an idiot! ofc like the example above....it is contrived. i just want people to know ec's which arent related to maths can be mentioned. maybe sometimes you cant link it with maths....e.g. volunteer at a charity shop....

p.s.: counting the score is the only time you can use maths :colone:

You going to Warwick open day?
Original post by Jampolo
You going to Warwick open day?

shahi said i should come.....cnt be asked to fill that form. might just come without informing them....have your bars ready...cuz i know how you look :colone: any sighting of hassi will result in a stabbing :colone: :biggrin:
Yeah! Party at Warwick. :colone: :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
shahi said i should come.....cnt be asked to fill that form. might just come without informing them....have your bars ready...cuz i know how you look :colone: any sighting of hassi will result in a stabbing :colone: :biggrin:

You better b there. we should all meet up and spit bars together mayb even film a lotm3 special.
Original post by Jampolo
You better b there. we should all meet up and spit bars together mayb even film a lotm3 special.

this is getting me hyped :colone: i will post tomorrow if im coming for sure...guess there is time for me to sign up? will ask some boiz in my school to back me up....dw about jaykae he aint allowed :wink:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Yeah! Party at Warwick. :colone: :colone:

Good luck with that, there is literally nothing there :lol:
Original post by Rahul.S

Aw thought you were gonna gun me down. Down to stabbing now? Bit disappointing, to say the least.
Original post by dnumberwang

My idea of partying is a math quiz. :colone: LOL JK, nah we got Rahul, all we need is a mic and a beat and BOOM. :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
this is getting me hyped :colone: i will post tomorrow if im coming for sure...guess there is time for me to sign up? will ask some boiz in my school to back me up....dw about jaykae he aint allowed :wink:

nahh its all full i think :frown: lool your your boys r clapped.
Original post by dnumberwang

A cynic's view remains cynical if they are nothing but cynical about it.

Latest