The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

A stupid law...... but the reasoning to having it seems valid....though I doubt it would ever become law.
Original post by balloon_parade

If it only really happens in former soviet states then why not sort it there instead of an EU wide ruling? I don't think it will come in to force, seems too backwards.

Because it is a Council of Europe study and usually this body is far more effective in solving Europe wide issues.... problem is they seem to take a 1 size fits all approach.
Reply 522
Hello. I posted on here a while back anon mentioning that I'm a student and had recently found out I was expecting. I'm just posting as I'm wondering if anyone out there has suffered unexplained bruising on their lower legs during pregnancy? I had a couple of bruises on my legs which spread so far and new bruises formed which made it really difficult to get up from a sitting position...walking was really awful....my ankles were swollen and my shins were completely covered in red bruises right up to the knee. My legs are a lot better now but I'm 16 weeks now and my legs have been bruised since I was about 4 weeks along. A consultant mentioned that it could possibly be something called Erythema Nodosum and said that it can be associated with pregnancy but its fairly rare in that case. It was so severe that I was kept in hospital overnight whilst docs were trying to work out the problem. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? And when might my legs get better and not look like those of a school kid?

I read that EN lasts between 3 and 6 weeks, so 12 weeks seems like a very long time :/ Thanks for any suggestions!
It seems a bit radical, surely there should be more research into where the late abortions are taking place? Especially if you can only find out the sex at the 20 week scan and then it takes place after that. I thought you needed special permission for terminations after a certain number of weeks.

If it only really happens in former soviet states then why not sort it there instead of an EU wide ruling? I don't think it will come in to force, seems too backwards.

Have you thought about something personalised to that baby? Personalised taggie or comforter? I loved personalised things for the second, then it's just for them!

PMP: Have a great holiday!

HRH: Glad to hear you're doing well.

x

Original post by HerRoyalHighness
Or what about a giftcard for Mothercare or something. that way she can choose what she uses it for.

Thank you! Just mentioned to the Mum whether she'd like me to get something for her older child as she wont be gettnig much, whilst the baby is getting everything. Whilst I dont agree that the older one should get used to having something everytime the baby does.. but she said she's been wanting some DVDs for a while, and its only £11 for the box set, so ive said i'll buy them.
Reply 524
Original post by **CutiePie**
Thank you! Just mentioned to the Mum whether she'd like me to get something for her older child as she wont be gettnig much, whilst the baby is getting everything. Whilst I dont agree that the older one should get used to having something everytime the baby does.. but she said she's been wanting some DVDs for a while, and its only £11 for the box set, so ive said i'll buy them.

Actually, my parents gave me a small gift every once in a while when my sister was born, which I definitely still remember and appreciate.
I had absolutely no idea what the hell happened to my life when she was born - I was 3.5 so I was aware enough to notice that suddenly I was getting 50% less attention (from my point of view of course). Everyone bending over this crying thing (she had asthma : ( ) and giving it gifts made me so sad. The fact that my parents realized this and tried to make up for it a bit was great. It was just small plushies and things but it made me happy : )
Original post by Zenobia
Actually, my parents gave me a small gift every once in a while when my sister was born, which I definitely still remember and appreciate.
I had absolutely no idea what the hell happened to my life when she was born - I was 3.5 so I was aware enough to notice that suddenly I was getting 50% less attention (from my point of view of course). Everyone bending over this crying thing (she had asthma : ( ) and giving it gifts made me so sad. The fact that my parents realized this and tried to make up for it a bit was great. It was just small plushies and things but it made me happy : )

Gah! Now you've made me feel sorry for the little girl lol. Although thank you, that has helped - She is roughly 3 and a half so I guess it will be the same for her.
I always buy her things, when her parents got married and i was bridesmaid i brought her something instead, xmas and stuff i'll buy her and not her parents..
Reply 526
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I love sapphire's MEGA catch-ups lol x

Me too :biggrin:
Mew_156: I have never heard of such condition, sorry I can't be of much more help! I hope you feel better x

Tufts: Still loving your blog, I was reading the other day that the UK has the highest childcare costs in the WORLD! What are your thoughts on this? Could be an interesting blog topic. And your most recent one, I am so ridiculously bias so I obviously think girls are better to parent :tongue: ( if I had boys I'd be the opposite I'm sure!)

--

One week today I will be about to become wedded woman, eeeeeek! Picking up my dress today as it's my final fitting. Everything is kind of coming together...ish! Just got to actually pay for everything now (the not so fun part...) Plus I'm not overly happy with my weight but I guess a corseted back can do wonders :tongue: I am rather nervous!

A little update on us: My course is going really well. I know I can do it and I really feel like this uni has the belief in me to succeed. It's all rather hectic but I know it will be worth it! Bella is loving school and I'm loving being involved and helping her with her little 'homework' and Milly has started nursery 2 mornings a week, which she seems to really enjoy.

Hope everyone is well and hope PMP is having a lovely holiday!!!

xx
Mew_156: I have never heard of such condition, sorry I can't be of much more help! I hope you feel better x

Tufts: Still loving your blog, I was reading the other day that the UK has the highest childcare costs in the WORLD! What are your thoughts on this? Could be an interesting blog topic. And your most recent one, I am so ridiculously bias so I obviously think girls are better to parent :tongue: ( if I had boys I'd be the opposite I'm sure!)

--

One week today I will be about to become wedded woman, eeeeeek! Picking up my dress today as it's my final fitting. Everything is kind of coming together...ish! Just got to actually pay for everything now (the not so fun part...) Plus I'm not overly happy with my weight but I guess a corseted back can do wonders :tongue: I am rather nervous!

A little update on us: My course is going really well. I know I can do it and I really feel like this uni has the belief in me to succeed. It's all rather hectic but I know it will be worth it! Bella is loving school and I'm loving being involved and helping her with her little 'homework' and Milly has started nursery 2 mornings a week, which she seems to really enjoy.

xx

I am thanks Hun I'm currently sitting by the pool on phil's iPad hehe. It's lovely and warm here :-)
Reply 529

I'm glad you like it! :cool: What did you think of the stat: "You're more likely to get divorced if you have a daughter" :eek:

Re: childcare costs, women will bare the brunt of that. Very sad.
All goes well here, just incredibly bored staying at home.... highlight and excitement of paternity leave is in the mornings when I get to send DD to school and then pick her up later in the day.... LOL... the fun part to that is there is one Italian lady in a very nice Italian car that ummmm... :biggrin:

Finally have managed to change the diaper on DS without it falling off, still not confident enough to use the cloth ones as I'm afraid of fastening the pins.

Thankfully week after next I return to work and my parents return to Hong Kong..... uhhh eagerly waiting for that week. Staying home has been driving me crazy.

Ahhhh..... but one good thing about the leave, I've finally caught up on all my readings and for the first time in 10 years I actually bought magazines to read. Finally had the time to read it during that moments at night when I can't sleep :tongue:

I was reading the other day that the UK has the highest childcare costs in the WORLD! What are your thoughts on this?

Doesn't surprise me. Almost everything here is among the most expensive in the world..... only thing not expensive is my salary :tongue:

But I can understand the reason behind the higher cost, inflation, higher NI cost, wages, on top of that we live in some of the most expensive real-estate in the world and finally we also have a lot of regulatory issues that does cost a lot of money to comply with, having said that for the most part our childcare is among the best in Europe......well on condition that you can afford it that is.

While those in Europe are by no means bad, they appear to be cheaper but it is that way simply because there are loads of government subsidies towards it and a lot of it are state run as well. Not sure if I want such a thing....... don't want to pay 50p taxes :tongue:

Seriously thinking of getting an au pair from Germany as it could just work out to be only slightly more expensive..............and the more important part is I don't need to do housework :biggrin: But then that comes with other problems too.

Hope all is going well for you and you aren't pushing yourself over the limit in preparation of the big day.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I am thanks Hun I'm currently sitting by the pool on phil's iPad hehe. It's lovely and warm here :-)

3 WORDS- YOU JAMMY GIT! Glad you are having fun and chilling :smile:

I really need to stop eating, its every few days that for a day or two, I feel hungry all the time and if I dont eat I feel ill. Trying to nibble on healthy foods but it is really quite annoying.
We are now seriously considering VBAC. I feel now if I dont give it a go, I might regret it. As My friend whose a MW has said, if I indeed have a narrow pubic arch then it wont work but at least I have tried. But I am specifying that I dont want Induction (lowers the chances) nor do I want trial of ventouse or forceps. Plus if i go more then 12 days overdue then I will reconsider. I feel its something I need to try. Now to decide where to have it. I always said that for VBAC I did not want to return to the Norfolk and Norwich because of memories and traumatic ones at that, whereas C Section, Id not really be in DS just recovery and theatre. But daves pushing for me to go there as he believes its the best. Statistically it is better then James Paget (Gt Yarmouth) and QE (Kings Lynn) and antenatally I am already booked there......plus the distance thing too. what to do?!

--

xx

So glad you are enjoying the course and I cant believe Bella is at school! MAD, where does time go x
Reply 533
Guys is it true that going from 1 to 2 children is the hardest transition? PMP said it a few weeks ago and it's freaked me out. I found going from 0 to 1 was v.v.v.hard.
Reply 534
I found it much easier than I was expecting tbh.H is 2 years and 3 months older than M, which was a nice gap.He helped me look after M, getting th changing matt and bag things like that.I breastfed M but H would sit by us on the sofa and have a drink from his cup.My 2 are close, and they have always been together, its not harder to have one more imo.

There is only 15 months between myself and my brother, mum had sections both times and didnt breastfeed but she said it was easier to have 2 of us.
Original post by Tufts
Guys is it true that going from 1 to 2 children is the hardest transition? PMP said it a few weeks ago and it's freaked me out. I found going from 0 to 1 was v.v.v.hard.

I think it's different for everyone. I found 0-1 much, much harder than 1-2, you're sorted with breastfeeding, used to lack of sleep, used to being emotional, used to the general demands of babies, you already have a well established routine and you now have a great support network of friends with babies. Your whole lifestyle isn't completely taken over and changed. With your first you have to change everything about your lives to suit them, but your life is now already child-friendly so the baby will just fit in to that. It just happens!

When Milly came along she just slotted in and I really wondered to myself why it was SO hard the first time. Although, I will admit Milly was a very good sleeper so that helped a lot.

I think you'll have it great Tufts, the hardest bit going from 1-2 when you've got a small age gap is when the younger one starts to move, then it becomes a lot more taxing and tiring. I found I had to rely on Bella to be more responsible than her only child similar aged peers, which initially incited guilt, but actually was quite beneficial to her and I think the increased (not too much!) responsibility gave her quite a lot of confidence.

It's also hard at first when the baby is very small and feeding a lot, you feel that you want to be playing with the older one but you're feeding so can't, don't feel guilty, the first few weeks (or even months) is adjusting the baby in! Other people can give the older child lots of attention but no-one else can feed your younger one. (although we did a lot of reading, and the bouncing chair/bumbo with tray became a lifesaver for play time!) So don't give yourself a hard time, like I did!

I absolutely love having 2 and hopefully you will too! :smile:
Reply 536
Thanks guys. You've eased my fears.

Amy is a good sleeper. We put her down at 8.30pm and she'll sleep/play in her cot quietly until 9.30am. Will this be disrupted with a crying newborn in the next room?
Original post by Tufts

sorry hun I didn't mean to scare you - it was like that for me but that doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. It's a personal thing xx

well we're back in the UK. Got back Friday. Then we've just celebrated Jason's 2nd birthday yesterday and today is Lydia's 6th birthday. AAH the madness!
Welcome back PMP :smile: Hope you had a good holiday :biggrin:
thank you. yes it was lovely. gorgeous weather - it seems I've brought it back with me too as we are predicted 25-28 degrees by midweek in the UK! *jiggles happily*.

We went out to the handmade burger co. for Jason's birthday, and today Lydia had some friends over for a mini party. She only invited 3 kids from school but we ended up with half the neighbourhood in our house regardless!

We're thinking of getting a puppy. eek! Going to have a look at some tomorrow. Lhasa Apso cross Papillon. There are two girls left from the litter. I'm exited but kind of terrified!

Quick Reply

Latest