The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I recently posted how successful we had been after our 3 months apart internationally. Me and my OH got together at university so are in an LDR over summer and non uni term time, the longest so far has been 3 months apart. As we've got into our final year we spoke about where our future lies as we need to start applying for jobs pretty soon and he was all for staying together and moving abroad to work when I spoke to him last month and said he would think about it in more depth and talk about it when we get back to uni, so the outcome looked pretty positive I thought he would just be thinking things up realistically/logistics etc.... how wrong I was! He turns around and tells me that he wants to live alone after uni and the foreseable future - I could understand living apart at first but he's turned round and said he alwayd wants to live on his own, and he also said he doesn't want children which pretty much broke my heart in two. The children thing I can deal with, it's something that might hopefully change over time, but the living together thing shows we have no future together if this is what he wants, to be alone. I ended it last night but that realised I had made a mistake and we've decide to stay together for the rest of uni - it feels like a ticking time bomb and it's horrible, but it feels better then to have lost him altogether right now. I don't know what to do, I've suggested that I would compromise things for him but he won't do the same back, I've suggested apartments with two rooms so he can have his own space, having a gradual move in together, but nothing seems to be working - I am at wits end of what to do :frown:
Reply 6361
Helloo, I'm starting uni next week, and my boyfriend the week after, and we've decided to go for a 'there's no point breaking up for the sake of uni, but if at uni it's not working out, then would be the time to break up' and I'm not looking forward to it one bit! Saturday will be the last time I see him, and then we will be at quite literally opposite ends of the country- oh wait, not even the country, the UK! (Exeter to St Andrews). So I don't think I'll see him until Christmas holidays after this :frown: And I'm not going to be happy on Saturday! It's odd, the closer I'm getting to leaving, the more I realise I really love him and don't want to be so far apart for so long! Oh well, wish us luck!
Reply 6362
Original post by Kayak
Helloo, I'm starting uni next week, and my boyfriend the week after, and we've decided to go for a 'there's no point breaking up for the sake of uni, but if at uni it's not working out, then would be the time to break up' and I'm not looking forward to it one bit! Saturday will be the last time I see him, and then we will be at quite literally opposite ends of the country- oh wait, not even the country, the UK! (Exeter to St Andrews). So I don't think I'll see him until Christmas holidays after this :frown: And I'm not going to be happy on Saturday! It's odd, the closer I'm getting to leaving, the more I realise I really love him and don't want to be so far apart for so long! Oh well, wish us luck!

Good luck :smile: I will be in a similar situation as I'm going abroad to Japan for a year in 3 weeks, and my boyfriend is staying behind. He's booked flights to see me at Christmas, so it's going to be a long 3 month wait!

I am trying not to worry too much - it's only temporary and if it's right it will work out. Your first term at uni will fly by, you will be swept away with making friends, starting your course, and going out. All the best!
Reply 6363
Original post by kat91s
Good luck :smile: I will be in a similar situation as I'm going abroad to Japan for a year in 3 weeks, and my boyfriend is staying behind. He's booked flights to see me at Christmas, so it's going to be a long 3 month wait!

I am trying not to worry too much - it's only temporary and if it's right it will work out. Your first term at uni will fly by, you will be swept away with making friends, starting your course, and going out. All the best!

And so will you, in Japan. You'll have an epic time: don't let your LDR drag you down or depress you!

No offense to girls at all, but I've always thought that guys are much more straight forwards. If a guy's in a LDR, it's because he LIKES YOU A LOT. He's not going to suddenly find a substitute, get bored of you, or decide to be gay.
I find girls slightly less predictable, to be completely honest :s-smilie:
If your BFs in a LDR, chances are that he's not going to cheat on you, and he's not going to get bored of the situation either.
Could anyone give me advice? It would be much appreciated :smile:

Me and a girl have known each other for a while but only recently started a relationship within the last couple of weeks. It is only two weeks until we go to University and we are unable to decide whether to make our relationship 'official' to the world and try long distance or to let it fizzle out by itself. We both really like each other but our Universities are an expensive 4-hour train journey apart and it would kill us both to only see each other every month or so, but that is what we'd have to do. What are other people's experience of this sort of situation?
Original post by C_B_C
And so will you, in Japan. You'll have an epic time: don't let your LDR drag you down or depress you!

No offense to girls at all, but I've always thought that guys are much more straight forwards. If a guy's in a LDR, it's because he LIKES YOU A LOT. He's not going to suddenly find a substitute, get bored of you, or decide to be gay.
I find girls slightly less predictable, to be completely honest :s-smilie:
If your BFs in a LDR, chances are that he's not going to cheat on you, and he's not going to get bored of the situation either.

I think that's a bit simplistic. And tbh it is quite offensive/patronising, I'm sure there are a lot of girls who have found themselves in a situation exactly like the ones you just said wouldn't happen. Not saying it happens all the time, or even that often, but you can't say that just because a guy is in an LDR he'll be faithful and loving etc. Relationships can break down whether you live 5 minutes or 5000 miles apart. I also find the 'decide to be gay' part a bit offensive but that's another story.

Original post by Anonymous

Me and a girl have known each other for a while but only recently started a relationship within the last couple of weeks. It is only two weeks until we go to University and we are unable to decide whether to make our relationship 'official' to the world and try long distance or to let it fizzle out by itself. We both really like each other but our Universities are an expensive 4-hour train journey apart and it would kill us both to only see each other every month or so, but that is what we'd have to do. What are other people's experience of this sort of situation?

I met a guy on a night out and we were in an LDR from the start. Just because you've not been together for long doesn't mean it won't work. We were also about 4 hours apart by train and we usually went between 2 and 4 weeks between visits. Railcards really help with the expense. If it was me I think I'd stay together and see what happens, I think breaking up before you're ready would be really hard. But it depends what you two want, if a fresh start and freedom in Freshers' is important to you then maybe you should break up now.
Reply 6366
Original post by New...Romantic
I think that's a bit simplistic.And tbh it is quite offensive/patronising, I'm sure there are a lot of girls who have found themselves in a situation exactly like the ones you just said wouldn't happen. Not saying it happens all the time, or even that often, but you can't say that just because a guy is in an LDR he'll be faithful and loving etc.

I've been walking through the LDR forum for years now, and honestly, my conclusion is that if a guy's in an LDR he's taking it dead seriously: he wouldn't be there in the first place if not.

I remember a couple of cases where the guy's cheated and then tried to hide it (which never works), but it tends to be the girls.

This really isn't a criticism, it's just a generalization: I know well that not all girls are un-solid and I know that not all guys are straight forwards.

I think girls are just slightly less sure of themselvs, and their feelings can change more easily than a guys.

Relationships can break down whether you live 5 minutes or 5000 miles apart. I also find the 'decide to be gay' part a bit offensive but that's another story.

I've honestly heard of a few cases where a girl's worried if her BF might be gay or not. Try not to get offended over a joke :wink:
(if you do, never, ever, go on sikipedia)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6367
Original post by Anonymous

This decision's entirely up to you: no one can tell you if you should try out a relationship or not.

4 hours is a long time, yeah, but I know plenty of people further away from eachother that make it work.

On the other hand, trying out a long distance relationship can end up hurting, and maybe even disturb your social life at Uni a bit.
If you're not 100% sure about this girl, I'd ask you to consider this seriously!
Original post by C_B_C
I've been walking through the LDR forum for years now, and honestly, my conclusion is that if a guy's in an LDR he's taking it dead seriously: he wouldn't be there in the first place if not.

I remember a couple of cases where the guy's cheated and then tried to hide it (which never works), but it tends to be the girls.

This really isn't a criticism, it's just a generalization: I know well that not all girls are un-solid and I know that not all guys are straight forwards.

I think girls are just slightly less sure of themselvs, and their feelings can change more easily than a guys.

I've honestly heard of a few cases where a girl's worried if her BF might be gay or not. Try not to get offended over a joke :wink:
(if you do, never, ever, go on sikipedia)

Well yeah but don't you think the guys posting on a forum for advice are going to be taking it seriously? I was talking about people in general. For example I know a girl in an LDR who went out for dinner with her boyfriend and another couple to celebrate the other couple's engagement and while they were out he told her he was moving to Australia :| In two weeks :| And not planning on coming back.

What you meant makes more sense now, the way you said it didn't seem like you realised it was a massive generalisation. And I didn't realise that was a joke, sometimes relationships do break up because one of them is gay. Happened to my friend. And it sometimes happens to married people too, so it's not necessarily a silly worry.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wonder if someone could give me their two cents on this. Would be much appreciated. :smile:

Have been in an LDR for nearly a year now, and the relationship itself is about that old as well. Been friends for a year longer than that as well. So far, things have been pretty smooth sailing, despite than fact that my boyfriend is in a different country (10000 bloody miles away!) and our time zones are 8 hours apart. We've both put in max effort and played by the rules: Calls every day, complete disclosure, ect ect.

But that was when we were both in college.

Now, I'm going to uni but he's still in college. (We're the same age though, and it would take a loooong time to explain why) And I honest to goodness want to make this work. I have absolutely no urge whatsoever to end this relationship. But I've seen countless couples who never make the transition from college to uni.

One of the things I'm afraid might wreck havoc with our relationship is my ah...insecurity. There, said it. Not easy to admit. :s-smilie: Unfortunately, I get rather clingy sometimes when it comes to knowing who's with him and where he is. To do him extreme credit though, he has never once complained or even made passing comments about it. Even laughs about it when I bring it up. Seems perfectly okay with indulging me.
But I know that I've got to to fix it, especially with us entering a new phase and stuff. It's not fair on him, and I don't think he deserves it.

Fact is, I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing it. Thoughts?
Original post by Pearl_Lyng

One of the things I'm afraid might wreck havoc with our relationship is my ah...insecurity.... It's not fair on him, and I don't think he deserves it.

Fact is, I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing it. Thoughts?

im in a similar position, only im only entering my second week of LDR... well, second week of her being at uni, she moved down south a couple months ago. Im really struggling.
Im a few years older and start my Masters Degree in january, so in the meantime i have very little to do, my mates are either in uni or working full time, and she's not here.
I also get very insecure, i feel clingy, i feel like im probably pushing her away rather than anything. I spend most of my time checking my phone, checking facebook, or wandering what she's up to. But i dont know how much contact is too much for someone thats just moved away, i dont want to be calling her constantly or anything. We do use skype quite often, and she does phone too. But its the waiting 6 hours for a reply to a message or whatever that i cant stand. I hate this LDR business...
Reply 6371
Heyy, i'm going to be in a similar situation, going to Uni in York in less then a month and my boyfriend will be here in Essex-with no money to get a train. I believe you can make anything work if you really want to-i just hope i'm right! Every time I'm not with him I think 'Oh it'll be fine, time will go fast' etc but whenever i'm with him and think about this I get really sad. It shouldn't ruin my time at uni but I really don't know how it's going to work and how i'll cope. Anyone's LDR worked or any tips? Thanksss
I feel like a bit of a phony posting in this thread because my boyfriend and I are only about 80 miles apart, but because we've both come from a small town it does seem quite far :colondollar: But I guess this is our story so far.

We've been together since December 2009 and I can count on one hand the amount of arguments we've had, he's so important to me. We didn't officially decide to go 'long-distance' until he moved at the end of August, but I've already been to visit him twice and everything was exactly the same as it was at home, it felt really normal being with him. It's nice knowing that at pretty much any time of the day I can get on a bus and be with him in about 2 hours. To be honest, we maybe only saw each other 2 or 3 times a week at home so it's not a massive change (we talk every single day, though) I think we'll try to see each other every other weekend :smile: He's coming to visit me on the weekend of the 1st of October and it seems really far away now but hopefully it'll come around quickly!

His course is 5 years long and mine is only 4 so I'd love to eventually move to his city after graduating, but that's a very long time away hah!
(edited 12 years ago)
So my relationship is insanely long distance, 4000 miles between Florida and England... But we have been doing it for over a year and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me :smile: Lot's of Skype dates and texting helps but he has flown over to see me a couple times since we met and I saw him when my family went to Europe this summer. Planning a trip to see him in December though and we're planning on this being the last LONG stretch without seeing each other. Might even score a study abroad in London next year... :smile: Transatlantic relationships are rough but extremely possible if you think someone is worth it :smile:
OK. So I need some help, guys :erm:

My boyfriend is moving to go to university 300 miles away (could totally write a song about that..) and before he goes, I'm wanting to build a little "going-away pack" for him.

Going-away pack: Noun, Singular
A box with lots of little presents inside for him to open on the train or in his new room or something. Presents can be anything from cutlery and plates for his kitchen, to hand-crafted cards for his desk.

I've thought of a few ideas (feel free to steal) but would really appreciate some more;

Packaging;
I'm going to get a shoe box, wrap it in old-fashioned brown paper, stick some vintage looking stamps on it, and tie it up with some string. I'm then going to get some pretty vintage-looking wrapping paper to line the inside of the shoe box with. ..chances are that he won't even notice but I just like making things look pretty :mmm: oh, and I'm also going to stick a printed photo of the two of us on the inside of the lid.

Inside stuff;

First of all, a card is the most obvious thing - I'll buy a little sweet post-card to write a message about how much I'll miss him, etc..

He's is awful in the morning. Nothing can wake him up! So I was thinking something useful like this. What are people's thoughts?

I also want something for fresher's week. Something fun to show that he can still have a good time even if he's in a relationship. Nothing alcohol-related (as I don't drink) but something that would be more "fun" rather than generically "romantic".. ideas?

Also, there's a mug at my flat that's kind of "his".. he always uses it. So I was thinking of putting that in his box to use at uni.

I'll update as I think of more but please quote me and add something else (or comment on what I've already put) :h: Cheers guys!

N.B. Bear in mind that everything has to fit inside a shoe box..
Original post by tsr-member

My boyfriend is moving to go to university 300 miles away (could totally write a song about that..) and before he goes, I'm wanting to build a little "going-away pack" for him.

A box with lots of little presents inside for him to open on the train or in his new room or something. Presents can be anything from cutlery and plates for his kitchen, to hand-crafted cards for his desk.

I've thought of a few ideas (feel free to steal) but would really appreciate some more;

Packaging;
I'm going to get a shoe box, wrap it in old-fashioned brown paper, stick some vintage looking stamps on it, and tie it up with some string. I'm then going to get some pretty vintage-looking wrapping paper to line the inside of the shoe box with. ..chances are that he won't even notice but I just like making things look pretty :mmm: oh, and I'm also going to stick a printed photo of the two of us on the inside of the lid.

Inside stuff;

First of all, a card is the most obvious thing - I'll buy a little sweet post-card to write a message about how much I'll miss him, etc..

He's is awful in the morning. Nothing can wake him up! So I was thinking something useful like this. What are people's thoughts?

I also want something for fresher's week. Something fun to show that he can still have a good time even if he's in a relationship. Nothing alcohol-related (as I don't drink) but something that would be more "fun" rather than generically "romantic".. ideas?

Also, there's a mug at my flat that's kind of "his".. he always uses it. So I was thinking of putting that in his box to use at uni.

I'll update as I think of more but please quote me and add something else (or comment on what I've already put) :h: Cheers guys!

Oooh! Amazing idea! :biggrin: I made something similar for my boyfriend before we parted.

I think those are great things to include. But how about something more personal as well? Like some kind of memento that reminds him of you? (Best thing would be one of your shirts that carries a bit of your perfume. Not sure if that would occupy too much space though)
Original post by Pearl_Lyng
Oooh! Amazing idea! :biggrin: I made something similar for my boyfriend before we parted.

I think those are great things to include. But how about something more personal as well? Like some kind of memento that reminds him of you? (Best thing would be one of your shirts that carries a bit of your perfume. Not sure if that would occupy too much space though)

Ohh, I hadn't thought of that :yep: it's an awesome idea! And there is in-fact a perfume that I always wear (a Paris Hilton one :blush: ..please refrain from judging - it smells lush!) but as you say, fitting a shirt or something inside the box might be problematic..
I have a few thin scarves I wear - could perhaps spritz one of those and put it in?
...OR just spray the inside of the box before putting all the presents in. ..not sure if the scent will stay particularly nice like that though..
What do you think?

:dontknow:
Ohh, I hadn't thought of that :yep: it's an awesome idea! And there is in-fact a perfume that I always wear (a Paris Hilton one :blush: ..please refrain from judging - it smells lush!) but as you say, fitting a shirt or something inside the box might be problematic..
I have a few thin scarves I wear - could perhaps spritz one of those and put it in?
...OR just spray the inside of the box before putting all the presents in. ..not sure if the scent will stay particularly nice like that though..
What do you think?

:dontknow:

Hmm...I'd go with the scarf if you have enough space. That way, he can drape it on his pillow or something, and you can rest assured that you'll be the last thing on his mind before he falls asleep. :wink:

Unless he's not that sentimental. Then spritzing the box might work just as well. :biggrin:
Argh I feel like crying right now :frown:

I've been in an LDR since me and my boyfriend first got together in June. He's just started medicine at Warwick and doesn't seem to have any time for me anymore. Even on MSN I get one word replies, he says it's because he's not used to balancing the workload with me at the moment, but I am off to Italy for Erasmus on Tuesday and I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to have a conversation with him. It's my last few days of freedom.. I so desperately want this to work out, I'd be so devastated if I lost him because everything seems so perfect when we're together :frown: Hugs needed.

Packaging;

Inside stuff;

Condoms :rolleyes: sorry just bitter from experience...
Does he drink? Doesn't matter if you don't. Thats going to be the way to show him he can still have fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending