The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Florence Boot Hall Freshers :)

Scroll to see replies

If you get a room on the ground floor a clothes horse is a really bad idea. You can't leave your window open and the damp is horrid. I found out the hard way, my room stank of damp etc when I got back at the end of the day :sadnod:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
Cheers guys, I'll bear all that in mind :smile:
OMG...after reading this I feel so under prepared! My list for uni was clothes, laptop, toiletaries/towel, a few books and stationary and maybe spare bedsheets.

And im thinking to myself what the hell is a clothes horse? just something to dry clothes with?!?!

oh well I guess its all part of the experience; forgetting stuff and finding out later! lol
Reply 83
Original post by Ace_of_Spades
OMG...after reading this I feel so under prepared! My list for uni was clothes, laptop, toiletaries/towel, a few books and stationary and maybe spare bedsheets.

And im thinking to myself what the hell is a clothes horse? just something to dry clothes with?!?!

oh well I guess its all part of the experience; forgetting stuff and finding out later! lol

I'm only thinking about it because I'm going shopping for uni stuff soon and I don't want to forget loads of stuff!

Clothes horse:
Original post by Rachel08
I'm only thinking about it because I'm going shopping for uni stuff soon and I don't want to forget loads of stuff!

Clothes horse:

yh, my point is that maybe I should start thinking about it...Oh and thanks for the pic. I have one of those, just never knew what it was called, lol!
You don't necessarily have to take this as writ for each item, but it gives a pretty comprehensive list of most things you might well need.
I know a couple of things made me think 'oh yeah, that would be a good idea' this time last year :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University
Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
You don't necessarily have to take this as writ for each item, but it gives a pretty comprehensive list of most things you might well need.
I know a couple of things made me think 'oh yeah, that would be a good idea' this time last year :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

wow thanks for posting that list. It has given me a lot to think about, lol!
Reply 87
Who do I email about extending my payment deadline as my loan doesn't come in until after 26 September???

Nice to get a Welcome Guide in the post today, makes life a little bit easier.
Original post by WitwickyDZ
Who do I email about extending my payment deadline as my loan doesn't come in until after 26 September???

Nice to get a Welcome Guide in the post today, makes life a little bit easier.

Hey :smile:

If you send an email to [email protected] with the subject Payment Plan, and just ask if you can have an extension on the first payment. You will probably need to attach evidence of your loan, so a screen shot of the confirmation page from the Student Finance website will probably be fine :smile:

Awww, did you get yours today? I remember how excited I was getting that in the post last year!
Reply 89
Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
Hey :smile:

If you send an email to [email protected] with the subject Payment Plan, and just ask if you can have an extension on the first payment. You will probably need to attach evidence of your loan, so a screen shot of the confirmation page from the Student Finance website will probably be fine :smile:

Awww, did you get yours today? I remember how excited I was getting that in the post last year!

Thanks, I sent an email but I put it under "Extended Deadline Required", with a screenshot of StudentFinance payment dates. I hope its not a problem.

Yeaah!! Pretty excited now, and 4 weeks seems like miles away.

Nottingham Uni sounds epic, my course is perfectly tailored to my liking, my accommodation at Florence Boot has 'second to none' stamped all over it, and FulhamFC are in the Europa League; life is bliss for now but I know i've just jinxed it.
Reply 90
ummmmm how big is a bed in a large single study as in is it a single or double size bed....... n if possible can some1 give me measurements aswell??
Reply 91
Yeah true, i'm in a single study, will I have a double or single?
Original post by WitwickyDZ

Yeahh, that'll be fine :smile:
I imagine you've probably heard back from them by now anyway, they're quite quick at responding.

Those four weeks will go so quickly, you'll be there before you know it!
Haha, nah, you won't have jinxed it. I'm sure you're going to love it :smile:

Original post by Blink2662

The beds in large single study rooms are 3/4 sized. It's bigger than a single, but not quiiiiite as big as a double. I knew a guy who had one last year, and both the room and the bed were really nice and spacious :smile:
Hah, I don't know exact measurements, sorry... Taking a tape measure to the beds wasn't really my top priority when I got there :P

Original post by hazzern
Single study will just be a single bed :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by bambinooo
just got florence boot....and after reading this thread dead excited!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
single study...studying medicine...: look forward to meeting you all...good luck with exams :biggrin:

I'm studying medicine too! large single study room, so excited to here that fb is good!
Reply 94
I was wondering how the catered system works, do we get a food card or something with a certain amount of money on it so that we can buy food anywhere? I'm just wondering what happens if a lecture over-runs and you miss dinner time :smile:
Original post by Nyoung
I was wondering how the catered system works, do we get a food card or something with a certain amount of money on it so that we can buy food anywhere? I'm just wondering what happens if a lecture over-runs and you miss dinner time :smile:

Heya :smile:

I think your question has mostly been answered on the Facebook page, but I may as well put an answer here anyway just in case anyone else missed it.

Your university card, which allows you to gain access to the hall itself and the main libraries, also acts as a meal card. Last year the card was topped up with £4.90 per day (although it sounds like it might be a different amount this year) which you could use in any of the cafes/Mix bars across any of the campuses, and can be used at any time of day. This means that you don't have to worry about missing your lunch if a lecture runs over, because the cafes are open all day. You also don't have to spend it all in one go either, so you could spread it out across the day and even get a drink from one place, a sandwich from another, a bag of crisps from another if you wanted to :smile:

In the evening you have to show your card when you go to collect your dinner back in FloBo, but this is separate from the rest of the day and doesn't get deducted from the £4.90. The evening meal is served between 5.30 and 7.00pm on weekdays, so even if your lecture finishes at 6 you should have plenty of time to get food.

Hope this helps!
Reply 96
Hi, quick question, how much shelf space is there (thinking about books and dvds)?
I'm trying to start packing!
Reply 97
whose bringing a t.v? I might bring the xbox up for some fifa!
Reply 98
Original post by hazzern
whose bringing a t.v? I might bring the xbox up for some fifa!

Unfortunately i don't have my own tv :frown: But would be up for some xboxing!!
Reply 99
Hey I have a few questions.

1. Do the rooms/bathrooms have sockets for electronic shavers or do wen need to get a converter?
2. What kind of stuff should I get for bedding or should I just get covers for them?
3. What will the first few hours be like, I'm fairly nervous about this - right after we settle into our rooms what are people doing straight after?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending