The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JKing
Guysss, only started considering Cambridge (Economics) today. Do you think I may be too late ?
Esp because I haven't done my personal statement nor visited the uni to see the colleges.
Took Economics, History, Maths and French(dropped this subject)

Thanks.

You've got around a month until the application deadline so no I wouldn't say that it's too late.
Reply 2801
Original post by JKing
Guysss, only started considering Cambridge (Economics) today. Do you think I may be too late ?
Esp because I haven't done my personal statement nor visited the uni to see the colleges.
Took Economics, History, Maths and French(dropped this subject)

Thanks.

You have enough time, but you need to start your PS very soon so you can make sure it's not rushed :smile:
Reply 2802
Original post by alex_hk90
You've got around a month until the application deadline so no I wouldn't say that it's too late.

Original post by Tateco
You have enough time, but you need to start your PS very soon so you can make sure it's not rushed :smile:

Thank you. I never thought I'd apply to Oxbridge, therefore have little knowledge about their application processes.n Looks like I'm going to rely on tsr :smile:
Reply 2803
Original post by JKing
Thank you. I never thought I'd apply to Oxbridge, therefore have little knowledge about their application processes.n Looks like I'm going to rely on tsr :smile:

Well a lot of us on here have done a lot of research so ask if you need help :smile:

What are your academics like?
Reply 2804
Original post by Tateco
Well a lot of us on here have done a lot of research so ask if you need help :smile:

What are your academics like?

Alright, but not as good as everyone on here.
GCSE 6A*s, 4As
As Levels 3As, 2Bs

:colondollar:
Reply 2805
Original post by JKing
Alright, but not as good as everyone on here.
GCSE 6A*s, 4As
As Levels 3As, 2Bs

:colondollar:

They're great, don't be put off by people on here :smile:

What are your UMS like for the 3As at AS? (It seems it's one of the more prominent factors Cambridge considers)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2806
Original post by Tateco
They're great, don't be put off by people on here :smile:

What are your UMS like for the 3As at AS? (It is one of the more prominent factors Cambridge considers)

Aw thanks, nice to get some reassurance :smile:

Economics 171/200
History 186/200
Maths B 236/300 = Resitting two modules
French B- Didn't check the marks because I hated this subject + dropped it
The other A was in General Studies, I didn't even check the marks because I didn't care lol.
Reply 2807
Original post by JKing

Economics 171/200
History 186/200
The other A was in General Studies, I didn't even check the marks because I didn't care lol.

I'm going to be honest, you effectively have AABB, as they don't care for general studies, and having a B in Maths probably won't go down that well with Cambridge...
Reply 2808
Original post by Tateco
I'm going to be honest, you effectively have AABB, as they don't care for general studies, and having a B in Maths probably won't go down that well with Cambridge...

Yeah I've thought about it ( re: the B in Maths). Just that a few people I know claim that Cambridge don't emphasize on Maths as much as LSE and UCL. But yeah, you've got a perfectlyvalid point. Still thinking if I should apply but if I don't it's not the end of the world(esp because it wasn't an original choice) :smile:
Oxford and Cambridge applications

I know for Economics you have to take the TSA but what about Cambridge? Who here is planning to take the TSA? What steps do you need to take to get entered for it?

Do any other universities have entrance exams for economics?

Thnks
Reply 2810
Original post by jamiepango
How many books are you including altogether? Nice choices! Good luck with your application :tongue:

I'm currently in this dilemma as well. I was quite sure on York at first, however seeing as its about 5 hours away ( from south-east) I think it might be a bit too far for me.
So I'm still currently undecided :rolleyes:

Bear in mind also that York is AAB whilst Southampton is AAA at the moment.

I need to decide by tomorrow!!! :eek:

I always preferred Soton, but I was counting on it as my backup! AAA doesn't sound like a back-up...

Original post by -Illmatic-
Southampton. Cos York= Bad weather and So'ton= Good weather...

Nah but why you wanna go up north, bro?

I prefer Soton! :cool:
But York is AAB...
Original post by zaina94

But York is AAB...

Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

To get the AAB offer, I think it has something to do with widening participation i.e parents didnt go uni, under-represented background, sh*t school (im glad I fit in this category)

A girl I knew got an AAB offer from bristol even though a lot of people got A*AA purely cos of this :biggrin:
Original post by Mousebudden
Oxford and Cambridge applications

I know for Economics you have to take the TSA but what about Cambridge? Who here is planning to take the TSA? What steps do you need to take to get entered for it?

Do any other universities have entrance exams for economics?

Thnks

It's dependent on colleges. Look at individual college websites.

Original post by zaina94
I need to decide by tomorrow!!! :eek:

I always preferred Soton, but I was counting on it as my backup! AAA doesn't sound like a back-up...

But York is AAB...

York is actually AAA-AAB for 2012
Original post by Tateco
Which college at Cambridge? :u:

Pembroke, what about you mate?
Original post by JKing

Economics 171/200
History 186/200

LSE and UCL are fussy as in they want the A* in maths whereas some colleges in cambridge will let you off with an A
Reply 2815
Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

To get the AAB offer, I think it has something to do with widening participation i.e parents didnt go uni, under-represented background, sh*t school (im glad I fit in this category)

A girl I knew got an AAB offer from bristol even though a lot of people got A*AA purely cos of this :biggrin:

Makes me tempted to apply to Bristol :tongue:
So you're applying before the Oxbridge deadline?

I'm applying to Warwick, UCL, Bath, Bristol and one other. How about you?

yeah might as well do it soon!
How many books are you including altogether? Nice choices! Good luck with your application :tongue:

3! 1 book is referred in my personal statement briefly.. and thanks! where you applying?
Reply 2818
Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

I don't know really, I just read that off their site and saw it on here, but you're probably right! Since it was AAB-ABB before, if i remember rightly..

Lucky girl.. :rolleyes:

Original post by Psychotic546

York is actually AAA-AAB for 2012

Guess I'm back to Soton then!

Except I'm put off by the dissertation..
Reply 2819
Original post by funkydee
Pembroke, what about you mate?

Emma :u: Pembroke was my second favourite though and I nearly was going for it at one point :tongue:

Original post by zaina94
I don't know really, I just read that off their site and saw it on here, but you're probably right! Since it was AAB-ABB before, if i remember rightly..

Lucky girl.. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm back to Soton then!

Except I'm put off by the dissertation..

That's what put me off it too

Latest

Trending

Trending