The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billet-doux
I'm sure it beats our upper limb lectures next week! :tongue: Are they useful though?

Yeah its useful, don't wanna be starting blindly on the wards! Although without practice this will most likely still be the case.

Not gonna lie, happy I don't have to do year 2 again! Good luck!
4th year's into full swing and I'm drunk - :biggrin: :biggrin: -result!

Have I missed much? :p:
Original post by Mushi_master
Yeah its useful, don't wanna be starting blindly on the wards! Although without practice this will most likely still be the case.

Not gonna lie, happy I don't have to do year 2 again! Good luck!

Im happy i never have to do second year again.
I'll stick to my long days.

ECG made easy book i think thats what helps me alot. It takes me a while to get to know things. I think im a bit simple like that!
I've missed medicine
Reply 5564
Original post by Wangers
I've missed medicine
I've missed being awake in the daytime.
Original post by Wangers
I've missed medicine

I haven't. Back on the wards and got corraled for four hours of blood taking and portering. Back to reality!
Reply 5566
Original post by digitalis
I haven't. Back on the wards and got corraled for four hours of blood taking and portering. Back to reality!
I didn't know you were the on-call house officer.
First choice SSC for me, will be spending lots of time in Anaesthetics it seems.
I start at King's next week. Moved into my new place last weekend and the last few days have been something special. Here's to a good year I hope? I'm worried I'm going to balls it up. I worked so hard to be one of only ten from George's to be let out for the year as an external and I'm concerned I'm walking into this with the wrong attitude, i.e. as a social whore. I hope I find the right balance soon.

My lab project is awesome. I'm working with two supervisors. Really hope I can get a paper or my name on something this year. Fingers crossed!
Original post by i'm no superman
I start at King's next week. Moved into my new place last weekend and the last few days have been something special. Here's to a good year I hope? I'm worried I'm going to balls it up. I worked so hard to be one of only ten from George's to be let out for the year as an external and I'm concerned I'm walking into this with the wrong attitude, i.e. as a social whore. I hope I find the right balance soon.

My lab project is awesome. I'm working with two supervisors. Really hope I can get a paper or my name on something this year. Fingers crossed!

St Georges only let 10 people from your year intercalate :O! I'd say enjoy it for now :smile: its meant to be a break from Medicine, but mine is far from that - I have to work every weekend til end of October but get this weekend off yay so I say make the most of it whilst you can! Also presented a mock poster today... but erm did it landscape instead of portrait :colondollar: silly mistake. I must say I have found it hard to get back into lab-mode like back in A-levels (though it doesn't compare!) but its so much more enjoyable than Medicine!

What lab project are you doing if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
St Georges only let 10 people from your year intercalate :O! I'd say enjoy it for now :smile: its meant to be a break from Medicine, but mine is far from that - I have to work every weekend til end of October but get this weekend off yay so I say make the most of it whilst you can! Also presented a mock poster today... but erm did it landscape instead of portrait :colondollar: silly mistake. I must say I have found it hard to get back into lab-mode like back in A-levels (though it doesn't compare!) but its so much more enjoyable than Medicine!

What lab project are you doing if you don't mind me asking?
They only allowed 10 people to take up their offers to intercalate at other universities! About 40 had offers too. Are you intercalating at Leicester?

My project is about abarrent RNA processing and the role of the cytoskeleton in neurodegeneration. :smile:
They only allowed 10 people to take up their offers to intercalate at other universities! About 40 had offers too. Are you intercalating at Leicester?

My project is about abarrent RNA processing and the role of the cytoskeleton in neurodegeneration. :smile:

Oh my gosh :O I think Leicester allowed everyone to intercalate internally and externally provided they met the academic requirements and the iBSc was suitable, is there a reason they only allow 10? But congratulations :biggrin: have heard great things about Kings!

Yep :smile: doing a full year of research, we have two iBSc's - ones the traditional modules + project + exam and the other is doing a full year of lab work concentrating on one aspect of research + thesis + viva. Mine is measuring cardiac tissue damage and biological ageing post breast cancer radiotherapy. Bit of a mix of subjects :smile:

Yours sounds very interesting indeed! I'd never considered the cytoskeleton in neurodegenerative diseases before, had always just thought about genetic diseases and faults in DNA/RNA production etc. Also have heard they have a brain bank and a mrc centre for neurodegenerative diseases!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5572

Very exciting stuff - that's what the evidence is pointing towards at the minute, right?

I've got an interview this afternoon for the ibsc project I want, not really sure what to expect :holmes:
Man this virology lecture is killing me. So happy this intro week is almost over.
Can anyone get me the full text of this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18364569 please.

Will be eternally thankful and give positive rep for a week :colondollar:
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Can anyone get me the full text of this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18364569 please.

Will be eternally thankful and give positive rep for a week :colondollar:

http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/cbt/05SprungCBT7-5.pdf ?

Brilliant thank you :smile: it would only give me the abstract in pdf but that's great! Your rep starts from today :smile:
Reply 5577

I too shall make sure to give you a nudge in case NCBI starts throwing those evil abstracts at me again... :P
Original post by Renal
I didn't know you were the on-call house officer.

Not yet, would like to have invoiced for a few hours of phleb wages though!
Reply 5579
Amazing day.. cannot ****ing wait for clinical years.. now taken enough bloods that I no longer get nervous, put in some IVs, took ABGs for the first time, did an ECG all by myself (PROUD) haha. Pre-clinical --> :nn:

Latest

Trending

Trending