Original post by Illusionary
:yep:

Spoiler

Third from the left there, for example.

Have I actually posted here before or just lurked? :ninja: If the latter, :hi:

Stalking me. :sly:

P.S :ta:
Original post by Tathrim
Finally, how do people fins having two Win OSes and one Linux OS on the same hard disk?

EDIT: virtualization isn't an option for one machine and I'd like to take advantage of the touch features on that machine.Its processor doesn't support Win 8 virtualized.

Not quite sure what you're saying here...
How many/what machines do you have?

Not sure if this answering what you're asking, but I'm never one to miss an opportunity to whinge.
Linux support for everything is iffy until it's practically old (alright, slight misrepresentation but my bias is hardly hidden), so I wouldn't want to trust a Windows 8 installation to any linux bootloader...
I've had a couple of different methods in the past when I haven't wanted grub/lilo stomping all over my boot sectors, but that was back in the days of XP when Linux installations cheerily defaulted to wiping your entire disk and dual booting was patchy at best. My setup's much more vanilla nowadays so I've not really delved into it recently. Can't hurt to take to take a copy of your MBR at each stage though...

As an aside, virtualbox has an option for an 'absolute pointing device' and gives an example of a usb tablet if that's of any help. Never used multitouch devices so I don't know.
Reply 9682
Original post by Chrosson
Not quite sure what you're saying here...
How many/what machines do you have?

Not sure if this answering what you're asking, but I'm never one to miss an opportunity to whinge.
Linux support for everything is iffy until it's practically old (alright, slight misrepresentation but my bias is hardly hidden), so I wouldn't want to trust a Windows 8 installation to any linux bootloader...
I've had a couple of different methods in the past when I haven't wanted grub/lilo stomping all over my boot sectors, but that was back in the days of XP when Linux installations cheerily defaulted to wiping your entire disk and dual booting was patchy at best. My setup's much more vanilla nowadays so I've not really delved into it recently. Can't hurt to take to take a copy of your MBR at each stage though...

As an aside, virtualbox has an option for an 'absolute pointing device' and gives an example of a usb tablet if that's of any help. Never used multitouch devices so I don't know.

I have a desktop that's an i5 2500K, and that PC has no problems with virtualistion. I also have a TouchSmart laptop which doesn't have a processor that supports the virtualisation technology Intel provides on chip, a requirement of Win 8 in a VM. This means a native install for the TouchSmart.

I would also like to be running some form of Linux distribution alongside both 7 and 8, so I was wondering what the best way to go about this was. IF it turns out to be impossible, the Win 8 dev build will just stay on the desktop in a VM. It's no big deal, I just want to muck about with designs.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-passwords-are-not-case-sensitive-update/3612

Tested and verified :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:. Must be something to keep the n00bz happ3h.
Original post by ch0llima

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-passwords-are-not-case-sensitive-update/3612

Tested and verified :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:. Must be something to keep the n00bz happ3h.

:lolwut:

Out of interest, how do they manage to do that? Do they hash three different versions of the user's password when they first sign up?
Another link for you all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14896330. Skynet rises...

Original post by secretmessages
:lolwut:

Out of interest, how do they manage to do that? Do they hash three different versions of the user's password when they first sign up?

I'm guessing it must be three hashes, because storing the plaintext and performing ucase/lcase on the inputs from the front end would be spectacularly stupid. If you changed your password then it would have to recompute all three hashes and possibly add a newly generated random salt, if those are used (I hope so... :pierre:)

I'm guessing it must be three hashes, because storing the plaintext and performing ucase/lcase on the inputs from the front end would be spectacularly stupid. If you changed your password then it would have to recompute all three hashes and possibly add a newly generated random salt, if those are used (I hope so... :pierre:)

Those were my thoughts too, hmm :beard:

----

Does anyone here know anything about TV tuners? I'd like to buy one for uni this year because my iMac doesn't have one built in like my old computer did. I don't want anything too expensive, I just need something that works, but I don't know how to know in advance that it's going to be compatible and do what I want it to do :erm:
Reply 9687
Another link for you all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14896330. Skynet rises...

They could just store one hash, then transform the entered password into the 3 possibilities (normal case, reverse case, Title case), then hash the 3 entry passwords and compare. Probably be easier that way (and saves storing redundant data).
Well that's my Microsoft placement application sent.

And I completed it on Ubuntu :colone:
Original post by Dez
They could just store one hash, then transform the entered password into the 3 possibilities (normal case, reverse case, Title case), then hash the 3 entry passwords and compare. Probably be easier that way (and saves storing redundant data).

I'm probably being dumb and missing the obvious (it's been a long day), but surely, if only one hash is stored then there's no way of verifying the other two inputs following their transformation? Which hash are you storing initially?

Original post by Wednesday Bass
Well that's my Microsoft placement application sent.

And I completed it on Ubuntu :colone:

Is that the one that came through on Milkround? It seems very tempting - my CV could use a boost and fat chance of getting a decently paid proper job anytime soon :pierre: :colonhash:
Is that the one that came through on Milkround? It seems very tempting - my CV could use a boost and fat chance of getting a decently paid proper job anytime soon :pierre: :colonhash:

I picked it up off Targetjobs. I've got a placement year after this one, so I thought I'd try get a headstart on some applications and Microsoft popped up while I was looking.
I'm probably being dumb and missing the obvious (it's been a long day), but surely, if only one hash is stored then there's no way of verifying the other two inputs following their transformation? Which hash are you storing initially?

Store a hash of the initial password.

Then you just have to apply reverse transformations when a user enters the password. Consider the steps that you would need to take in each of the scenarios of permitted entry mistakes -
1) Hash the password as entered by the user and check for a match.
2) Flip the capitalisation of the entered password and hash that and check for a match (because this is symmetric).
3) Decapitalise the first letter of the entered password, then hash and compare that.
Store a hash of the initial password.

Then you just have to apply reverse transformations when a user enters the password. Consider the steps that you would need to take in each of the scenarios of permitted entry mistakes -
1) Hash the password as entered by the user and check for a match.
2) Flip the capitalisation of the entered password and hash that and check for a match (because this is symmetric).
3) Decapitalise the first letter of the entered password, then hash and compare that.

Right, I was definitely being a dumbass. You could do all of the above in some kind of conditional construct; if all three conditions fail, you got the password wrong :wizard: For some reason this didn't click with me the first time it was brought up :colonhash:

My brain doesn't work anymore and I feel really slow most of the time these days :sadnod:
(edited 12 years ago)
Right, I was definitely being a dumbass. You could do all of the above in some kind of conditional construct; if all three conditions fail, you got the password wrong :wizard: For some reason this didn't click with me the first time it was brought up :colonhash:

My brain doesn't work anymore and I feel really slow most of the time these days :sadnod:

Another of the side effects of getting old :teehee:
Greetings peeps,

So it’s approaching loan time and I’m in dire need of a computer upgrade. I'm seeking a new motherboard which supports i5 Sandy Bridge, USB 3, 8+ RAM. All the good stuff.

Now I know when I built a friends system many, many months ago the ASUS P8P67 was the board to get. But I’m wondering if there have been any successors or better boards that have come out since?

Any tips will be appreciated.
Reply 9695
Original post by Iain 815
Greetings peeps,

So it’s approaching loan time and I’m in dire need of a computer upgrade. I'm seeking a new motherboard which supports i5 Sandy Bridge, USB 3, 8+ RAM. All the good stuff.

Now I know when I built a friends system many, many months ago the ASUS P8P67 was the board to get. But I’m wondering if there have been any successors or better boards that have come out since?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Is this to match the SLC's new system requirements? :awesome:
Just bought a load of new upgrades for my computer.
AMD 6 core 3.3GHz chip, 8Gb RAM and an NVidia 560 (which happens to come with a copy of Arkham City when it's out).

Win.
Had a brief play with the Windows 8 Developer Preview. I like Metro when it's on the Zune and WP7 and it would make a great tablet OS, but it feels a little too limited and Fisher Price for a full desktop setup. However, being able to hit the "Desktop" tile and being presented with what is essentially a modded Aero desktop is a nice touch. MS have announced a load of new anti-malware features which sound pretty promising as well, so I've got a good feeling about Windows 8 in general :smile:

On a side note, I'm glad I decided not to go to BruCON after all. The talks are mostly recycled from this year's DEF CON, with the slides online and freely downloadable which means I don't have to shell out a small King's Ransom in order to go to the monstrously expensive, annoyingly inaccessible and rundown soulless ****hole that calls itself Brussels.

Another of the side effects of getting old :teehee:

Quiet, you. :colonhash: How old are you then? :holmes:
I just can't see Metro taking off on desktops at all. The constant changing of interfaces would probably start to irritate me, and I would ultimately just stick to the old fashioned desktop.

That said, Win 8 running a tablet looks amazing. I would snap it up in an instant.
Quiet, you. :colonhash: How old are you then? :holmes:

Today I am six years older than I would be at double three years younger than half my current age.

Additionally, in four years time I will be 11 years younger than quintuple three years older than a fifth of my age.

Finally, my age during my first year as a teenager is only a couple of years more than the difference between my age a year ago and the first prime number multiplied by the sum of half my current age and half my age during my first year of having an age in double digits.

Latest

Trending

Trending