The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Original post by jamiepango
Good point :tongue:

Are you self-teaching? Which modules have you chosen?

Half and half

FP1, D1 and S2 - I had no choice but they're probably what I would have picked tbh, you? :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Half and half

FP1, D1 and S2 - I had no choice but they're probably what I would have picked tbh, you? :tongue:

Probably for the better, plus you can have it mentioned in your reference that you self teach :smile:

FP1, M1 and M2 although I would have preferred FP2 and D1 because I'm not a fan of physics :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco
Apparently UCAS counts a line break as two characters (or so I've heard). There should definitely be a margin of error though, it's ridiculous :tongue:

Oh no way! :angry:
Reply 2843
Probably for the better, plus you can have it mentioned in your reference that you self teach :smile:

FP1, M1 and M2 although I would have preferred FP2 and D1 because I'm not a fan of physics :s-smilie:

M1 and M2... and you're not a fan of physics? ouch :redface:

Original post by Psychotic546
Oh no way! :angry:

I know :rolleyes:
Reply 2844
does changing your margins on word to 3.17cm right and left, alonside using Time New Roman at point 12 actually give you a realistic size in comparision to the UCAS box. in otherwords does it work?
Reply 2845
Original post by Alpha5
does changing your margins on word to 3.17cm right and left, alonside using Time New Roman at point 12 actually give you a realistic size in comparision to the UCAS box. in otherwords does it work?

Not sure, I don't trust anything except the UCAS box, if in doubt, keep checking it in there :smile:
Original post by Tateco
M1 and M2... and you're not a fan of physics? ouch :redface:

:frown:
Reply 2847
Have you guys properly started teaching FP1,D1 & S2 yet? Im not really sure when to start because I have C3, a physics and Transport Economics module in january, and need to get 90 UMS in C3 for the A*, so would it be too late to start teaching FP1,D1,S2 from Januray? or would you recommend starting now?
Original post by somaiyar
Have you guys properly started teaching FP1,D1 & S2 yet? Im not really sure when to start because I have C3, a physics and Transport Economics module in january, and need to get 90 UMS in C3 for the A*, so would it be too late to start teaching FP1,D1,S2 from Januray? or would you recommend starting now?

I would recommend learning now at a steady pace until about perhaps November/December, so that you can concentrate on revising for your exams thereafter. I would mean a lot less pressure to get it all done after January :smile:
Reply 2849
I would recommend learning now at a steady pace until about perhaps November/December, so that you can concentrate on revising for your exams thereafter. I would mean a lot less pressure to get it all done after January :smile:

Yeah thats what I was thinking, just set aside a free period at school and start going over each chapter, but its so hard to self-teach and focus during your frees!
Yeah thats what I was thinking, just set aside a free period at school and start going over each chapter, but its so hard to self-teach and focus during your frees!

Yeah a lot of motivation is needed when trying to self-teach, which is why I'm kinda going to the lessons as well as going through it myself. Hopefully it should be okay :tongue:
Original post by Alpha5

The only reliable way, as Tateco says, is to try it in the box on UCAS. It has funny rules about stuff that Word doesn't account for.
- One line is 93 characters, no more.
- If you don't use part of a line because you pressed enter to start a new line, the part you didn't use counts as 2 characters.
- A blank line counts as 2 characters.
- If you were on say 90 characters on a line then hit space and started the word "cheese", that line would have 91 characters in total with all of the word "cheese" counting as part of the next line, so the first line is 91 characters but still full. It counts as 91 characters, not 93.

Word can give you a rough idea for character count (though if you're really close to 4,000 then I wouldn't rely on it) but you'll really struggle to get an accurate line count from it. Just preview it on UCAS :yes:
Original post by -Illmatic-
A dissertation is actually pretty cool you know..all that independent shizz :ahee:

The dissertation was the scourge of my final year. Unless you're organised and do it quickly, it's always on the back of your mind (even though I ended up doing most of it in the Easter vacation just before the deadline).
Reply 2853

Yeah I would do this :smile: I can go to around half the lessons and then I'm just self-teaching everything I miss using on line resources
Recommend people to put the movie Beautiful Mind in their personal statement. awesome and inspirational movie about economics. Its about a nobel prize winner for economics.
Does anyone know if you can enter straight into the second year at st andrews for econ?
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Does anyone know if you can enter straight into the second year at st andrews for econ?

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/howwhen/Directentryintosecondyear/

It appears that only some science degrees have second year entry.
Reply 2857
Original post by perrytheplatypus

Why would you want to do that?
Anyone going to the Bath open day on Saturday? :smile:
Reply 2859
just go an email back from the UCL Economics department saying they will require UMS marks for this application cycle, the email said:

Thank you for your email regarding application for admission to the
Economics L100 course at UCL.

I can confirm that we will require the UMS scores in order to consider an
application and this information should be included in the GCE AS unit
section of the UCAS form.

Yours sincerely,

Economics Department

it says "in order to consider an application", but surely, if they haven't put it on the UCL website, the UCL prospectus OR the UCL Economics Department website/webpage, then there will be thousands of economics applicants around the country who wont put their UMS scores in the UCAS form. So will they not be considered? I dont know how the hell this will work

I am assuming, that on the UCAS from, where you enter your induvidual module grades, you leave the dropdown box alone, and in the box next to it which says "other", you put something like: " A 90 / 100 UMS" for example, is this what other people are going to do??

Latest

Trending

Trending