The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
I am predicted A* in Maths, Further maths and Physics.
Original post by maths134
A* maths, A* further, A* physics, A classics

:redface: :redface: you make me feel rubbish now :frown: :frown: what ums score did you get at AS?

Original post by fruktas
I am predicted A* in Maths, Further maths and Physics.

:redface: You as well!! I was all excited about my A then there's you two with all your A*s.... Haha :s-smilie:

Well done to both of you though!!
Reply 1422
Original post by BeccaCath94
:redface: :redface: you make me feel rubbish now :frown: :frown: what ums score did you get at AS?

:redface: You as well!! I was all excited about my A then there's you two with all your A*s.... Haha :s-smilie:

Predictions mean virtually nothing, its about what you will get in the end :smile: if I was predicted A's, I would probably just work that much harder to get the A* to prove them wrong :smile:
Original post by fruktas
Predictions mean virtually nothing, its about what you will get in the end :smile: if I was predicted A's, I would probably just work that much harder to get the A* to prove them wrong :smile:

Yes that is very true and it is maths so fairly easy to do well if you learn the formulae and techniques .... But yeah I don't know if I'll be able to get an A*... :/ how many ums points did you get for AS?
Reply 1424
well, I did maths in one year and I got 590/600 :smile: For me, its actually the one and only subject where you dont need to learn anything! its all about practising and everything gets stuck in your head. By learning stuff instead of understanding it, I doubt you will get far past A boundary :smile:
Original post by fruktas
well, I did maths in one year and I got 590/600 :smile: For me, its actually the one and only subject where you dont need to learn anything! its all about practising and everything gets stuck in your head. By learning stuff instead of understanding it, I doubt you will get far past A boundary :smile:

Wow!!!! Well done!!!! :biggrin:
For AS i got 260/300 which i was very pleased with :smile:
Where did you drop your 10 marks?
Yeah haha the questions are all so similar you just do all the past papers possible then by the time you get into the exam your brain can answer the questions without even thinking :tongue:
Yeah i agree...but i understand everything so... :smile:
Reply 1426
Wow!!!! Well done!!!! :biggrin:
For AS i got 260/300 which i was very pleased with :smile:
Where did you drop your 10 marks?
Yeah haha the questions are all so similar you just do all the past papers possible then by the time you get into the exam your brain can answer the questions without even thinking :tongue:
Yeah i agree...but i understand everything so... :smile:

Well done to you too! I got 97 in C1, 98 in C3 and 95 in M1. C2, C4 and M2 were 100's
In C3 I havent got a clue where! It must have something silly, in fact, it was silly mistakes
as far as I know for all of the exams. But hey, no one is perfect :smile:
Original post by fruktas
Well done to you too! I got 97 in C1, 98 in C3 and 95 in M1. C2, C4 and M2 were 100's
In C3 I havent got a clue where! It must have something silly, in fact, it was silly mistakes
as far as I know for all of the exams. But hey, no one is perfect :smile:

Thank you :smile: :smile: I was very pleased!!! Its a shame i did a lot worse in all my other subjects :s Ooh well done!!! I got 91 in C1 and S1 and 78 in C2.... :/

Nope no one can get 100 every time :smile:

I find i make a few silly mistakes in maths because sometimes its too easy so i rush and dont check :/

Aha thanks. I got 288/300 physics (120,116,50). Further maths 287/300 (FP1-100, D2-98, M1- 89) and maths 283/300 (100-C1, 91-D1, 92-C2) and classics 173/200. So 95% over top three
Original post by maths134
Aha thanks. I got 288/300 physics (120,116,50). Further maths 287/300 (FP1-100, D2-98, M1- 89) and maths 283/300 (100-C1, 91-D1, 92-C2) and classics 173/200. So 95% over top three

Wow!! They're great!!! :biggrin:
I got 260/300 in maths (91-S1, C1-91, C2-78)...and not so good in my other subjects :/ BCC......
Does anyone know if all maths course content is pretty similar at all unis as I have no idea what they are with all their fancy names?!? :tongue:
Is it best just to choose it for the uni....?
Does anyone know if all maths course content is pretty similar at all unis as I have no idea what they are with all their fancy names?!? :tongue:
Is it best just to choose it for the uni....?

To an extent it's probably better to pick your choices based on where you want to be as a uni, seeing as a lot of core topics like analysis will be taught at almost all unis. However, the course content can vary a lot, so do at least take a look at the sort of units you do, especially the compulsory ones. There were some unis I ruled out because they forced you to take a lot of statistics, or didn't offer enough mechanics etc. So do at least take a look, but don't get too worried about the exact content of each course.
Original post by jonnyboy1993
To an extent it's probably better to pick your choices based on where you want to be as a uni, seeing as a lot of core topics like analysis will be taught at almost all unis. However, the course content can vary a lot, so do at least take a look at the sort of units you do, especially the compulsory ones. There were some unis I ruled out because they forced you to take a lot of statistics, or didn't offer enough mechanics etc. So do at least take a look, but don't get too worried about the exact content of each course.

Oh i see. Yes i'll look for those kind of things, thank you :smile:
I prefer the core maths more than stats and do NOT understand mechanics!! haha :/
I'll have a look at them yeah :smile:

Do you know which unis have a lot of physicsy stuff?
Oh i see. Yes i'll look for those kind of things, thank you :smile:
I prefer the core maths more than stats and do NOT understand mechanics!! haha :/
I'll have a look at them yeah :smile:

Yeah you've still got plenty of time, just have a little look at the course guides and units etc. Wherever you go you'll probably have a great time anyway. But it might be worth looking out for courses where mechanics/stats aren't compulsory units, or at least there aren't many compulsory units in those areas. In fact you might even want to consider also having a look at degrees in 'pure maths' rather than doing what I did and solely looking at courses called 'maths' :tongue:
Does anyone think its a bad idea to apply to - Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Durham and St andrews, I only ask because they are all 'top choice' unis... hmm
Bristol has 17 applicants per place for 2010 entry...

since when did maths become so popular? now I have to compete against LOTS of people :sigh:
Yeah you've still got plenty of time, just have a little look at the course guides and units etc. Wherever you go you'll probably have a great time anyway. But it might be worth looking out for courses where mechanics/stats aren't compulsory units, or at least there aren't many compulsory units in those areas. In fact you might even want to consider also having a look at degrees in 'pure maths' rather than doing what I did and solely looking at courses called 'maths' :tongue:

Yep will do :smile: Thanks :smile: Yeah i did consider pure maths but i want to do it with german/year abroad and i dont think thats possible :/ Im ok at stats...i got an A in S1 so... :smile:
Where are you looking at applying?
Original post by dnumberwang
Do you know which unis have a lot of physicsy stuff?

Unfortunately it's now a year since I looked into all of this stuff (thankfully :tongue:), the courses may have changed somewhat since I applied, but most good unis will normally offer quite a few physics-y modules in a maths degree. Though i will say that I think Imperial had a particularly good scope of physics-y stuff (I almost applied for maths and physics, though 12 months down the line I'm glad I didn't) but don't take my word as fact, do go and look this up for yourself, it's normally very easy to get a list of units offered in each year on the faculty websites.
Unfortunately it's now a year since I looked into all of this stuff (thankfully :tongue:), the courses may have changed somewhat since I applied, but most good unis will normally offer quite a few physics-y modules in a maths degree. Though i will say that I think Imperial had a particularly good scope of physics-y stuff (I almost applied for maths and physics, though 12 months down the line I'm glad I didn't) but don't take my word as fact, do go and look this up for yourself, it's normally very easy to get a list of units offered in each year on the faculty websites.

Fair enough, I've made my choices now anyway :dontknow:

I want to do as little physics and mechanics as possible tbh