The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'll be applying here again. Got AAB with 2 UMS away from an A* in bio and 3 UMS away from an A in chemistry so now I'm obviously screwed for normal medicine.
Reply 301
Original post by Tzarchasm
I'll be applying here again. Got AAB with 2 UMS away from an A* in bio and 3 UMS away from an A in chemistry so now I'm obviously screwed for normal medicine.

Not a nice way to describe the BM6 course. It is normal Medicine, only it widens access for those that have circumstances. It's not for people who miss the grades they needed for "normal medicine".

What is your reasoning for wanting to study the BM6?

Either way, congrats on your grades you should be really proud of them they are really good!

Did you go for any remarks ect?

There are other Medicine courses that require higher grades than Southampton such as ABB - like UEA, A2L, take a look at those as well.

Where else are you applying?
Original post by xcoral23
Not a nice way to describe the BM6 course. It is normal Medicine, only it widens access for those that have circumstances. It's not for people who miss the grades they needed for "normal medicine".

What is your reasoning for wanting to study the BM6?

Either way, congrats on your grades you should be really proud of them they are really good!

Did you go for any remarks ect?

There are other Medicine courses that require higher grades than Southampton such as ABB - like UEA, A2L, take a look at those as well.

Where else are you applying?

Sorry, when I meant by normal medicine I meant the most normal method of getting into medicine which is through A100. I applied to study BM6 last year as well but didn't even get to the interview stage (I'm really doubting my chances this year). Firstly, I like the timetable that the BM6 constitutes of in the first year, leaving me with a decent amount of time to take part in a variety of different hobbies. I have many more reasons to why I want to study the BM6.

Thank you for the other suggestions.
Reply 303
Sorry, when I meant by normal medicine I meant the most normal method of getting into medicine which is through A100. I applied to study BM6 last year as well but didn't even get to the interview stage (I'm really doubting my chances this year). Firstly, I like the timetable that the BM6 constitutes of in the first year, leaving me with a decent amount of time to take part in a variety of different hobbies. I have many more reasons to why I want to study the BM6.

Thank you for the other suggestions.

It's ok. Reading text, some things can come across the wrong way. I didn't mean to sound rude either, it's just frustrating when we've had a few people that think the BM6 is for people who don't get the grades for A100 courses, when it's much more than that. :smile:

Yeah I know how that feels. I think I got brushed off because I wasn't planning on studying A2 Chemistry. I'm studying it this year but I still don't think I stand much chance.

On the plus side, atleast you can spend this year doing something you want to as you have already achieved your grades. Have you got any plans?

Where else are you planning on applying this year?
Reply 304
I am getting so frustrated with my personal statement. I've got so much I want to say but can't fit it all in!
Reply 305
I am getting so frustrated with my personal statement. I've got so much I want to say but can't fit it all in!

Same I have so much I want to say but don't know how to say it.
Reply 306
Original post by Besakt
Same I have so much I want to say but don't know how to say it.

I know!!

I've got loads of work experience I want to talk about + work + studying + volunteering...

It's tough trying to be concise when you are so passionate about something - you just want to scream to the world how much you want this..

On the plus side I think I've nailed my first paragraph (which usually is the hardest) but the rest is over 2 pages at the moment.

How much have you done so far?
Reply 307
I know!!

I've got loads of work experience I want to talk about + work + studying + volunteering...

It's tough trying to be concise when you are so passionate about something - you just want to scream to the world how much you want this..

On the plus side I think I've nailed my first paragraph (which usually is the hardest) but the rest is over 2 pages at the moment.

How much have you done so far?

I've done mine I'm on my 4/5th draft now.:tongue:
Reply 308
Original post by Besakt
I've done mine I'm on my 4/5th draft now.:tongue:

Well, I've kind of done mine. I'm just cutting out/editing and adding bits and bobs now.

I'm definatly not ready to send it off yet though.

Lucky you lol!! I kind of wish I started earlier :rolleyes:
S.

Might not want to mention the "time for hobbies" but other than that go for it :smile:

xcoral23
x

you are passionate to the extreme! Even when ill! So impressed.
Reply 310
Original post by BethaneyJ

you are passionate to the extreme! Even when ill! So impressed.

Ahah:colondollar:

I do try :smile:

A friend of mine died in a car crash earlier today, so it's been pretty emotional. R.I.P :frown:

I wish that the admissions tutors could see how passionate I am and how much I want this!

I'm kind of used to working/getting on with things when I've been ill - all comes with having diabetes from a young age. Admittedly, I haven't been quite this ill before but desperate times (close to sending UCAS off, UKCAT, studying, work) calls for desperate measures :smile:

Thank you, I hope this is my year and I get a chance to prove myself :crossedf:
Reply 311

A friend of mine died in a car crash earlier today, so it's been pretty emotional. R.I.P :frown:

I wish that the admissions tutors could see how passionate I am and how much I want this!

I'm kind of used to working/getting on with things when I've been ill - all comes with having diabetes from a young age. Admittedly, I haven't been quite this ill before but desperate times (close to sending UCAS off, UKCAT, studying, work) calls for desperate measures :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck with your application! It sucks to be ill, but just try keep your eyes on the prize :smile:

Did you apply to BM6 last year then?
Reply 312
Original post by tobnot
Wishing you the best of luck with your application! It sucks to be ill, but just try keep your eyes on the prize :smile:

Did you apply to BM6 last year then?

Thank you! It does suck, big time.

Yeah, I'm keeping focused, it's trying to find the energy to stay awake for more than a few hours at the moment that is killing me, plus the other side effects that have become apparent.

I did indeed apply last year, however I didn't have A2 Chemistry/wasn't going to study it - this year I am :smile: so hopefully (although I'm not very confident) I get a chance along with some other re-applicants on the thread :smile:

Are you applying? If so, tell us abit about yourself? :colone:
Reply 313
I am indeed applying :biggrin:

Basically, I was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2004, I was in year 7 at the time. I then had to undergo brain surgery to try and remove it, and then I had 2 months of radiotherapy treatment. By now i'd missed 6 months of school all in all, but managed to go back for the start of year 8. Then after 4 years after my MRI scans being had been all clear, in 2008 that all changed. I was told that it there was possible regrowth/inflammation in my brain, had to have a second operation to remove the 'inflamed' tissue and it was then sent to Memphis (god knows why :s-smilie:) to be tested. This couldn't have happened at a worse time as I was just starting my GCSE's and I really couldn't afford to miss any more school.

I had to wait 8 weeks for the results and they then came back as inconclusive. Then as if this wasn't enough, probably due to all the stress, I was then diagnosed with M.E :frown: Missed the rest of year 10 and 11 at school and managed 2 GCSE's with a home tutor.

Then last year I luckily managed to start a year's GCSE course at college. Managed to complete some basic GCSE's and I'm now at 6th form. So that's my story in a nutshell!

How far did you get with your application last year?
Is it realistic for me to apply?

Gcses: 4A's 3B's 1C (3 short courses + C in english lang which severely limited my options) I went to a really bad secondary school with a pass rate(5C's) of 20% during my year.
AS: ABBB
Predicted: AAA, will these predictions get me rejected?
Reply 315
Original post by tobnot
I am indeed applying :biggrin:

Basically, I was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2004, I was in year 7 at the time. I then had to undergo brain surgery to try and remove it, and then I had 2 months of radiotherapy treatment. By now i'd missed 6 months of school all in all, but managed to go back for the start of year 8. Then after 4 years after my MRI scans being had been all clear, in 2008 that all changed. I was told that it there was possible regrowth/inflammation in my brain, had to have a second operation to remove the 'inflamed' tissue and it was then sent to Memphis (god knows why :s-smilie:) to be tested. This couldn't have happened at a worse time as I was just starting my GCSE's and I really couldn't afford to miss any more school.

I had to wait 8 weeks for the results and they then came back as inconclusive. Then as if this wasn't enough, probably due to all the stress, I was then diagnosed with M.E :frown: Missed the rest of year 10 and 11 at school and managed 2 GCSE's with a home tutor.

Then last year I luckily managed to start a year's GCSE course at college. Managed to complete some basic GCSE's and I'm now at 6th form. So that's my story in a nutshell!

How far did you get with your application last year?

Wow, that's pretty inspirational. Although it's not the same, I do kind of know how you feel - conditions like that change you and shape you as a person. As tough as it was, you are probably a better person as a result and probably appreciate life more.

I spent my entire school and college life pretty much ill all the time but I think it has made me who I am today and will probably help me become a better doctor in the future (if I get a chance that is :smile: )

Two of my friends have M.E, so I know how you feel - all I'm going to say is well done on getting those few GCSE's that you did, atleast you worked hard and bothered to get what you could considering the position you were in. What grades did you come out with?

So are you in your second year at 6th form? If so, what are you studying and how did your AS exams go?

I didn't get through to interview stage, unfortunately because I wasn't studying A2 Chemistry my qualifications did not compete with others applying with A2 Chemistry. It was a risk that didn't pay off. This year I am studying the Chemistry though and re-applying with a vengeance :biggrin:

Original post by Hanz_a93
Is it realistic for me to apply?

Gcses: 4A's 3B's 1C (3 short courses + C in english lang which severely limited my options) I went to a really bad secondary school with a pass rate(5C's) of 20% during my year.
AS: ABBB
Predicted: AAA, will these predictions get me rejected?

Being predicted AAA will not get you rejected but only having the reason of a 'C in English' will not be a good enough reason to apply. The whole point in the BM6 is to widen access to those who have had circumstances that affected them as a student and for those who have genuinely good reasons to apply.

As posted previously, admissions are very good at identifying those who should not be applying to the course.

You are probably better off emailing Universities for standard 5 year courses. I know you are limited due to your C, however there are a few out there that will accept your grade. If not, perhaps re-take the English exam this year?

You have a sound academic profile, it must seem frustrating to not be considered because of 1 GCSE grade - I know how you feel.

I'm giving this advice because my GCSE's are the same as yours (4 A's 3 B's and 2 C's - 1 in Maths) I did however retake my Maths this year and got a B and there were a few universities that said they would accept me with the retake so you should defiantly consider it.

Either way, whatever you decide, good luck with your applications :smile:
Wow, that's pretty inspirational. Although it's not the same, I do kind of know how you feel - conditions like that change you and shape you as a person. As tough as it was, you are probably a better person as a result and probably appreciate life more.

I spent my entire school and college life pretty much ill all the time but I think it has made me who I am today and will probably help me become a better doctor in the future (if I get a chance that is :smile: )

Two of my friends have M.E, so I know how you feel - all I'm going to say is well done on getting those few GCSE's that you did, atleast you worked hard and bothered to get what you could considering the position you were in. What grades did you come out with?

So are you in your second year at 6th form? If so, what are you studying and how did your AS exams go?

I didn't get through to interview stage, unfortunately because I wasn't studying A2 Chemistry my qualifications did not compete with others applying with A2 Chemistry. It was a risk that didn't pay off. This year I am studying the Chemistry though and re-applying with a vengeance :biggrin:

Being predicted AAA will not get you rejected but only having the reason of a 'C in English' will not be a good enough reason to apply. The whole point in the BM6 is to widen access to those who have had circumstances that affected them as a student and for those who have genuinely good reasons to apply.

As posted previously, admissions are very good at identifying those who should not be applying to the course.

You are probably better off emailing Universities for standard 5 year courses. I know you are limited due to your C, however there are a few out there that will accept your grade. If not, perhaps re-take the English exam this year?

You have a sound academic profile, it must seem frustrating to not be considered because of 1 GCSE grade - I know how you feel.

I'm giving this advice because my GCSE's are the same as yours (4 A's 3 B's and 2 C's - 1 in Maths) I did however retake my Maths this year and got a B and there were a few universities that said they would accept me with the retake so you should defiantly consider it.

Wow atlast a medical applicant who has similar gcse grades 2 me! :biggrin: lol. Thanks good luck too u too! :smile:

I think i forgot to mention that almost half of my grades were short courses: A in ICT, A in RE, B in history were all short courses. My school did not have the full courses at that time and also subject choices were very limited, because i went to a VERY crappy school (i have the circumtances issue which my head of year will write in my reference) so really i do not have a sound academic profile tbh. Will this be taken into consideration in the admissions process?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 317

Yeah they defiantly do change you as a person. But also I think it's good to see the NHS as a patient, just so you can appreciate the work they do! Something else to talk about if you get an interview.

My GCSE's were OK, considering the situation. I got 2 A's and 4 B's, which isn't great but at least it's enough for BM6

Yeah i'm in year 13 now, so just finished my AS which were pretty awful! I came out with C's across the board. I was taking Bio, Chem, Geography and Psychology, and i've now dropped Psych. Plenty of people in my year failed, and 20 people in Psychology got U's, which was a shocker for the teachers, so I think my school are going to take it further with the exam boards. I also got my Bio papers back last week and my teacher found 5 marks that I wasn't credited for. Anyway, i'm going to be predicted BCC at A2 and i'm retaking some modules in January so hopefully i'll come out with more in June.

I saw your post about your tonsillectomy, sounds like a terrible experience, hope you get well soon!
When are you taking your UKCAT?
Wow atlast a medical applicant who has similar gcse grades 2 me! :biggrin: lol. Thanks good luck too u too! :smile:

I think i forgot to mention that almost half of my grades were short courses: A in ICT, A in RE, B in history were all short courses. My school did not have the full courses at that time and also subject choices were very limited, because i went to a VERY crappy school (i have the circumtances issue which my head of year will write in my reference) so really i do not have a sound academic profile tbh. Will this be taken into consideration in the admissions process?

Your school will be considered, but having a crappy school and still getting 3 A's they're still going to wonder why you're not applying to regular entry, so you'll need to have a set of good and reasonable reasons why you're applying, and why you've been disadvantaged. The crappy school thing is a good reason, but only really if you get crappy grades which you haven't overall in your A levels.

The other thing to mention is do you meet the non-academic criteria? People get attracted to BM6 due to the low offers but then after applying realise they've missed the eligibility stuff.

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

If you can convince them at interview that you've got sound reasons to apply then you're in for a shot! Just make sure your PS is fabulous! It's a great year if you do go for it. I loved it. Good luck!

How are you still standing??? You must be very brave. Keep smiling and let us know if there is anything we can do.
Reply 319

Lol, woooooo :biggrin: We rock with our GCSE grades! I was quite happy with mine considering what I was going through during then :smile:

I would have thought so, if it is written in the reference they will consider it, although the specific entry criteria is more important.

Wow, your school sounds pretty rubbish - atleast you have proven yourself through your A-levels, your results are very good!

Thank you :cool:

Original post by tobnot
Yeah they defiantly do change you as a person. But also I think it's good to see the NHS as a patient, just so you can appreciate the work they do! Something else to talk about if you get an interview.

My GCSE's were OK, considering the situation. I got 2 A's and 4 B's, which isn't great but at least it's enough for BM6

Yeah i'm in year 13 now, so just finished my AS which were pretty awful! I came out with C's across the board. I was taking Bio, Chem, Geography and Psychology, and i've now dropped Psych. Plenty of people in my year failed, and 20 people in Psychology got U's, which was a shocker for the teachers, so I think my school are going to take it further with the exam boards. I also got my Bio papers back last week and my teacher found 5 marks that I wasn't credited for. Anyway, i'm going to be predicted BCC at A2 and i'm retaking some modules in January so hopefully i'll come out with more in June.

I saw your post about your tonsillectomy, sounds like a terrible experience, hope you get well soon!
When are you taking your UKCAT?

I agree, it does make you appreciate the work that they do and it will be exciting talking about me bleeding to death last week in an interview aha might lighten the mood abit (IF I get one)

They are pretty impressive considering the situation you were in. I would be really proud of those grades! Not that many people have the ability to study ect without being hand-fed everything and you must be good at self-studying from home now :smile:

C's are not bad at all and you can always pull the marks up this year so I wouldn't stress too much about them. You are predicted the needed grades, just don't make yourself ill trying to do too much or stressing yourself out (I wish I could take my own advice! lol)

Aww, thank you! It was scary, but as BethanyJ said, it's definatly something to talk about at an interview! The worst part is the Anemia now, I just have no energy it's horrible - I'm living off Iron tablets and food full of it (bit boring) but has to be done.

I have re-booked it for the 28th. Have you done it yet?

Original post by BethaneyJ

How are you still standing??? You must be very brave. Keep smiling and let us know if there is anything we can do.

If I could collect a teardrop and put it in a pot and take it to a Pensieve I could show you just how tough my life has been. Over the years I have learnt to deal with situations and work around them - if I didn't I probably would have killed myself a while ago (sorry I don't like making statements like that and I don't mean to offend anyone).

I guess I'm just a strong person - I have my bad days, but who doesn't. After my friend died yesterday it made me realise that atleast I am alive and I've got so much I want to do (right now get into bloody medical school) and have a family when I'm older and stuff - makes you appreciate what you really have :smile:

Sorry that was abit emotional then.. had a tear to my eye.

Thank you for the support, honestly just coming on here and chatting away about Medicine is good enough for me :biggrin:

P.s a Pensieve is the memory machine thing in Harry Potter (I look like such a nerd right now aha)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending