The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Please stop ignoring me. I've posted several times in this thread (as well as others) and have been completely over-looked every time.

Basically, I'm on my gap year now and currently working (voluntarily; unpaid) 26 hours per week shared between a charity shop, a hospice and a center for the disabled. Do you think this is enough or do I need more?

Also, I sat my UKCAT and only achieved 620. I have 7A*s and 4 As at GCSE (+ AAAa at A-level). Where can I apply with a reasonable chance of being offered an interview? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Rocket_Science
Please stop ignoring me. I've posted several times in this thread (as well as others) and have been completely over-looked every time.

Basically, I'm on my gap year now and currently working (voluntarily; unpaid) 26 hours per week shared between a charity shop, a hospice and a center for the disabled. Do you think this is enough or do I need more?

Also, I sat my UKCAT and only achieved 620. I have 7A*s and 4 As at GCSE (+ AAAa at A-level). Where can I apply with a reasonable chance of being offered an interview? Thanks :smile:

Its not about how much time but about what you learn in that time.

Check this, to see where you could apply:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208

No offence but you sound like you're complaining because none of us researched YOUR application for you.
Did you not consider looking through the unis yourself to decide and get an idea and then maybe asking us our opinion rather than leaving it to us to do the work for you in the first place?

Hello there :smile: I doubt that you were intentionally ignored, there are a lot of posts on this forum of an extremely similar nature.

Nobody can tell you where you have a 'reasonable chance' of getting an interview. Medicine applications are judged on a number of factors; grades, UKCAT, personal statement, reference. All of these need to be good to give you the best chance. The majority of applicants receive 4 rejections, even those who are extremely well qualified.

I would avoid universities which use a cut off for UKCAT score. Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1629090

This thread will hopefully tell you where you would be best avoiding:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1043586
got round to properly starting my ucas application today.
is your ucas id number supposed to change?
To the HCA's. Do you all have NVQ's? All the Hospitals I checked say they want a level 2 NVQ. Annoying. :angry:
Sent my application off yesterday. Don't feel confident at all :frown: Hope this isn't a wasted year :/
Original post by dunnicare
To the HCA's. Do you all have NVQ's? All the Hospitals I checked say they want a level 2 NVQ. Annoying. :angry:

No I don't have any NVQ's and got a job. Do they say that you have to be willing to undertake it? If so just say in the additional info bit that you are.
Original post by Cheddar

Original post by Cheddar
Sent my application off yesterday. Don't feel confident at all :frown: Hope this isn't a wasted year :/

Where have you applied? :h:
Original post by Cheddar
No I don't have any NVQ's and got a job. Do they say that you have to be willing to undertake it? If so just say in the additional info bit that you are.

:smile: Nope. The majority say you have to have it already.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Where have you applied? :h:

Leicester, Peninsula, Keele and Barts.

Leicester and Keele are my risky choices so its quite worrying :redface:
Original post by Cheddar
Leicester, Peninsula, Keele and Barts.

Leicester and Keele are my risky choices so its quite worrying :redface:

Ah well you've applied to BL so I like you :yy:

Just need one offer :h:

Best of luck btw :smile:
Reply 3632

When they say NVQ level 2, if its not in a particular subject, then you have the equivalent qualifications with A levels so apply anyway :smile: There are a lot who want experience/qualifications, but there are a few who offer full training, so make sure you go for those :smile:Remember as well that when it says experiencei n healthcare, work experience, and any relevant voluntary work count as well :smile:
Reply 3633

Have you got any ideas? What does your own research say are the best places for you to apply?

I'lll be honest, I didn't ignore your post - I thought I was getting dejavu... - I just didn't have an answer for you. But you do need to do some research. If you came to us and said 'out of these five unis, which are the best four to pick for me?' then we'd probably be able to help more. Also, its not how much voluntary work you do, its how you reflect on it on your personal statement. Have the ps helpers reviewed your personal statement? Do they think its strong?
:smile: Nope. The majority say you have to have it already.

Oh right:K:, not too sure about that then sorry.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ah well you've applied to BL so I like you :yy:

Just need one offer :h:

Best of luck btw :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:, I guess I just need to start interview prep now.

No but they asked for it too when I applied.

My A levels were good enough as A levels are "level 3 qualifications"

I think they're just looking for a general standard of education.
Reply 3636
Original post by catrin2020
yeah i'd like to know about that too :smile:
So guys, any advice? :biggrin:

I really need to start ammending my PS from last year! What course are you starting and where? And where are you looking to reapply to medicine?
Reply 3637
Does anyone know how we deal with resits on UCAS? I'm probably retaking Unit 5 Chemistry, so how do I show this on my application?
Reply 3638
Original post by Eragon.
Does anyone know how we deal with resits on UCAS? I'm probably retaking Unit 5 Chemistry, so how do I show this on my application?

Just put it down as "Pending" on your UCAS form.
Original post by joemullally
No but they asked for it too when I applied.

My A levels were good enough as A levels are "level 3 qualifications"

I think they're just looking for a general standard of education.

Hmmm. I'll call up and ask. Thanks mate. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending