The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by House Dagoth
Bristol has 17 applicants per place for 2010 entry...

How can you check that?
Original post by dnumberwang

I want to do as little physics and mechanics as possible tbh

Same!!!
Original post by maths134
Does anyone think its a bad idea to apply to - Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Durham and St andrews, I only ask because they are all 'top choice' unis... hmm

Not necessarily, you have very solid grades, and Cambridge and Durham definitely ask for UMS, and I've heard that UCl do too. This should work to your advantage. The only thing I would say is it's always nice to have a 'safe' choice where your grades/predictions should easily get you an offer eg A*AA predicted, apply to an AAB/ABB uni for your last choice. Chances are you should be fine to get offers from at least a few of your choices, with grades like yours, but it's just something to consider (I did it, though it turned out to be unnecessary), it's a personal call on how confident you are. I'd say you've definitely got a good chance with those choices, but losing one for a 'safer' uni might not be the worst thing you can do. (I applied to both Durham and Warwick and in the end decided I didn't really want to go to either once i had offers :rolleyes:)
Original post by BeccaCath94
Yep will do :smile: Thanks :smile: Yeah i did consider pure maths but i want to do it with german/year abroad and i dont think thats possible :/ Im ok at stats...i got an A in S1 so... :smile:
Where are you looking at applying?

Ah, it's a shame, but obviously go for what you want to do, and if that's a year abroad then go for it :smile: yeah it'll probably be great wherever you go, it's just a bit of research could make it that little bit better :tongue:

I actually applied last cycle, I'm just lurking around here to impart whatever little 'wisdom' I have to help you guys. But I'm off to Cambridge in a couple of weeks (but if anyone is interested I also applied to Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Nottingham)
Fair enough, I've made my choices now anyway :dontknow:

I want to do as little physics and mechanics as possible tbh

Fair play, and at most unis you can just pick your modules to minimise your exposure to the mechanics/physics side of maths and very easily just stick to your more comfortable regions :tongue:
Original post by POWW!
How can you check that?

it was said on these forums, I'm not sure if it is true or not but it still really got me down.

St Andrews and Bath uni were 10 apps per place and that was stated on their website. And considering that Bristol is a popular university, it could be true.
it was said on these forums, I'm not sure if it is true or not but it still really got me down.

St Andrews and Bath uni were 10 apps per place and that was stated on their website. And considering that Bristol is a popular university, it could be true.

Yesssssssss, Morrowind is an incredible game!
Original post by BeccaCath94
I got my A level maths prediction yesterday....whats anyone else predicted?
Mines an A....but it would be amazing if I got an A*!!! :biggrin:

Original post by fruktas
I am predicted A* in Maths, Further maths and Physics.

Woo I also got the same predictions as fruktas :smile:

Do you know which unis have a lot of physicsy stuff?

Imperial has absolutely none from what I've heard, it is a VERY pure course. Cambridge has more mechanics and more options for applied than Oxford AFAIK. EDIT: Meaning you've probably made the right choice. In most courses it seems there is very little mechanics if you don't want any.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yesssssssss, Morrowind is an incredible game!

"I have a feeling you and I are about to become very close."

:biggrin:

EDIT: disposition - 100
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94

Imperial has absolutely none from what I've heard, it is a VERY pure course. Cambridge has more mechanics and more options for applied than Oxford AFAIK.

I bed to differ, just have a look at third/fourth year options here
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I bed to differ, just have a look at third/fourth year options here

That's if you take BSc Mathematics with Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics from what I understand.

EDIT: I think that is a new course that never existed before, because the few imperial mathmos I've spoken to say they have no options other than pure maths. Correct me if it is an old course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by POWW!

Original post by POWW!
How can you check that?

It's true, I remember reading it on their website. Last year it was 'only' 10 or 11 applicants per place, however. :smile:
Original post by hassi94
That's if you take BSc Mathematics with Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics from what I understand.

I doesn't say that anywhere I can see on the website. It in fact stresses the flexibility afforded to maths students in years 3 and 4. I know this was 8 months ago, but when I went to an offer-holders open day they certainly made a big point of the varied courses you could take in all areas of maths, and even the ability to take courses from the business school. Hardly just pure maths I would say.

EDIT: having seen your edit I'm tempted to say it's best for anyone considering Imperial to ignore both of us and just email IC themselves if they want to know more, clearly there's some ambiguity, and I think they've changed up the course in the last few years, but again it's been a while since I looked into all of this stuff, so don't take my word for it...
(edited 12 years ago)

If you want to apply there then that shouldn't put you off applying, in fact I got into Bristol and also got rejected from Cambridge, Durham and Imperial :rolleyes:
Original post by jameswhughes
If you want to apply there then that shouldn't put you off applying, in fact I got into Bristol and also got rejected from Cambridge, Durham and Imperial :rolleyes:

probably will still apply :biggrin:, though just a tad bit frightened.

probably will still apply :biggrin:, though just a tad bit frightened.

Good idea :top:
Original post by jonnyboy1993
Ah, it's a shame, but obviously go for what you want to do, and if that's a year abroad then go for it :smile: yeah it'll probably be great wherever you go, it's just a bit of research could make it that little bit better :tongue:

I actually applied last cycle, I'm just lurking around here to impart whatever little 'wisdom' I have to help you guys. But I'm off to Cambridge in a couple of weeks (but if anyone is interested I also applied to Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Nottingham)

Yep I know... :frown: bit I think I'd like at least a little bit of variety and not just solid maths for 3 years!!! Oh I'm sure it will yeah :biggrin: yeah I'm a bit over the top with my research and have loads of spreadsheets, ppts and docs..... :P

Oh I see.... Well good luck at Cambridge!!!! I'd never be able to get in there! :/ and sadly aren't looking at any of your other unis...but its good to lurk around and help!! :smile:
Good idea :top:

Dude, I booked my train tickets for the Warwick open day to go to Warwick station in Leamington Spa instead of Coventry!

Is it possible to watch a bus from there to Warwick Uni, and if so, how long does it take? :/
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dude, I booked my train tickets for the Warwick open day to go to Warwick station in Leamington Spa instead of Coventry!

Is it possible to watch a bus from there to Warwick Uni, and if so, how long does it take? :/

No idea, unfortunately. I've only visited Warwick once (for about 5 hours) so after you've been on your open day you'll have been there more than me! :lol:

I don't know anything about buses in that area (perhaps try contacting TheTallOne, he seems to know a lot about these things) or alternatively in you want to get the train all the way there, get tickets to Canley railway station, which is about 20 minutes walk from the university. :smile:
No idea, unfortunately. I've only visited Warwick once (for about 5 hours) so after you've been on your open day you'll have been there more than me! :lol:

I don't know anything about buses in that area (perhaps try contacting TheTallOne, he seems to know a lot about these things) or alternatively in you want to get the train all the way there, get tickets to Canley railway station, which is about 20 minutes walk from the university. :smile:

Okay thanks, I'm just really worried now, I don't want to miss my maths lectures! :s-smilie:

Latest