The Student Room Group

St Georges Medicine Applicants 2012

Poll

What UKCAT average did you get ? 2012

HI! Let's get the ball rolling for St Georges then..........

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does anyone know what is the individual section ukcat cut off score for st george is? thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Jchen
does anyone know what is the individual section ukcat cut off score for st george is? thanks

No At the open day I was told that they will announce the cut-offs after the ukcat results are sent out; ie first week in November
Reply 3
Oh i didnt know st georges used a UKCAT cut of :/ does anyone know what the cut off was last year ?
Reply 4
Original post by aggie30
Oh i didnt know st georges used a UKCAT cut of :/ does anyone know what the cut off was last year ?

It's the first year that St Georges are using it
Reply 5
Original post by oldbatty
It's the first year that St Georges are using it

oh wow well does anyone have any ideas what its likely to be? Is it like the tope x number get interviewed or is it like the bottom 25% get rejected like other medical schools have done in the past ?
Reply 6
Original post by aggie30
oh wow well does anyone have any ideas what its likely to be? Is it like the tope x number get interviewed or is it like the bottom 25% get rejected like other medical schools have done in the past ?

Who knows? It's the first time they've used a cutoff.
Reply 7
"Candidates not offering GCSE and A level qualifications or lower achievements than those mentioned will be considered on their merits paying particular attention to their UKCAT score among other things."
Reply 8
Ah, I'm having second thoughts on applying to George's. I went to the open day and I didn't particularly like the environment, the multi-mini interview idea and the location. At the moment I'm thinking I would only accept their offer if I get rejected everywhere else (Imperial, King's and Barts).

Am I being too critical and picky - do they have a lot more to offer?
Reply 9
Original post by TastyLimes

Original post by TastyLimes
x

If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps look at another uni. I was in almost the exact same position as you like 4 years ago. I'd applied to UCL, KCL and QMUL because I wanted to study in London. I wanted to go for another London uni, but I wasn't too keen on St George's or Imperial. So I went with a wildcard choice and picked Newcastle.

Newcastle ended up being my favourite (probably by virtue of being my first interview and offer, before KCL and QMUL).

I didn't get in. However, that's another story all together.

Either way about it, if you're not keep on a school, don't bother and pick somewhere which doesn't leave you with uncertainty.
Reply 10
has anyone actually sent their applications yet?
Reply 11
Hey, i know st georges ask for 4 A's at gcse's, but they do they count btecss?
Reply 12
Original post by JayD123

Original post by JayD123
Hey, i know st georges ask for 4 A's at gcse's, but they do they count btecss?

BTECs do not count for any medical university I don't think. They require full AS and A Levels.
Reply 13
noooo haha i mean, i went to a crappy school where one of our gcse options HAD to be a btec (supposedly worth 4 gcse's...)... does that count?
How lenient are they with the 4th AS thing (like does a C at A2 = B at AS) ??
Reply 15
Original post by JayD123
noooo haha i mean, i went to a crappy school where one of our gcse options HAD to be a btec (supposedly worth 4 gcse's...)... does that count?

Oh right lol my bad. Well I still don't think they count it, no offence to anyone who does a BTEC but they aren't comparable to 4 gcse's - well not to unis anyway.

Original post by Limesasquatch
How lenient are they with the 4th AS thing (like does a C at A2 = B at AS) ??

I think for SGUL its AAAb so a B grade at AS. I don't how lenient they are with it but students do get offers of AAA so I'm assuming you only need a B at AS and they can offer you AAA even if you drop the fourth subject after year 12. Keeping in mind most if not all Medical applicants will have done (at least) 4 AS, I think you should aim for at least a B in your 4th AS even if you're going to drop it.
Original post by Facticity
Oh right lol my bad. Well I still don't think they count it, no offence to anyone who does a BTEC but they aren't comparable to 4 gcse's - well not to unis anyway.

I think for SGUL its AAAb so a B grade at AS. I don't how lenient they are with it but students do get offers of AAA so I'm assuming you only need a B at AS and they can offer you AAA even if you drop the fourth subject after year 12. Keeping in mind most if not all Medical applicants will have done (at least) 4 AS, I think you should aim for at least a B in your 4th AS even if you're going to drop it.

Im a reapplicant with A* A* A* C, so no opportunity to change or improve it:frown:
Reply 17

Im a reapplicant with A* A* A* C, so no opportunity to change or improve it:frown:

To be honest with 3 A* I doubt you'd have much of a problem anywhere! :lolwut:

If still in doubt and you obviously don't want to waste an application, then just call them up and ask.
Original post by Facticity
To be honest with 3 A* I doubt you'd have much of a problem anywhere! :lolwut:

If still in doubt and you obviously don't want to waste an application, then just call them up and ask.

I will probably phone them, but it doesn't matter if I have got 1, 2 or 3 A*'s if I don't have the B in a 4th AS which is annoying. :frown:
Original post by JayD123

Same. I was doing electronics and got an A for the short course in year 10, good, but I would have got A* had I did the full course like we were supposed to. However, everyone else in my class got E/F/G etc so our head teacher switched us to a BTEC, while brainwashing the others that it was actually worth 2 GCSEs. I didn't stand for such bull**** and had a go at the head teacher (the rest of the class cheered although I'm not sure they understood why I was so angry,).

I now have on paper that "BTECs are equivalent to multiple GCSE grades" from my head teacher. I'm going to send an email from any given medical school that they don't get included.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending