The Student Room Group

Chemistry Electron configuration?

Hi, I was told to present my work in these ways, but I'm unsure what it means.. Can you explain what, "arrow and box method", "orbital method", "shorthand arrow and box method" and "shorthand orbital method" are?

As what is "1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 ....." ?

Thanks!
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hi, I was told to present my work in these ways, but I'm unsure what it means.. Can you explain what, "arrow and box method", "orbital method", "shorthand arrow and box method" and "shorthand orbital method" are?

As what is "1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 ....." ?

Thanks!

The way the electrons fit into orbitals (maximum 2 per orbital) according to the aufbau system.

Energy shells are subdivided into sub-shells and sub-shells contain specific number of orbitals.

Electrons fill orbitals from lowest energy upwards and two electrons in the same orbital have to have opposite spins. This is sometimes represented by up arrows and down arrows. The orbitals are represented as boxes.

This shows the aufbau principle applied to strontium.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
The way the electrons fit into orbitals (maximum 2 per orbital) according to the aufbau system.

Energy shells are subdivided into sub-shells and sub-shells contain specific number of orbitals.

Electrons fill orbitals from lowest energy upwards and two electrons in the same orbital have to have opposite spins. This is sometimes represented by up arrows and down arrows. The orbitals are represented as boxes.

This shows the aufbau principle applied to strontium.

It's not that I don't understand it, but I just don't understand what 'format' I'm meant to write them in.

Like the arrows thing, is the the "arrow and box" or the "shorthand arrow and box"? I'm just not sure how you should display them.
It's not that I don't understand it, but I just don't understand what 'format' I'm meant to write them in.

Like the arrows thing, is the the "arrow and box" or the "shorthand arrow and box"? I'm just not sure how you should display them.

Well, I would guess that the 'arrow in box' means the diagram type that I uploaded.

'Shorthand' is 1s2 2s2 etc.

'Shorthand arrow in box' probably means use horizontal lines to represent the boxes.

You can also abbreviate the full shells using noble gases, for example chromium becomes:

[Ar] 4s1 3d5
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Well, I would guess that the 'arrow in box' means the diagram type that I uploaded.

'Shorthand' is 1s2 2s2 etc.

'Shorthand arrow in box' probably means use horizontal lines to represent the boxes.

You can also abbreviate the full shells using noble gases, for example chromium becomes:

[Ar] 4s1 3d5

What about orbitals then? What would the normal vs. shorthand version be? :colondollar:
What about orbitals then? What would the normal vs. shorthand version be? :colondollar:

These are orbitals.

The sub-shell is broken down into individual orbitals. Each box, or horizontal line, or reference (3s, 3px, 3py, 3pz etc) represents an orbital.

The full scheme of orbitals can be referenced by:

1. The energy level
2. The sub-shell type
3. The magnetic axial reference

The electrons are then referenced by their spin, either +1/2 or -1/2

Hence:

3d(xy)1 shows the third energy level, the d sub-shell, the dxy orbital, and there is one electron in it.
Reply 6
Original post by charco
These are orbitals.

The sub-shell is broken down into individual orbitals. Each box, or horizontal line, or reference (3s, 3px, 3py, 3pz etc) represents an orbital.

The full scheme of orbitals can be referenced by:

1. The energy level
2. The sub-shell type
3. The magnetic axial reference

The electrons are then referenced by their spin, either +1/2 or -1/2

Hence:

3d(xy)1 shows the third energy level, the d sub-shell, the dxy orbital, and there is one electron in it.

I know that they are orbitals, it's just that my sheet says to express some elements in "arrow and box", some in "shorthand arrow and box", some in "orbital" some in "shorthand orbital".

So I assume that the arrow and box is the diagram you showed. What is the shorthand arrow and box? As I though that using just (i.e. for helium 1S^2) that would be the shorthand orbital not the short hand arrow and box?

I know this is confusing, but I didn't know there would be 4 ways to express these electron configurations?
I know that they are orbitals, it's just that my sheet says to express some elements in "arrow and box", some in "shorthand arrow and box", some in "orbital" some in "shorthand orbital".

So I assume that the arrow and box is the diagram you showed. What is the shorthand arrow and box? As I though that using just (i.e. for helium 1S^2) that would be the shorthand orbital not the short hand arrow and box?

I know this is confusing, but I didn't know there would be 4 ways to express these electron configurations?

Like I said, I think the shorthand 'arrow in box' means represent the boxes as horizontal lines with the arrows cutting through them....

... but I could be wrong :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by charco
Like I said, I think the shorthand 'arrow in box' means represent the boxes as horizontal lines with the arrows cutting through them....

... but I could be wrong :biggrin:

Ahh okay, and short hand orbitals? Or is just "1s^2" already shorthand? Whereby, what is the longhand then? :tongue: Working this out is even harder than the homework itself! :rolleyes:
Ahh okay, and short hand orbitals? Or is just "1s^2" already shorthand? Whereby, what is the longhand then? :tongue: Working this out is even harder than the homework itself! :rolleyes:

It's already shorthand
Original post by charco
It's already shorthand

So what is its longer form? As I'm told to write my answer in both "orbital" and "shorthand orbital", so what would be the form of the former one? :s-smilie: Sorry for so many questions! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest